PDA

View Full Version : Mounting an Aimpoint

fmkenner
24 February 2010, 23:11
Hi everyone, just purchased an Aimpoint M3 with the Larue cantlever mount. Was wondering how other people mounted theirs as to get the top at top. Its alittle different without crosshairs to get it strait. Thanks in advance.
Fred

Eric
25 February 2010, 00:16
Using the calibrated Mk-II eyeball. ;)
The elevation adjustment at 12 o'clock and the windage adjustment at 3 o'clock.

Quib
25 February 2010, 03:39
I’m about ready to do a review on my newly arrived ADM Aimpoint mount. One point I was considering going over was centering the Aimpoint within the mount. I will add this procedure to my online review. Until then...

When there are no reference marks to go from by just “eyeballing” the mount and optic, I have in the past resorted to using two small bubble levels to align the optic with the mount.

The procedure:

- The weapon is placed in a maintenance cradle.
- One bubble level is placed in a slot on the upper receiver and the weapon leveled.
- The second level is placed on top of the elevation turret of the optic after the protective cap is removed.
- The optic is then turned until the bubble level is centered.
- The aft bubble level is then compared to the optic bubble level to ensure that the weapon did not shift during rotation of the optic.
- The optic mount screws are then lightly snugged in a cross-torque pattern to hold the optic in place.
- The weapon is removed from the cradle for final mount screw tightening or torquing.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4386538801_9a2304bcb3_o.jpg

fmkenner
25 February 2010, 12:02
Thanks for the imput, just want to do it right the first time. This would be my first optic for my first AR.

Quib
25 February 2010, 20:00
Aimpoint Mounting Tips are up.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18199&posted=1#post18199

fmkenner
26 February 2010, 21:32
Thanks, thats really helpful. One last question, LaRue Tactical recommends locktite on the bottom screws but should I put locktite on the top screws also?

Quib
27 February 2010, 04:33
Thanks, thats really helpful. One last question, LaRue Tactical recommends locktite on the bottom screws but should I put locktite on the top screws also?

I apply Loctite to all optic mounting screws.

Unless the top screws have some other means of preventing loosening, I have no idea why LaRue would only recommend Loctite on the bottom screws. Have you contacted them for advice?

fmkenner
27 February 2010, 04:50
At the LaRue web site it says how to mount the Aimpoint, not quite like your demostration which is exacly how I'm doing it, but it specificly says to locktite bottom screws and next step to tighten top screws. Maybe I misinterpeted what I read. Here is the link.
http://216.23.214.70/instructions/aimpoint_instruct.htm

Quib
27 February 2010, 05:00
At the LaRue web site it says how to mount the Aimpoint, not quite like your demostration which is exacly how I'm doing it, but it specificly says to locktite bottom screws and next step to tighten top screws. Maybe I misinterpeted what I read. Here is the link.
http://216.23.214.70/instructions/aimpoint_instruct.htm

Like I said, I personally apply Loctite to all optic mount screws. I see no reason why not to. Again, unless the upper screws have some other means of preventing rotation, which I highly doubt.

Having never dealt with LaRue mounts, I can‘t comment as to why in their instructions they do not call out applying Loctite to all screws.

Those instructions are not that detailed to begin with. I recommend contacting LaRue to get an answer.

federalist22
27 February 2010, 06:23
LaRue ships their mounts with a small tube of blue Loctite and instructions in the package--at least in the two mounts I recently purchased.

fmkenner
27 February 2010, 06:24
Yea I know, no detail. Thats why I posted. Its a great optic and mount, want to do it right, thanks so much for your help

fmkenner
27 February 2010, 06:28
LaRue ships their mounts with a small tube of blue Loctite and instructions in the package--at least in the two mounts I recently purchased.

They do, but they said to apply locktite to the bottom screws, didn't mention the top screws, unless they were implying those too.

tac40
27 February 2010, 08:11
Thanks Quib, those bubble level look familiar ; )

My buddy uses his Apple ap to level his scope, what a kill joy.

Quib
27 February 2010, 08:45
Thanks Quib, those bubble level look familiar ; )

You may have seen them a few years back, posted in my pics on another web site . ;)

My buddy uses his Apple ap to level his scope, what a kill joy.

You’ll have to explain that one to me!