PDA

View Full Version : MAGNA-MATIC CRT-15 Carbon Removal Tool Review

Quib
6 February 2010, 06:20
MAGNA-MATIC CRT-15 Carbon Removal Tool Review is up.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1999

d90king
6 February 2010, 07:04
Quib, you do outstanding work. I look forward to seeing the results after you have used it on a dirty unit. Thanks for all your work. This could be a useful tool for me as I run 1k before cleaning, I keep them wet and they have never failed me yet.

Quib
6 February 2010, 07:11
Quib, you do outstanding work. I look forward to seeing the results after you have used it on a dirty unit. Thanks for all your work. This could be a useful tool for me as I run 1k before cleaning, I keep them wet and they have never failed me yet.

Thanks for the compliments. I too look forward to Part Two of the review. [:)]

ETA: On a side note....during the preparation and camera set-up for the review, I happened to drop the CRT-15 down into the bolt carrier I used for the photo shoot.

Now, I知 considered by some, to be a stickler for a clean weapon, and although I知 never out to get every single spec of carbon removed from the weapon, I did consider this bolt and carrier to be pretty clean. Anyway, it met my standards for cleanliness.

I致e peered down into this particular bolt carrier quite often during initial cleaning after the last range session and on follow-up PMCS.

I was actually quite surprised. When I removed the CRT-15 from the bolt carrier, it had picked up and removed a small amount of carbon that until now, had gone unnoticed.

federalist22
6 February 2010, 08:13
Quib,

Have you thought about posting your how-to's as PDF documents? I'll bet a lot of people, including troops, would download your stuff to use as offline maintenance and training aids/manuals. You can get a free PDF-maker from CNET called BullZip--it's converts MS Word (pics and text) to PDF docs. Just an idea. Then again, maybe you should try to make a book and sell it....just another thought. I could be off on this, but you break things down well and your attention to detail is noted in your work.

Quib
6 February 2010, 09:01
Quib,

Have you thought about posting your how-to's as PDF documents? I'll bet a lot of people, including troops, would download your stuff to use as offline maintenance and training aids/manuals. You can get a free PDF-maker from CNET called BullZip--it's converts MS Word (pics and text) to PDF docs. Just an idea. Then again, maybe you should try to make a book and sell it....just another thought. I could be off on this, but you break things down well and your attention to detail is noted in your work.

Thanks for the compliments and the tips on .PDF conversion, I値l keep the tips in mind.

I have been approached in the past on a few occasions, with the idea of compiling my material into a book or possibly a CD. I was also asked by one firearms Mfgr if I would be interested in writing and illustrating an Operators Manual for them.

While I知 flattered with the suggestions and offers, I prefer to keep things for now at the level they are at. Joining the Staff here at Weapon Evolution alone is a big step for me compared to where I was at for the past 8 or 9 years. For the time being I知 enjoying my time spent creating online reviews and tutorials.

Plus, quite a bit of the material for my tutorials is merely based off information gleaned from the various military TMs and FMs covering M16/M4 operations and maintenance. But as you mention, and this has always been my goal, is to take that information and break it down one level further and add better graphics and illustrations in an attempt to make it more enjoyable to read, and suited more towards the average AR15 enthusiast.

Emilio84
6 February 2010, 10:22
Awesome review! I actually came across this product a while back via a video review and was hoping someone would do a more in depth review. Definitely looking forward to a review with a dirty dirty bcg!

Stickman
6 February 2010, 10:45
Plus, quite a bit of the material for my tutorials is merely based off information gleaned from the various military TMs and FMs covering M16/M4 operations and maintenance.

Your spin on things is much more enjoyable to read than the TM/ FMs.

Quib
8 February 2010, 03:45
Your spin on things is much more enjoyable to read than the TM/ FMs.

Thank you Sir. [:)]

Gator
8 February 2010, 16:05
Looks great. It's nice to finally have something specifically designed to clean the inside of the carrier.

Quib
11 April 2010, 12:20
Part Two is up.

OfcPowder
11 April 2010, 22:26
I picked one of these up and had a chance to use it after about 100 rounds on a previously clean carbine. Further, a buddy was also at the range and did not have as clean of a weapon. He was extremely impressed with the tool, especially on the removal from the carrier, something he has never had much luck with. I was impressed with the results, as I usually resort to dental tools or a knife to assist in the carbon removal from the bolt. So far, it's worth the money.

Quib
12 April 2010, 19:25
I can see the CRT-15 coming in handy when used in conjunction with my Odorless Mineral Spirits/CLP cleaning procedure.

First a pre-cleaning of the bolt tail and carrier bore with the CRT-15, then drop both components into the OMS/CLP mixture.