PDA

View Full Version : Barrel advice for next build

HS2
9 February 2010, 12:08
I've been procrastinating on my next build but Stick's preview of the new Mega monolithic upper got me fired up to try it out.

I've completed a CMMG lower with a Timney trigger and an Emod stock.

This will mainly be a bench shooter but I'd like to keep it on a diet. 300 yards is the longest range available at a reasonable driving distance.

I have a 16" middy and a 14.5 KISS so I'm thinking the Mega would be ideal for an 18 or 20" scoped upper.

haven't done a lot of research on barrels so I'd like to get advice / recommendations.

- 18 or 20" Sabre Defense SS fluted (34 - 35.7 oz)
- WOA 18" SS SPR (41 oz)
- BCM 18" SS SPR (?)

Thanks.

ReconRanger
9 February 2010, 12:55
Of those three barrels, I would say the WOA. I have no experience with the Sabre Defense or BCM barrels, but when I was looking for a 18" barrel people told me to steer clear of sabre defense as there are higher quality barrels out there. I ended up having Steve @ ADCO build me a mk 12 mod 1 with a WOA barrel and its a tack driving machine. WOA barrels are very high quality for the price.

Stickman
9 February 2010, 17:43
WOA gives a lot of bang for the buck.

magpul_556
9 February 2010, 18:12
I know its not on you list but i love my 16" Stainless barrel from Noveske. Its the most acurate barrel ive ever shot, but ist gunna run you about $450.

HS2
13 February 2010, 05:05
WOA gives a lot of bang for the buck.

Stick,

What length barrel and gas system is on the rifle in your MTS-300 review? Are there any disadvantages in having the gas block exposed? Seems like that would make assembly easier with this upper.

Lastrites
13 February 2010, 08:28
Another plug for the WOA, owned and shot several others all will shoot an eye out at distance.

Exposed gas block as I see it opens up the chance of damage if you happen to hit it on some unknown object. Chances of that probably pretty low but we all have met Mr. Murphy at one time or another. Now others just don't like seeing the GB, but an advantage to an exposed one is the possibility of being able to service it / remove it without taking the forearm off.