PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Tailor Mini-MAV Review

Eric
13 December 2007, 16:01
The Tactical Tailor Mini-MAV release: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143

Tactical Tailor isn’t a new name to me, so I was happy to get the opportunity to review the Mini-MAV chest rig. Tactical Tailor is a local manufacturer that has grown much larger than when I first began to use their products about eight years ago. Rainier Gear commissioned Tactical Tailor to supply them with a trimmed down version of their standard MAV (Modular Assault Vest).

The Mini-MAV that I received came with a triple M16 magazine carrier and two pistol magazine carriers. The Mini-MAV arrived in MARPART Woodland and the magazine carriers were OD. The carriers are affixed to the Mini-MAV by way of Tactical Tailor’s MALICE clips, which easily threaded through the webbing and securely held the carriers in place. I loaded this rig with three USGI M16 mags, a Glock 21 mag and a Spyderco Chinook folder in the other pistol magazine carrier.

This particular chest rig is configured to carry less gear than some larger units, but the goal of this rig does not appear to be to carry a full battle load. Rather, it gives the user the ability to carry additional magazines and a few other items that might be needed. In an LEO application, it supplements what is already being carried on the duty belt.

The straps are fully adjustable and will allow for placement of the chest rig over existing gear, such as body armor. The lower strap on the rig goes around the waist, while the upper straps are routed over the shoulders, cross in the back and come back around to the front. While the routing of the webbing was initially a bit clumsy, I found that after a bit of practice I was fully strapped in within about five seconds. With physical activity, I found that the upper straps did slide off the shoulders a bit. I’m thinking that wider straps with a tacky backing might solve this.

The triple M16 magazine carrier is slick. Mags are held in place by elastic cording with an easy to grasp tab on the top. If quicker access in needed and retention is not an issue, the cord can be moved off to the side. Even without the retention cord in place, the mags stayed put throughout my testing. USGI, Magpul Pmags, Thermolds and Orlite mags all fit and came out easily. When I first received the Mini-MAV, the magazine fit was a bit tight, but after a couple months of use it’s no longer an issue. Speed loads and tac loads were easily done out of the Min-MAV.

Identification of office can be incredibly important in many situations, so I had a “POLICE” panel secured to the front of the M16 magazine carrier, by way of MALICE clips.

I found that the construction of the Mini-MAV was solid. Stitching was tight and clean. With the component approach used, the owner can decide which Tactical Tailor modular pouches are used.

This piece of gear could be handy for the LEO who wants to have extra ammo ready to go in an active shooter or other hot incident. Relying on a singe magazine in the weapon is foolish. The Mini-MAV is also an easy way to carry a few extra mags when running drills or participating in training. With my existing duty load and running the Mini-MAV as seen, I’ll have 120 rounds of .223 and 53 rounds of .45 on my person. That’s a good start.

The Mini-MAV is $37.00 for the bare MAV with additional pouches available. Contact todd@rainiergear.net

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Mini%20MAV/IMG_2452.jpg