PDA

View Full Version : Arc'Teryx Spotter Pants

WileyCoyote
6 February 2010, 09:46
Does anyone know about these pants? Like how they fit, feel, etc. Are they light, heavy, thick, thin, etc. I like them and want to buy some but want advice before I make my purchase. Thanks

Mat
6 February 2010, 11:20
I'm a thin wiry 5' 9" 150lb guy. I tried on a couple sizes and from what I can tell is that they probably work a lot better on a thicker person than me. On my body type they were tight up top and then the legs flare out into sausage tubes. It was sooo weird looking I couldn't let whatever function sausage legs would serve trump form. I can't attest to their durability since I didn't do anything other than return them. If I recall they were about a light as any canvas pant. I'm sticking to Carhartt, made in Mexico with American pride

edit: and they are [B]expensive

Venom
6 February 2010, 15:44
my experience with ARC is somewhat similar...while most of their stuff is top notch in material and function, the sizing is always off to me. Medium has too short arms or legs , and large is...well an "American" large and wont fit me( normally wear Large in everything)

WileyCoyote
6 February 2010, 22:23
I'm a thin wiry 5' 9" 150lb guy. I tried on a couple sizes and from what I can tell is that they probably work a lot better on a thicker person than me. On my body type they were tight up top and then the legs flare out into sausage tubes. It was sooo weird looking I couldn't let whatever function sausage legs would serve trump form. I can't attest to their durability since I didn't do anything other than return them. If I recall they were about a light as any canvas pant. I'm sticking to Carhartt, made in Mexico with American pride

edit: and they are [B]expensive

Mat thanks for your insight. I am 5'10" and 175 lbs with a big bubble butt so I tend to like pants like this. Do they seem to fit true to waist size? I tend to wear pants a size up so I'm thinking the 34" will be fine. I'm also looking at some Tad Gear pants too. And yes both are expensive. But you get hat you pay for sometimes. Then again sometimes you're paying for the name as well.

Mat
6 February 2010, 23:12
I thought the waist was good but the fit around my pelvis was too tight. With wear it probably loosens up a bit like any other pant. If there's a REI nearby you could try a pair on.

pazzo
7 February 2010, 21:32
The Spotter pants are made out of a heavy duty cotton - not the best material for 'tactical' situations, regardless what Arc'teryx says about them. Cotton is very hydrophilic (absorbs 15% of its weight in water, iirc?) and is very bad for both wet and hot environments (whether they be hot/dry or hot/humid).

You want nylon or polyester materials for the tactical stuff. Nylon has a much higher abrasion resistance than polyester and is usually what the tactical pants are made out of. Polyester will be much more comfortable in the above conditions (being hydrophobic and retaining 0.5% of its weight in water, iirc), and will wick moisture away from your skin. Nylon is strange because it absorbs water but dry's very fast. I love my nylon pants for hiking and rock climbing because they dry super fast in a light breeze. Cotton stays wet all day (think wet jeans) ;)
When was the last time you saw a pro athlete wearing cotton?

On another note, Arc'teryx is located 2 mins from my house, so I'll go check them out tomorrow!! [:D]
If anything, they would be good for kicking around town.