PDA

View Full Version : Century Arma C15

harleygaz
11 February 2010, 15:29
Hi. This is my first post on this site please go easy if I make any mistakes! I have a Century Arms C15 Sporter that was an impulse but at a gun show. So far much of what I have read about Century hasn't been good but I don't seem to be able to get any real facts. I understand that Century use their own lower - that's clearly marked - but that use military surplus uppers possibly from South America and apparently these are Colt uppers. The BCG in mine has been machined (quite crudely as it happens) from what appears to be an M16 carrier but there are no markings on any of the upper parts. I also read that they use DPMS barrels but again no markings at all. Mine seems to shoot OK, about 100 rounds so far which is nothing I know, with no misfires, no FTF etc. I'd appreciate your comments. I know this is a bottom or maybe mid tier 15 but can it really be that bad if it's built on a Colt upper and BCG and a DPMS barrel?

Creeky73
11 February 2010, 15:48
I don't know too much about their AR 15 products, but people have definitely bagged on their AK products in the past. Some say the QC is getting better these days, but I can't say for sure. Most say that the firearms that CA imports as complete guns aren't too much of an issue because they are built elsewhere, but many of their models are built in-house from parts kits, and supposedly this is where they go wrong.

Eric
11 February 2010, 15:48
I know this is a bottom or maybe mid tier 15 but can it really be that bad if it's built on a Colt upper and BCG and a DPMS barrel?
First of all, welcome!

I don't have any direct experience with what you have, so I'll speak in general terms. Parts guns are a crap shoot at best. Just because it is a Colt upper (if it really is) does not mean much if the remainder of the parts are substandard. Also, you have to question how worn the surplus parts are, how they match up with the new parts, if they are correctly installed and what kind of "factory" support you will receive.

harleygaz
11 February 2010, 16:20
Thanks for the replies and I do agree that a parts gun is a crap shoot. The AR 15 is new to me and I've learned a lot from forums such as this, unfortunately all after I bought mine! But I guess this brings me back to my original point, does anybody actually know any real facts about these rifles? Are they SA surplus uppers? Were they sold to SA countries but never used? Who makes / made the barrels & uppers? Century are still selling a version of these but they don't give a lot of detail.