PDA

View Full Version : CSAT sight, initial impressions.

GriffonSec
31 January 2010, 17:01
Refamiliarizing myself with the AR platform and coming from pistol classes for the last 8 years, I decided to try out the CSAT sight on my A1, as there won't be a RDS on this rifle.

The 'pistol theory' behind it works well, so far. Very easy to shoot front sight, both eyes open. Playing with it in the backyard today I was shooting point of aim all the way out to about 20 yards. Extremely easy for me to go from a low ready position to rounds on target.

My hiccup so far is using the aperture @ 100 yards or so. The top of the aperture 'ring' disappears (washes out, what have you), and it's giving me a bit of trouble with fast target acquisition, trying for that 'perfect' sight picture.

Anyone else have or have used this sight before? Would like to see if others have similar thoughts.

Bushwacker4
1 February 2010, 07:18
Thanks! Keep us updated on it. I've been looking into one for a while.

Actually, I have a quick question. Does anybody think that the CSAT could be put on the Magpul MBUS? I'm at work and can't really look into it right now.

Creeky73
3 February 2010, 16:24
I had the same question about the CSAT. Just eyeballing pictures, it looks like it would fit any rear sight that uses a standard setup. The sights that it looks like might be problematic are the ones like Larue and some from Midwest Industries where the two apertures are not at a perfect 90 degree angle. I am not sure about the magpul sight, it doesn't look like a standard sight so maybe not. Perhaps this is more common on low-profile rear sights? Again, this is not from experience, just from looking really hard at lots of internet photos, wondering the same thing....However, this is at least the second place where I have read that someone really liked the "pistol" sight aspect of the CSAT but was not too crazy about the 100 yard sight.

dspd204
4 February 2010, 08:40
I've got several MBUS' and a CSAT, as well. The CSAT will not work in the MBUS. The CSAT will work in any BUIS that uses A-2 apertures. I installed it in LT's fixed BUIS, which went pretty smoothly.

Here is my issue with the CSAT. I am a right-handed shooter, but I am left eye dominant. When I aim with the CSAT, the space between the posts of the CSAT rear sight appears to be as wide as the distance between the "ears" of the front sight, so no pistol-like sight picture. When I shot a handgun, I shoot with both eyes open and don't have any problems. Due to the nearness of the AR rear sight to my eyes, I don't see anyway that I could make the CSAT work for me.

Please don't take this as my condemning XS' product because I am not. I routinely use several of their products and their workmanship and customer service are second-to-none. The CSAT problems lie strictly in my eyes.

GriffonSec
5 February 2010, 09:01
dspd,

I get the same sight "spacing" as you, and right eye dominant, however, I haven't run into it causing a problem as yet, though I can see how it may cause issue in your case.

I really haven't had to switch to the 100yd aperture yet, I'm kind of limited on backyard shooting to 40-50 yds max at the moment. That said, out to roughly 40 yds I'm still pretty good to go with the front post. This being my general purpose house gun, I'm really getting to like this particular sight.

dspd204
5 February 2010, 12:05
I just had someone else look through my sights, also. He said that he saw the same thing that I was describing, so maybe my cross-dominance has nothing to do with it. I was expecting a true pistol-like sight picture, which isn't what it is. I still haven't shot with it yet, so I'll wait and see how it works for me next week.

Bushwacker4
5 February 2010, 12:57
Thanks for the MBUS answer. I figured it wouldn't. I'm drawing up an "irons only" upper and was strongly thinking about including this in the build. I'm still pretty sure that I'll use it. I may throw it in a LaRue BUIS or a DD A1.5 BUIS.

dspd204
6 February 2010, 11:16
Bushwacker4, if you're interested, I might be inclined to part with the LT QD BUIS w/ CSAT. I've only had it a week & it's never been shot with...

Let me know.