PDA

View Full Version : Magpul / KAC Carbine

Stickman
24 January 2010, 20:43
Here are a few pictures from the SHOT Show KAC/ Magpul carbine. If there are 100 or more weapons ordered, these will go into production. If not, its simply a concept carbine.

CTR stock FDE

MOE grip FDE

KAC lower with full ambi-controls

KAC ambi-safety

KAC trigger guard

KAC micro sight

KAC Triple Tap Brake

KAC Dimpled Barrel

Laser engraved KAC/ Magpul Dynamics/ SR-15 E3

Magpul ASP plate

KAC URX rail

KAC low profile gas block

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/KAC/STCK0671-10224-Stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/KAC/STCK0677-1024-Stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/KAC/STCK0672-1024-Stick.jpg

Stickman
24 January 2010, 20:44
http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/KAC/STCK0679-1024-Stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/KAC/STCK0678-1024-Stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/KAC/STCK0681-1024-Stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/KAC/STCK0676-1024-Stick.jpg

WileyCoyote
24 January 2010, 22:18
Hey Stick very nice rifle. Where can I get one? Thanks

N8dawg16
25 January 2010, 12:36
Now that's a good looking rifle. Kudos to both companies for offering well thought out equipment. That would be worth ordering.

N8dawg16

Stickman
25 January 2010, 13:09
I've got an email out to KAC, I want to make sure I have prices and availability correct before I make any misleading comments.

WileyCoyote
25 January 2010, 13:17
I've got an email out to KAC, I want to make sure I have prices and availability correct before I make any misleading comments.

I called them this morning and talked to a guy named Jim and he informed me to contact an authorized dealer. I emailed Grant at G&R Tactical and he said he isnt ordering any cause KAC wants money down upfront. I cant get ahold of anyone at this point or get them to return my phone calls. Do you know a KAC dealer I can call? Or I will just wait until you get back to this post. Thanks

Stickman
25 January 2010, 13:42
I'm going to wait until I get clarification from them. I am unsure if a Magpul dealer with a FFL can get them, or it was to be only an KAC dealer. I had also heard that any FFL can make an order on these.

A few different rumors, and I don't know whats legit at this point.

TripleBravo
25 January 2010, 16:05
I'm going to wait until I get clarification from them. I am unsure if a Magpul dealer with a FFL can get them, or it was to be only an KAC dealer. I had also heard that any FFL can make an order on these.

Please let it be this!

Lastrites
25 January 2010, 16:26
Top knotch photos once again. Rifle looks like it has some great features. Now is it my monitor or does the upper have a slight purple/blue hint to it as compared to the lower?

Stickman
25 January 2010, 16:30
Top knotch photos once again. Rifle looks like it has some great features. Now is it my monitor or does the upper have a slight purple/blue hint to it as compared to the lower?

The lighting is mixed and horrid, plus I didn't set a manual whitebalance for that shot. I would use these asrough images, not anything to really get a good feel for the weapon or check out details.

Slippers
25 January 2010, 17:10

I saw the rifle in person at Shot. On that specific one, the colors weren't actually that far off, but the texture was. The upper seemed to have a rougher bead blast type finish.

ryanm
26 January 2010, 09:45
what are the benefits of the dimpled barrel? I'm not sure I'm a fan of that unless it results in much faster barrel cooling. Because it has the KAC break and the dimpled barrel I'm going to guess this will be a $2599-$2799 setup.

WileyCoyote
26 January 2010, 10:12
Grant from G & R Tactical just emailed me the price. Wait for it....

$3200 shipped. OUCH! I can by a regular SR-15 E3 IWS for $2000 and ad the triple tap brake and the Magpul drab that I want for way less. The barrel and triple tap brake is what really attracts me to this rifle not the Magpul drab. Buy once cry once right.

Stickman
26 January 2010, 11:23
I saw the rifle in person at Shot. On that specific one, the colors weren't actually that far off, but the texture was. The upper seemed to have a rougher bead blast type finish.

Not uncommon for something slapped together as a SHOT concept.

Stickman
26 January 2010, 11:25
Grant from G & R Tactical just emailed me the price. Wait for it....

$3200 shipped. OUCH! I can by a regular SR-15 E3 IWS for $2000 and ad the triple tap brake and the Magpul drab that I want for way less. The barrel and triple tap brake is what really attracts me to this rifle not the Magpul drab. Buy once cry once right.

The barrel is special, and that dimpled design has a patent on it. Faster cooling, and lighter barrel are key points.

TripleBravo
26 January 2010, 14:37
The lighting is mixed and horrid, plus I didn't set a manual whitebalance for that shot. I would use these asrough images, not anything to really get a good feel for the weapon or check out details.

I'm not nearly as skilled or experienced, Stick...but I wondered how anyone could take a really good picture at Shot (without bringing in a studio set up)...as you said, the lighting sucked for quality photography.

Dutch
26 January 2010, 15:35
triplebravo,

Please don't pursue this line of thought with Stick, if he could figure a way to mount studio lights on my back he would and then add batteries to a hip belt. Rough pictures at shot are what might have to work for a while until I get bionic knees, shoulders and light weight spinal support.

The photos do look good for the piss poor lighting we found most places.

Dutch

Stickman
26 January 2010, 16:26
Help, help!! The Sherpas are revolting!!

