PDA

View Full Version : Troy Industries at SHOT

Stickman
20 January 2010, 17:05
As of this point, I think Troy Industries has the most new products that I've seen from any one manufacturer. Things to look for are a new polymer magazine, new stock, pistol grip, low HK sights, rapid adjust sights, ambi-mag release, ambi-safety, ambi-bolt release, enhanced trigger guard and more.

I'll get pictures up as soon as I'm able, but I figure this is a good place to start with info.

Stickman
20 January 2010, 17:32
Here is a little info on the polymer mags.... I'm headed out to the race, I'll post more later.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/01/20/troy-industries-new-polymer-magazine/

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/troy-magazines/stck0215.jpg

ryanm
21 January 2010, 12:23
I'm really curious to see what else they have coming out. I'm betting their partnership with ruger is fruitful!

ryanm
21 January 2010, 18:11
They updated their page today with all the new stuff

http://store.troyind.com/category_s/146.htm

The ambi safety solution they've come up with is what I've been hoping would come along for a long time. I was about to say screw it and just buy more LMT ambi's but now that Troy has this I'll buy a few and see what happens. I really dislike the tiny set screw on the current ambi safetys that are on the market. I've had the tiny allen wrench shear off in the screw while tightening and that was just a hell of a mess. Sheared off level with the screw head of course, couldn't possibly shear and leave a nub to pull it out!

Policetacteam
21 January 2010, 19:34
Troy is really making a statement this year!!! I love that ambidextrous safety selector! Most right handed shooters complain about the oppsite side being too large and their hands are running into the lever. This safety selector solves that plus the detent plunger is a smart move as well! Troy really got it right!!!

markm
22 January 2010, 18:01
I'd love to try one of those mags out. It's hard to imagine a polymer mag that will come close to the efforts and design of the PMAG.

Ryo
23 January 2010, 11:58
So that handguard wasn't new as well? First time seeing it. Thought it was pretty light.

tac40
23 January 2010, 21:33
did you see the ar15 mag with the t-shape handle at the bottom where the floor plate would go?

Stickman
23 January 2010, 21:47
New Rapid Adjust Battle Sight from Troy.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/WEVO%20II/STCK0647-1024-stick.jpg

Ryo
23 January 2010, 23:56
Darn.. didn't spot that one. Looks pretty nice. What did you thick of it Stick? Feel like it was secure enough?

rob_s
24 January 2010, 01:56
Interesting that they appear to be coming out with their own version of the BAD (http://store.troyind.com/Ambidextrous_Bolt_Release_p/sbol-amb-00bt-00.htm)

Paulo_Santos
24 January 2010, 05:56
I love the Troy BUIS, but who is seriously going o use heir BUIS to shoot out to 400-500 yards?

m24shooter
24 January 2010, 08:00
Paulo, there are optimists everywhere.
The sight is an interesting idea, although I don't know how much fun it would be (if you're the sight-fidgeting sort) to be messing with the front sight for elevation, and possibly the rear as well for the truly OCD-oriented sight dopers.

HeavyDuty
24 January 2010, 09:47
I'm finding that new buttstock strangely compelling.

Stickman
24 January 2010, 11:15
The new sight feels as solid as their original sight. Since their rear sight has no adjustment, this allows them to get into that market with something original.

WEVO and Military Times are going to be getting most of these items pretty early on for eval, so we'll be seeing more of it pretty soon. The SHOT images are lacking, but its the best I could do under show lighting conditions. We'll see more detail once we have items in hand.

Army Chief
24 January 2010, 14:24
I'm definitely intrigued by the ambi possibilities -- wasn't expecting any of this. Any idea if the selector could be reversed to bias the full size lever to the starboard side?

AC

iamjonscranium
27 January 2010, 13:31
I'm going to try to say something positive...

The stock looks like it has good ergonomics.

Besides that, what does their polymer line offer that you can't find elsewhere?

What does the Battlemag offer that the Pmag doesn't?

What does the CQB grip offer that the standard A2 grip doesn't? What makes it CQB? What makes it more CQB over the Stark's low grip angle? What's the benefit of 'setting your hand close to the receiver?"

Not saying I wouldn't buy a Battlemag just to have something different... And I guess if you like the AK grip, the Battle grip might be your thing...

