PDA

View Full Version : Did I buy the wrong headspace gauges?

Emilio84
21 February 2010, 11:35
So I bought a pair of Clymer 5.56 NATO headspace gauges. My go gauges is labeled 1.4636" and my no-go is 1.4696". The specs I've seen list:

New Rifle Headspace: 1.4646" to 1.4706"
SAMMI headspace gauges to use: 1.465" and 1.470"

Unsafe Rifle Headspace: 1.4736"
Use the Colt M16/AR15 Field Gauge: 1.4736" or,
The US military gauge: 1.4730”

My bolt will close on my go gauge and a live round

My bolt will not close on the No-Go gauge (by a significant margin)

Questions...

Did I get the right gauges?

Should I get any different gauges?

Is my rifle safe to shoot?

Specialized Armament
21 February 2010, 19:24
What prompted you to purchase chamber gauges?

Given a properly maufactured rifle, preferably a Colt, you will shoot the rifling out of your barrel before head space is ever an issue.

We are going to discuss the topic of chamber gauges ad naseum and get Quib to stickify it.

Quib
21 February 2010, 20:00
We are going to discuss the topic of chamber gauges ad naseum and get Quib to stickify it.

Excellent!

Standing by to stickify! LOL!!!!! [:)]

Emilio84
21 February 2010, 21:18
What prompted you to purchase chamber gauges?

Given a properly maufactured rifle, preferably a Colt, you will shoot the rifling out of your barrel before head space is ever an issue.

The reason I am checking headspace is because this is a new build. The barrel is a DD CHF 16" Midlength chambered in 5.56 NATO. The BCG is a Bravo Company unit, and the upper is a Mega Machine forged flat top.

Innovative
22 February 2010, 12:17
I make a new digital headspace gauge that works on ANY rifle. It compares the ammo you use (or your handloads) to one of your fired rounds. It then displays the chamber clearance (at the shoulder) that your ammo has in your particular chamber. Check it out ....

- Innovative

Specialized Armament
23 February 2010, 05:31
I make a new digital headspace gauge that works on ANY rifle. It compares the ammo you use (or your handloads) to one of your fired rounds. It then displays the chamber clearance (at the shoulder) that your ammo has in your particular chamber. Check it out ....

- Innovative

How does your post advance the thread topic?

It doesn't...

Innovative
23 February 2010, 07:07
If someone is in doubt about which headspace gauge to use, you can use one of your own fired cases (like a casting of your chamber) and a comparitor. This can be used to compare your chamber to a factory round, or compare to your handloads. This gauge is a new method that works on ALL calibers without wondering if you've got the right tool.

- Innovative

5pins
23 February 2010, 08:38
If someone is in doubt about which headspace gauge to use, you can use one of your own fired cases (like a casting of your chamber) and a comparitor. This can be used to compare your chamber to a factory round, or compare to your handloads. This gauge is a new method that works on ALL calibers without wondering if you've got the right tool.

- Innovative

#1 I don’t see how that is going to be a very accurate measurement of head space.

#2 It sounds like more work then the standard method of using a head space gage.

Emilio84
23 February 2010, 20:49
While that gauge may be great.... its more of a post shooting analysis tool. I am asking about checking headspace on a rifle built from new parts off the shelf.

Emilio84
24 February 2010, 18:43
Ok... i think I wasn't really thinking...

SAMMI headspace gauges to use: 1.465" and 1.470"

My gauges (rounded up) 1.464" and 1.470"

Will the .001 make a difference on the go gauge?

Should I just assume she is gtg and not worry about getting a different set of gauges? I want to hit the range this weekend so I was hoping someone could chime in with a definitive answer. :confused: