PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon night sights

cemoulton
10 February 2010, 03:19
has anyone tried these? http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=35&back_row=2&categoryID=7

or these? http://www.xssights.com/store/tactical.html

i'm very comfortable with iron sights. i've always hunted (25 years) with a sporterized 30.06 Eddystone upgraded with realy nice peep sights by my grandfather for my dad.

i purchased a DDM4 a few months ago and i like the irons. i can consistantly hit the 400 yrd 18" steal at my local range with them, but in low light they are less than ideal (ie. worthless). i've concidered an Eotech, Aimpoint and Trijicon reflex but i don't like the idea of adding weight, bulk and something else to break to my rifle (not to mention expense).

so that leads me to these Trijicon night sights. they can be bought with green up front and green rear, orange rear or yellow rear. the green are warranted for 12 years, the orange for 5. or the XS, i think i like the one peace design of the front XS sight more than the two peace Trijicon front sight.

any thoughts or sugestions? other iron sights that you guys have tried and liked.

thank you for your time.

Stickman
10 February 2010, 09:53
In low light the the red dot optics, like the Aimpoint and Eotech, work much better than tritium sights. Tritium works better on pistols where the sights are out farther away from your face, but the optics still are a faster way of getting rounds on target across the board.

tac40
10 February 2010, 11:31
I like the RDS whether Aimpoint, EO-Tech, Docter Sights with Trijicon scopes and or Leupold. They do work well in low light situations. It is faster to pick up the RDS, you can control the light intensity of the RDS, a Trijicon or XS can't.

One of our guys did install a XS sight on his personal rifle, but it had limited use and he purchased an Aimpoint ML-3 later on.
Good luck.

Eric
10 February 2010, 13:21
I used a front Trijicon post quite a few years ago, before RDS were approved for duty use. It works, but the post is a bit thicker than a standard A2 type, so precision shots at distance are a bit more challenging. I don't think the rear night sights make sense. They are far too close to your eye and are more of an annoyance than anything.