NickDrak
26 January 2010, 16:37
Doesnt look like the gasblock is pinned. That would be my only concern. Otherwise it looks like a great package spec-wise.

srtsam
27 January 2010, 06:17
LOVE it and want it. i agree with what somesaid earlier, I could care less about the magpul panels, grip and stock, the barrle and brake is where its at on this. Hope my guy can get one.

uspopo
27 January 2010, 12:04
I have a SR15 IWS lower so if KAC decides to sell the upper only (less the Magpul laser etching) I would buy one.

WileyCoyote
28 January 2010, 00:23
I have a SR15 IWS lower so if KAC decides to sell the upper only (less the Magpul laser etching) I would buy one.

Here ya go sir

http://www.knesekguns.com/commercial/Rifles-Knights-Armament/c2_13/p275/Knights-Armament-SR-15-IWS-Upper-Receiver-Assembly/product_info.html

tac40
28 January 2010, 07:05
Great shots. The Magpul/KAC was a very nice AR, as with the toys, need to work so I can buy.

madkow
28 January 2010, 18:30
Stickman, I missed you by a few seconds. We passed each other upstairs by the main lobby booths on the last day. By the time I realized it was you and turned around, you were gone.

Thanks for the pictures, I have a hard time remembering some the things that I saw. You doing any pics for Magpul classes this year?

Stickman
28 January 2010, 18:34
Stickman, I missed you by a few seconds. We passed each other upstairs by the main lobby booths on the last day. By the time I realized it was you and turned around, you were gone.

Thanks for the pictures, I have a hard time remembering some the things that I saw. You doing any pics for Magpul classes this year?

You should have just yelled, I missed you. Not sure about the courses for Magpul this year, but stranger things have certainly happened. [BD]

You going to be at the next one?

madkow
28 January 2010, 18:42
You going to be at the next one?

I was on a mission and moving pretty fast through the crowd. I hope to hit the next one they are having up north but it is full already, so we will see what happens.

d90king
31 January 2010, 06:14
Looks like a nice rifle, price will determine the level of interest. At a glance it looks like a SR15 with a TT and golf ball barrel. I wish it had a heavier stock to balance the rifle...

Army Chief
31 January 2010, 06:20
Off topic, but is that user name a reference to the LR Defender?

Whatever the case, welcome to WEVO!

AC

krinkle
31 January 2010, 13:16
I'd buy one. Unfortunately I live in CA, and cannot have one.

Banned:

Knights
SR-15 (all)

SR-25 (all)

RAS (all)

d90king
31 January 2010, 17:02
Off topic, but is that user name a reference to the LR Defender?

Whatever the case, welcome to WEVO!

AC

It is, good catch! For years I was a very large D90 dealer and am still a Rover guy to this day. With the kids and Labs its a Supercharged Sport these days...

Thanks for the welcome. Really looks like a great site. I look forward to spending some time here.

Army Chief
31 January 2010, 17:58
We're striving for a very high signal-to-noise ratio around here, and always have room for those with similiar priorities.

I've a soft spot for Defenders, and nearly pulled the trigger on one a few months ago. Alas, with two kids in college it came down to a $20k differential that landed me in a Jeep TJ, but I've a lot of respect for the uncompromising purity of the D-90/D-110 family.

AC

Teutonic
11 February 2010, 12:53

Any updates on this setup? Price & availability? Thanks! [BD]

Stickman
11 February 2010, 14:52
Looks like its a go, but there may be changes to the weapon to make it even lighter.

Rated21R
26 February 2010, 09:09
so sweet, but the price will make it mostly a dream for me.

Ryo
27 February 2010, 03:01
I wonder how "anorexic" Trey is planning on making it.

Ryo
3 March 2010, 15:39
Your other problem would be finding a way to get it shipped to CA. KAC will not ship to CA.

B4RAZ
4 April 2010, 05:04
If this is still available count me in! Has anyone ordered one yet?

B4RAZ
4 April 2010, 05:07
If these are still available you can count me in. This is pretty much my dream gun. How do I order?

Stickman
4 April 2010, 09:29
They are not out yet, and as far as I know, they are still being worked on to determine final configuration.

gotm4
4 April 2010, 12:07
Travis showed me the rifle at SHOT. It's very nice and VERY light.
I wish I could afford one.

yxl2
24 April 2010, 06:07
that is hot

pistolpistols
24 April 2010, 17:46
Wow this is awesome. I will keep my eye open I am just curious what price it will be at.

OneKYards
28 May 2010, 23:31
KAC is doing well with the Military contracts right now. I am surprised that they would even pick up the phone at this point.

Beautiful Barrel on that Rifle. That's its best feature. If I am going to pay 2k-3k+ for an AR, it had better be a FN SCAR, LMT Piston, LWRC or something equal.

Stickman
29 May 2010, 07:19
KAC is doing well with the Military contracts right now. I am surprised that they would even pick up the phone at this point.

Beautiful Barrel on that Rifle. That's its best feature. If I am going to pay 2k-3k+ for an AR, it had better be a FN SCAR, LMT Piston, LWRC or something equal.

I can understand your point, but there are guys who think $2 or 3,000 is nothing. There is no doubt in my mind that its going to be a fantastic carbine, and the longer KAC plays around with its configuration, the better it is going to be.

All ARs are not created equal, and its going to be interesting to see the final product.

TehLlama
29 May 2010, 08:55
Pump 10,000 rounds down the pipe and suddenly the difference between couple hundred dollars up front evaporates. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this thing can go toe to two with any other weapon system out there. It's not that $3k is nothing to that many people, it's that it costs money to have accurate ergonomic systems that have a higher number of rounds between failures.