PDA

View Full Version : AMERICAN DEFENSE MANUFACTURING: AD-68H High Profile Aimpoint Mount

Quib
25 February 2010, 17:06
ADM Mount review is up.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18196#post18196

Eric
25 February 2010, 20:56
I'll be interested to see how the most current version of the mount work out. My early generation mount is still in use and solid as could be. Not so much with later versions.

federalist22
26 February 2010, 02:14
I have an ADM cantilever mount I bought last summer. The ring screws came loose and when I went to tighten them I noticed that at least two of them were not grabbing the threads--stripped.

I have since switched to LaRue for my Aimpoint mount needs.

Eric
26 February 2010, 02:44
I have an ADM cantilever mount I bought last summer. The ring screws came loose and when I went to tighten them I noticed that at least two of them were not grabbing the threads--stripped.

I have since switched to LaRue for my Aimpoint mount needs.
Did you contact ADM?

Quib
26 February 2010, 03:17
I'll be interested to see how the most current version of the mount work out. My early generation mount is still in use and solid as could be. Not so much with later versions.

Yes Sir, I guess only time will tell.

I followed ADM’s recommended torque value when tightening the screws, and during the whole installation process I never ran into a point where I felt there were indicators which might lead to future loosening.

The whole installation process I used, can be found here:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2060

federalist22
26 February 2010, 15:01
Did you contact ADM?

Eric,

No I didn't. I think I read your posts (correct me if I am wrong) describing a similar issue with the rings coming loose due to bad screws. I am disappointed, but I am the type to learn my lessons and move on. I hate calling people to complain because I feel like I have to do it all of the time--I own 4 other ADM mounts and one of their TD-ADM grips and I am praying those hold up--that said, the problem is their optic ring screws, not their rail clamps. I understand ADM would want my feedback, but sometimes I just run short on time to deal with things during work hours. I suppose I could e-mail them though. I'll consider shooting them an e-mail about it.

Thanks.

Blankwaffe
26 February 2010, 20:49
ADM is very responsive to customers,and with a lifetime warranty I'd give them the courtesy of calling and letting them assist.But then again,I call and deal with manufacturers on complaints daily in the motorcycle industry.So its second nature for me.

If I remember correctly,I thought the early models design flaw was that the user could accidentally overtorque the screws and cause failures.Also remember something about the screws being different and becoming an issue if they were mixed up during the installation.All of which is what led to the Gen II design change if I remember correctly.Wish I had paid more attention to the details back then.
I was also told by Troy at ADM sometime back to finger tighten all screws,torque the bottom screws first and then torque the top screws.

As for durability,my oldest ADM mount is a early Gen II Recon I purchased in 2008.I have not seen any issues with the rings,screws or mount itself,and its been treated rather poorly in the two years Ive had it.

ETA
Yall got my OCD going at a full run,so forgive me.
But I think Eric hit on something with his posts,particularly about the ring rocking on the base.I pulled my LMT Defender and checked the AD-68C for clearance at the bottom of the ring at the mount base.Starting with a .010" feeler gauge I worked down to the smallest feeler gauge I have on hand,which is a .001" and it will not enter the juction except very slightly in the middle of the ring.With interest peaked,I pulled the brand spankin AD-68H that I just received and checked it.It will not accept the .001"gauge anywhere when tightened down.Even finger tight the ring does not move at all.
Being even more curious I checked the two AD Recon mounts I have,a 2008 model and one from late 2009.The 2008 model will not accept the .001" gauge on either ring/mount junction and is exceptionally tight fit of the entire mating surfaces.
The newer Recon is tight at the base of the front ring,but the rear ring will accept a .012" feeler gauge.As a note that ring will rock slightly with bottom screws torqued to spec and scope removed.Now I know the Recon mounts are a different animal than the single ring Aimpoint mounts but there is ring clearance on the newer mount.
So Maybe ADM has had some specs get loose in the manufacture of some mounts and or the rings.

spamsammich
27 February 2010, 20:34
I have had issues with the ring pivoting about the center dowel on the lower portion of of the ring with my cantilever mount. Despite using the upper limit of the torque settings and blue loctite, my ring would not hold after a few mags. ADM graciously agreed to replace my mount with remarkable speed. The new mount I received exhibited markedly less play between the neck/base and the ring, however, the mount eventually began to lose zero. I "shimmed" the ring in place with wicking loctite, and it has been good to go since. I suppose I should contact them, but I honestly forgot about the issues after the loctite.

I have been very pleased with the clamping mechanism and use it to align the top rails when I install Lite rails or Troy Extreme rails.

HeavyDuty
19 February 2011, 15:22
A question for those that own both ADM and LaRue mounts:

Is the cowitness on the AD-68H comparable to a LaRue LT-150? I like my LaRue but I wish it showed me a little FSB - not absolute, but more than the lower 1/5th I'm getting now.

If the AD-68H is substantially the same as the LT-150, I'll probably give the lower AD-68 a try. The specs suggest the AD-68H and the LT-150 heights are the same, but I'd prefer confirmation before I spend money.