PDA

View Full Version : Removing Front Side Mount Sling Swivel

Captains1911
1 March 2010, 07:00
This is the mount that clamps to the barrel under the FSB. I attempted to remove it from my Colt 6920 yesterday by tapping one of the 2 roll pins out with a hammer and roll pin punch. I have never attempted to remove one of these but I did install a RRA one on my BCM and it was simple. However, I could not get either of these 2 roll pins on my Colt to even budge, I must have hit each with the hammer and punch at least 50 times with zero movement, even after oiling them, so I gave up.

After my failed attempt, I started thinking, if I was hitting these pins with this much force and they weren't moving, was I possibly over-stressing something else that I shouldn't have been? I don't have a vice, so what I did was separate the upper from the lower, remove the BCG and CH from the upper, and then I sat the upper muzzle up on a piece of wood on the edge of a table with the FA hanging off the edge so that the back of the upper receiver was bearing directly on the piece of wood. I then attempted to punch out one of the pins with the upper in this position by hitting downwards.

The sling mount moves freely under the FSB, so any force acting on the mount from the hammer and punch would translate directly to it, and then down the rest of the upper. Am I being paranoid by thinking I shouldn't have done this? I figured if anything was going to give it would have been either the pins I was hitting or the piece of wood that the upper was bearing on, I just need some assurance that I didn't potentially screw anything up. Thanks for reading my lengthy post.

Also, how the hell do you remove this mount?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/Captains1911/temp/DSC00955.jpg

wareagle700
3 March 2010, 07:40
Try removing it with vice grips.
Put one jaw on the rear of the roll pin and one jaw on the edge of the piece that has the roll pin hole. Gradually tighten the vise grips using the screw on the handle until it starts to squeeze the roll pin through.
I take some pics but I am about to head out. Good luck

Sparks134
3 March 2010, 15:12
Just 2 weeks ago I removed the sling swivel just by using a hammer and roll pin punch. I did it to put it on the other side as I'm a lefty. Getting it off was pretty much straight foreward, now re-installing on the other side, well let's just say it took me about 20 min. of messing to get it back on. Have any of you guys ever wished you had a 3rd hand!...Ed

Specialized Armament
6 March 2010, 05:54
Try removing it with vice grips.
Put one jaw on the rear of the roll pin and one jaw on the edge of the piece that has the roll pin hole. Gradually tighten the vise grips using the screw on the handle until it starts to squeeze the roll pin through.
I take some pics but I am about to head out. Good luck

Bad idea. Colt rifles are known to have an extreme allergy to vise grips.... [:D]

No advice is better than bad advice. We have removed hundreds and hundreds of side mount sling swivels. It is never easy. The only sure way to get them removed/installed without damaging your rifle is with the right tools. There are tools that solve problems and tools that create problems. Vise Grips fall into the later category.

If you have the proper tools, it may be quicker and easier to remove your muzzle device and slide the sling mount off while removing your front sight base.

-Mark

wareagle700
6 March 2010, 13:57
Bad idea. Colt rifles are known to have an extreme allergy to vise grips.... [:D]

No advice is better than bad advice. We have removed hundreds and hundreds of side mount sling swivels. It is never easy. The only sure way to get them removed/installed without damaging your rifle is with the right tools. There are tools that solve problems and tools that create problems. Vise Grips fall into the later category.

If you have the proper tools, it may be quicker and easier to remove your muzzle device and slide the sling mount off while removing your front sight base.

-Mark

Well, maybe not all people should do it that way but when done right it works fine and you dont loose your zero.[:D]
If there is another method you know of without removing the FSP? I would like to know. I am always up for an education.
Thanks, Charlie

Optimus Prime
6 March 2010, 15:57
Took one off a few weeks ago from my buddy's S&W, just knocked both pins out with a punch and it came right off.

twheel
7 September 2010, 21:09
If the newby could chime in.. I did this EXACT move just days ago.And I found that those pins are indeed "snug". I don't remember if they were 1/8th or 5/16th's,, I'll call them 1/8th.
It takes TWO punches to do correctly imho. Remove either, i chose lower, roll-pin with a 1/8th roll-pin punch. Using a roll-pin punch is important to direct the energy correctly without deforming or mushrooming the pin. When ready to re-install,, fish a standard 1/8 punch UP from the bottom,spring tension will keep it in place. Leave about a 1/16th below flush with the upper face,, now insert your pin and drive with the roll-pin punch. The standard punch will gravity fall when it's no longer needed.