PDA

View Full Version : Best AR Upgrades

magpul_556
30 January 2010, 07:04
I built an AR this summer and absolutly love it, ive shot about 700 rounds through it and feel pretty confortable with the open sights and the overall feel and function of the rifle. Now im looking to improve on my carbine and shooting skills. I want to put some more money into it and dont know what would be the next best upgrade for combat style shooting, which is mostly what i do. Usually under 100 yds. Im looking to be a faster shooter(moslty more practice)and have a more reliable carbine.This is my current set up what do you guys reccomend? Thanks

Lower Reciever
POF Gen 1 Billet Lower
Armalite Lower Parts Kit
Magpul UBR
Standard Carbine Buffer
Magpul MOE Trigger Gaurd
Magpul BAD Lever
Magpul MIAD
KNS Anti-Rotational Pins

Upper Reciever
Black Rain Ordnance Upper
Spikes Tactical BCG
Daniel Defense 12" LITE Rail
Noveske 16" Stainless Recce Barrel
AAC SPR/M4 Flash Hider
BCM Gunfighter
Tango Down Stubby
Magpul Back Up Sights

My Ideas

Blue Force Gear Redi-Mod
Some Sort of Light Configuration
KAC Sights
Optic? Acog?

Dos Cylindros
30 January 2010, 07:54
I would opt for a light and an optic. For a light, the Sure Fire scout systems are hard to beat.

As for an optic, you said you primarily shoot under 100 so there is no need for a ACOG. I would go with an Aimpont t-1/h-1 or M4/M4S. I have the comp M4 and think it is the best optic made.

When you say you want a "more reliable" carbine, are you saying you are having troubles with yours? If that's the case, it would be the first thing I irond out before spending money on anyting else.

magpul_556
30 January 2010, 08:20
No, Ive never had any problems at all. I mean reliability upgrades like h buffers, coated bolt carrier groups, stuff like that. Things that are said to increase the reliability of the AR platform.

rcrandall
30 January 2010, 08:20
I have to echo Cylindros. For red dots I use Aimpoint T-1's with Larue tall mounts, it's small for a good field of view, it's lightweight, rugged, holds zero, and has a 50,000 hour battery life. I have yet to find conditions where I could wash the dot out. I use Surefire Scout lights (LED). Depending on how you shoot you can mount the light on the left side (if your right handed) of the rail and activate the push button with your thumb. If you like to use a vertical foregrip I recommend the LaRue FUG. It's pricey but built like a tank and comes with three tail caps to change the length. It also comes with lengths of rubber intertube to secure a pressure pad for a light. I use the FUG and mount the light on the right side of the rails and use the pressure pad secured to the FUG. I also use Vickers Tactical Combat Application Slings with Daniel Defense QD points. It's taken me a number of years to finally come up with the closest to perfect (for me) system. Below is a picture of my SWAT weapon: LWRC M6A2 PSD 8.5" barrel 6.8mm with the above mentioned accessories. It takes most shooters trying a number of variations to find the right system for them. Good luck.

Edit: this is an older photo and I didn't have the Daniel Defense QD sling mounts yet.

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq231/rcrandall_bucket/100_5820-1-1-1.jpg

Army Chief
30 January 2010, 09:06
One of the perils of building a carbine for recreational/defensive purposes, rather than to meet a specific operational need, is that it is often hard to know "when to say when." You've made some good choices to this point, and although I'm not sure what might be driving your wish list from this point forward, I would agree that there is always a place for a quality light, sling and (if desired) optic.

A Red Dot Sight is the obvious choice for 0-100m meter engagements, but I would not be too quick to rule out the ACOG; especially a 3x Compact. If speed is essential, the RDS is definitely going to deliver close-in, but the ACOG offers versatility and target discrimination qualities that might also prove useful.

