PDA

View Full Version : Ejector Face Polishing

Specialized Armament
24 January 2010, 08:58
Reference: [http://http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16968#post16968 (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16968#post16968)

The bolt assembly, emphasis on the ejector, pictured in this thread appears to be "out of spec". The face of the ejector should rest at or just below the face of the bolt. While there is no official specification for the relationship between the two (bolt face to ejector face), we can back into this conclusion because we know:

1. ejector dimensions
2. ejector cavity depth
3. ejector pin location

Any of these, or a combination of them, being out of spec may be the cause of what we see in the photo in the thread above. While a rough ejector face will cause brass shavings, the extractor snapping over the rim of the case is the primary cause of the shavings. While we don't recommend altering your ejector face, it would be a good idea to make sure it remains square to limit any unintended consequences.

- Danger Close

Quib
24 January 2010, 09:43
Thank you for your input and bringing this defect to my attention.

After comparing the bolt in my tutorial, to those on my other weapons, the ejector on this bolt does in fact sit lower in the ejector pocket. Although I have had no problems with this weapon, I shall see about swapping out this bolt with a quality replacement.

I agree, that extractor snapping in addition to ejector swipe do in fact both cause brass deposits on the face of the bolt. It has been my personal experience that particles accumulated particularly around the ejector are caused by the ejector itself. While of course extractor modifications to eliminate brass shavings would be unwarranted and not recommended, I personally feel chamfering of the ejector face to be a relatively simple task to at least eliminate that particular source of brass deposits.

I feel totally competent in my abilities to perform this polishing task without adversely altering the trueness of the ejector face. But in light of your post, to prevent any complications for our readers who may be considering this, I will remove this tutorial from the forum to prevent the possibility of any “unintended consequences” as you put it.

Thank you again for your input.

Specialized Armament
24 January 2010, 10:27
You are on target, don't take the post down. New, Brand X ejectors often have a "tit" where two ejectors were separated along with rough edges. Armamlite ejectors are a good example. Deburing the ejector may be necessary in some circumstances. You may want to just append your post with a cautionary note.

Quib
24 January 2010, 10:29
Here is my best attempt at taking a photo of the ejector straight on. I believe the angle of the original photo may have led to the “out-of-spec” appearance of the ejector.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4055/4300531675_dd7df24ac5_o.png

Quib
24 January 2010, 10:33
You are on target, don't take the post down. New, Brand X ejectors often have a "tit" where two ejectors were separated along with rough edges. Armamlite ejectors are a good example. Deburing the ejector may be necessary in some circumstances. You may want to just append your post with a cautionary note.

My polishing of the face itself was so minimal, that the “tit” as you call it (the breakaway point where the ejector material was cut away from the stock material) was still visible. Smoothed out, but yet still slightly visible.

ETA: Photo

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/4300571927_cae19b8873_o.png

Specialized Armament
24 January 2010, 10:55
You are right about the camera angle. The extractorless view looks good.

Stickman
24 January 2010, 11:09
Is that you Ken?

Specialized Armament
24 January 2010, 11:47
Is that you Ken?

It will be me or Mark posting under SA. Just want to quietly contribute on special occasions.

Army Chief
24 January 2010, 13:59
Welcome, Ken -- very good to see you in the neighborhood! Just upgraded your account to reflect "Manufacturer" status.

AC / SAW LE 6920HB #43 out of 300. :)

Stickman
24 January 2010, 14:53
It will be me or Mark posting under SA. Just want to quietly contribute on special occasions.

Thanks, if it hadn't been you guys the poster would have been kicked for using your info and logo. This is a different board, we will always be smaller than the others, and strive to stay inline with information that is credible from end users.

Welcome to the board.

Quib
24 January 2010, 15:59
Deburing the ejector may be necessary in some circumstances.

I agree. This procedure is not always necessary.

New, Brand X ejectors often have a "tit" where two ejectors were separated along with rough edges. Armamlite ejectors are a good example.

Below are bolts from two of my other weapons (#1 & #2), along with the bolt that I polished the ejector on (#3).

Bolt #1 is unmodified. It does show very clearly the “tit”. But this “tit” is not as pronounced and is very flat. The edges of this ejector are slightly chamfered, and this bolt produces what I consider normal amounts of shavings. Mainly, as you pointed out above, shavings from the extractor.

Bolt #2 is unmodified as well. It shows very little if any real evidence of a “tit” and has a very smooth factory face. The edges of this ejector are also factory chamfered very similar to the ejector that I personally chamfered and polished.

Bolt #3 is of course the ejector which I personally modified, and the one I used in my tutorial.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2711/4301391583_c1bf3f678c_o.png

Specialized Armament
24 January 2010, 16:38
Thanks, if it hadn't been you guys the poster would have been kicked for using your info and logo. This is a different board, we will always be smaller than the others, and strive to stay inline with information that is credible from end users.

Welcome to the board.

The format is a welcome change to the usual insanity. Credibility is what the other sites are missing. Will watch the forum while traveling. Mark is my sales/operations contact at the shop. Good guy and knows his Colts. Thanks for the warm welcome.

K-Rock

cmoore
24 January 2010, 23:16
Nice to see Ken E. from SA chiming in...hope all is well with you guys in AZ...the M4's we got from you guys are still rockin' out here in 'Dago...we had one "deep six" after a police boat crash a couple of years ago...we stripped/cleaned it and it runs like new....BTW Quib, those pics came out awesome...great detail..

Quib
25 January 2010, 03:54
....BTW Quib, those pics came out awesome...great detail..

LOL......thanks.

I could have done better, but they were snapped pretty hastily in order to take advantage of Mr. Elmore’s professional opinion. It’s not very often I get my work critiqued by a professional such as himself! [:)]

Quib
25 January 2010, 16:39
Original thread has been updated with an additional diagram further explaining my intent behind the polishing procedure.

SR556
18 October 2012, 11:09
Will the pictures be re-hosted or are they available in another post?