PDA

View Full Version : Patent Pending - How Long?

knguye11
28 January 2010, 16:14
Does any one know how long a product that has Patent Pending becomes Patented. Most guns accessories I see are in Patent Pending status. For example, Troy Industries sights, I had a set several years ago which had Pending status, and today with a brand new same set I brought still says Patent Pending. Does it take that long to have your design patented?

Stickman
28 January 2010, 16:44
There are a bunch of companies that simple lie and slap it on the side. I do not mean Troy, but its common with some others.

There are some people here who are going through the process, I'll let them add more info if they choose.

JTrusty
28 January 2010, 17:01
Patent Application processing can be likened to NFA processing in terms of time lines. I have seen patents granted in as little as 8 months and others take as long as 4 years. There are far too many factors involved to be able to estimate how long it will take for a patent application to be approved and a patent granted.

That said, Stick is correct. Some shady companies choose to mark their products patent pending having never filed for a patent, which incidentally is illegal. However, you can always check the USPTO.gov website to check on the status of a patent if you are unsure.

Is there any particular reason why it disturbs you that your newly purchased sight still says patent pending? It doesn't affect function or aesthetics and is simply there to let competing companies know that a patent has been applied for.

Slippers
29 January 2010, 08:29
I've personally gone through several patent applications for my own work. Initially, you apply for a provisional patent. This is very inexpensive, and gives you a one year window in which to complete and apply for a full patent. During this year you're also allowed to label your product as "patent pending." Typically you apply for the provisional and have approval back within a couple weeks. The USPTO does not really analyze your provisional application, either, so you can write anything you want.

Many companies do provisional patents just so they can have the "patent pending" label, and then never follow through with the actual patent application.

Stickman
29 January 2010, 09:30
Is there any particular reason why it disturbs you that your newly purchased sight still says patent pending?

It bothers me that people would say that have it pending if they don't. Lies speak volumes about an individual or company. While we all make mistakes, outright false information is different. If you forked out the money for a patent attorney, you would know it.

If it just takes a long time, thats different, and I'm good with that.

knguye11
6 February 2010, 22:37
When I first saw the LMT MRP 16" about 5 years ago on the handguard show Patent Pending. Recently, I purchased a new upper, Patent Pending still on their latest handguard. :confused:

d90king
7 February 2010, 05:39
When I first saw the LMT MRP 16" about 5 years ago on the handguard show Patent Pending. Recently, I purchased a new upper, Patent Pending still on their latest handguard. :confused:

Are you inferring that LMT is shady with the MRP design? If I remember correctly they did create a unique mono upper with a unique barrel system first. Whats shady about that?