Stickman
27 January 2010, 17:39
I'm definitely intrigued by the ambi possibilities -- wasn't expecting any of this. Any idea if the selector could be reversed to bias the full size lever to the starboard side?

AC

My understanding is that it can not.

Stickman
27 January 2010, 17:41
I'm going to try to say something positive...

The stock looks like it has good ergonomics.

Besides that, what does their polymer line offer that you can't find elsewhere?

What does the Battlemag offer that the Pmag doesn't?

What does the CQB grip offer that the standard A2 grip doesn't? What makes it CQB? What makes it more CQB over the Stark's low grip angle? What's the benefit of 'setting your hand close to the receiver?"

Not saying I wouldn't buy a Battlemag just to have something different... And I guess if you like the AK grip, the Battle grip might be your thing...

All of us as consumers do well when someone develops new products. I'll be getting some of this equipment for T&E, from my initial handling, it should do well. The exception is the magazine, I have no idea how that will do.

chem_guy
28 January 2010, 15:18
Any thoughts/photos on the Claymore Muzzle Break?

missiontrails
29 January 2010, 18:28
The new Battle Ax stock looks like a horizontal bottle of motor oil, with a touch of mailbox when you open the garage door in the butt:)

armakraut
31 January 2010, 00:06
That new grip reminds me of the STG-44 grip

tracksol
31 January 2010, 00:43
My understanding is that it can not.
So it's an ambi selector that still favors right handers? [bash] They should have made both side low profile!

rob_s
31 January 2010, 05:57

AC

As you probably know, Colt's levers are now reversible. Troy would do well to investigate this and copy that functionality.

Army Chief
31 January 2010, 06:16
Good morning, Rob!

Absolutely -- that was the basis for my question. Not that offside levers are essential kit (even for southpaws), but I do find it more convenient to have that capability, and I'm rapidly moving past the point in my career where cross-team standardization is of paramount importance.

Troy's approach here would seem to mimic a lot of 1911 ambis, in that they offer a reduced-size offside lever. I've never quite understood that, given that the core market for such a component is likely to be the portsider who would prefer a full size lever on his primary side. Not so?

Whatever the case, Colt's approach does seem to make a certain amount of sense, given that dual selectors do tend to create minor manipulation woes, and add (however negligibly) to the potential for snagging/fouling or inadvertent offside actuation.

AC

tracksol
31 January 2010, 19:52
I like the internals of Troy's selector. It would be better though if both levers were full size that way someone could switch from safe to fire/happy with their thumb and then switch back to safe with the trigger finger so that you don't use the topside of your thumb/nail.

AnimalMother556
31 January 2010, 21:43
I like the internals of Troy's selector. It would be better though if both levers were full size that way someone could switch from safe to fire/happy with their thumb and then switch back to safe with the trigger finger so that you don't use the topside of your thumb/nail.

I believe the right side is shorter so as not to interfere with your trigger finger, which can remove flesh under high volume fire or on larger caliber AR variants. There may be other reasons for it as well.

Ryo
31 January 2010, 22:25
I believe the right side is shorter so as not to interfere with your trigger finger, which can remove flesh under high volume fire or on larger caliber AR variants. There may be other reasons for it as well.

That would be my guess as well. Kind of how KAC removes some of the right side of the selector switch.

tracksol
1 February 2010, 20:20
Then material should be removed from both sides. As Troy's and KAC's are now, they're still biased towards right handers.

I'm right handed but shoot rifle southpaw.

Ryo
1 February 2010, 20:29
True it's bias to right hand shooter.. but the AR15 was designed bias as well. I remember there was a discussion about doing both sides made it more difficult for the thumb (right hand) to engage the safety. Personally I prefer it that way.. but then again I'm right handed. ;)

I can't remember but there was one guy on ARFCOM that sold Stag and/or LMT ambi with the modification. If I recal correctly he offered both sides or one side milled.

tracksol
2 February 2010, 21:38
I agree the AR15 is a right handed weapon, but even still, my manual of arms as a southpaw is less than the traditional manual of arms. I can hit the bolt catch and bolt release with my left index finger. I can rock the safety with my thumb and/or index finger. Then I can use my right hand for support, magazine release and charging handle.

Back on topic: Troy's selector looks like a great quality piece. Maybe I'll get one and have it milled locally.