When you have a specific mission to do, the choice is often obvious, but for a personal carbine, I think a lot of guys make decisions based upon what is trendy, rather than what would actually serve them best. For an SBR, an RDS like the T-1 is an easy choice, but for a 16" carbine, I am increasingly being drawn back to magnification and ACOGs. Which would best meet your needs depends largely upon how you define what those needs are, and I'm not sure that any of us can really help make that decision for you.

AC

Specialized Armament
30 January 2010, 09:40
I agree with Army Chief. The best upgrade is one that is relevant to the mission. What's your mission?

magpul_556
30 January 2010, 10:20
yeah i get what your saying, its hard because i live in rural Maine where there's plenty of woods to hunt and i use my AR all the time whether it be for coyote or deer, but i also shoot a lot "at the range". my nearest range is over 100 miles away, so in gravels pit using vtac targets on mulitple stand along with a few barriers and buildings. i will also use my AR as a duty rifle with the Maine Forest Service as soon as they get their weapons policies straightened out. So yeah, maybe i need a few AR's, or at least one other designated for hunting, but i believe that this is one of the greatest aspect of the AR along with the QD throw levers is the advantage of being able to make any AR compatible with the mission. but at the moment i cant have all these thing so im trying to find a good balance.

federalist22
30 January 2010, 12:25
Thought I would toss in my 2 cents....

Lower Reciever
POF Gen 1 Billet Lower - good - good - could go Gen II and save money on the Magpul trigger guard
Armalite Lower Parts Kit - good, but consider a DD kit, it may be cheaper and still quality
Magpul UBR - good optional, but a functional/comfortable stock is a must and UBR is a good choice
Standard Carbine Buffer - good
Magpul MOE Trigger Gaurd - good if you wear gloves
Magpul BAD Lever - optional, but nice to have
Magpul MIAD - good
KNS Anti-Rotational Pins - not too necessary

** you need a sling system (sling and mount(s))

Upper Reciever
Black Rain Ordnance Upper - ......I've not researched
Spikes Tactical BCG - consider BCM BCG = very nice too
Daniel Defense (DD) 12" LITE Rail - good, put a put a DD low-pro gas block under it and cover the rails with Magpul XTM or ladders
Noveske 16" Stainless Recce Barrel - good
AAC SPR/M4 Flash Hider - consider PWS FSC556 or Rainer XTC and you will get good flash hiding and really good compensation
BCM Gunfighter - good
Tango Down Stubby - good, but consider LaRue grip, or Magpul's new series of forward grips
Magpul Back Up Sights - good, but get a LaRue mount and if staying economical, get Aimpoint CompC3 2MOA dot for primary optic; you can also get the LaRue mount for the Aimpoint 3X magnifier should you desire it.

Hope that gives you some insight into what I thought of your build plans--overall, you have a good plan. I am up in Maine every now and again to visit my in-laws and I must say that it is nice to go out on the family farm and shoot in a free environment.

Riley212
9 February 2010, 00:02
Might think about a better trigger, or getting yours worked on by a smith. a cleaner breaking trigger helps your accuracy.

Cameron
9 February 2010, 08:12
Everything you have is good. I would just add a white light (Surefire or Streamlight) and a red dot sight (EOTech or Aimpoint).

Cameron

magpul_556
9 February 2010, 08:17
yeah, i agree, what would you recomend? i have a G2, which isnt much, but ive considered putting it in a larue mount, but i also like the SCOUT series. WHat do you use?

Cameron
9 February 2010, 08:40
Stickman posted pictures around here of a really cool mount for a G2

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Gear%20Sector/STCK8489-A-10224-Stick.jpg

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/gear-sector-mounts/868w9489-800-mt.jpg

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/gear-sector-mounts/868w9493-1024-stick.jpg

For my lights I use a Surefire X300 in front of my front sight on the Daniel Defense rail. I use a Surefire G2 on my FAL in a hand guard attached mount.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2761/4333300056_082413df24.jpg

I prefer EOTechs over Aimpoints for red dots.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2794/4324845989_ca38eec67b.jpg