PDA

View Full Version : Ejector pin ???

AnimalMother556
28 February 2010, 19:57
Several months back I was shooting when something jammed up my trigger. Pulled a small section of a roll pin out from underneath it. Never could figure out where it came from, looked to be about the size of a gas tube roll pin, maybe a little shorter. Anyhow, it appears that the ejector roll pin is flush with the bolt on one side and recessed about a 1/16" on the other. I don't have another bolt to compare it with so I'm not sure as to the length an ejector roll pin should be. Is it even possible that this could have broken off and fallen into the FCG? Is the pin long enough to be flush with both sides of the bolt? It sound rather unlikely and the ejector is still being held in place. Any ideas? How difficult is it to swap the pin if necessary? Thanks.

federalist22
1 March 2010, 02:29
Are you sure the piece of metal you found in your FCG was not a blown primer? Just an idea. Are both sides of your roll pin shaped the same (no bends, crimps, tears, flares)?

AnimalMother556
1 March 2010, 05:43
It was definitely a roll pin. I can only see one side of the pin as the other side is recessed into the bolt about 1/16".

Eric
1 March 2010, 08:10
Not so common to have your ejector pin break off like that, but just about anything has the potential to break at some point. If the ejector pin is flush on one side, it will most likely be recessed a bit on the opposite side. 1/16" sounds a bit excessive, but it's hard to tell without looking at it. To be on the safe side, you might as well swap out the pin. It's almost a three handed operation. You need to keep the ejector pin depressed, while driving out the roll pin with a 1/16" punch. While you have it disassembled, clean out the ejector channel. Consider replacing the ejector spring while you're at it. Reassemble in the reverse order, ensuring that the ejector is put in the same way it came out and that the relief cut for the roll pin is facing inward. If that sounds like a hassle, you're going to dig one of the ejector disassembly tools like this one from Brownells (this one from Brownells.) or this one from Specialized Armament (http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/EJECTOR_TOOL-29-0.html). No, you can't have mine, but I'de be happy to fix you up if you want to send it. [BD]