PDA

View Full Version : One Piece Gas Rings

Specialized Armament
20 February 2010, 07:44
Recently, SA was sent a couple of bolt groups in which the Colt gas rings had been replaced with a one piece design. Traditional gas rings allow each ring to expand and contract independently of the others as the bolt travels in the carrier. The one piece design does not. An extremely tight seal between the bolt and carrier is not necessary.

Every part in a Colt bolt group was designed and has evolved with consideration of how the individual part affects the whole. The one piece gas ring is the proverbial solution looking for a problem.

Keeping your Colt rifle stock keeps it reliable. Before you change any parts on the inside or the FSB, don't forget to consider the law of unintended consequences.

Quib
20 February 2010, 07:54
Since those “one-piece” rings hit the market I’ve never seen the advantage in them.

The three-ring design is built around redundancy. In the absence of spare parts, if one ring fails, you still have two. Two rings fail, you still have one.

I’m all for advancements in design, but some things are better left as is. As we say in aviation maintenance....”If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it.”

5pins
20 February 2010, 10:12
I think the one piece rings were develop because of the myth that if the gaps in the three piece design lined up it would create problems.

Quib
20 February 2010, 10:27
I think the one piece rings were develop because of the myth that if the gaps in the three piece design lined up it would create problems.

Could very well be.

How many AR related aftermarket products are out there that address problems that really are a non-issue?

- Titanium FP’s?
- Accu-wedges?
- Plastic caps attached to buffer springs to dampen spring noise?

ETA:

- Receiver Rugs?

Optimus Prime
20 February 2010, 11:22
I have in fact seen all three ring gaps line up and prevent the rifle from cycling. When my unit was gearing up for Afghanistan one company got all new M16A4s and they gas rings were slightly out of spec (the "holes" may have been too large, I didn't see them firsthand), allowing them to line up far more often than normal. Half of the company's rifles stopped working during weapons qual and were sent back to the AMSA shop to be corrected.

Specialized Armament
20 February 2010, 12:29
Half of a company at the same time? Wow...

Eric
20 February 2010, 16:11
Do you know how that was traced back to bad gas rings?

Quib
20 February 2010, 16:21
Half of a company at the same time? Wow...

Sort of alarming isn’t it?

That bad of a level of QC, allowing out-of-spec parts to get into the hands of our soldiers.

markm
21 February 2010, 09:08
How many AR related aftermarket products are out there that address problems that really are a non-issue?

Hello KNS pins!

Roklok
28 February 2010, 12:41
This is an answer to a non-existent problem. I prefer the redundancy of the 3 gas rings.

Optimus Prime
28 February 2010, 17:06
Do you know how that was traced back to bad gas rings?

That's what the AMSA shop said it was. Like I said, I wasn't there, and I was issued an old Colt manufactured A2 (restamped A1 lower) that shot clover leafs all day without a problem. Needless to say, my opinion of FN built guns is a bit skewed.