PDA

View Full Version : Build Question - Mega Arms choices

miczero
7 March 2010, 03:50
New guy here planning out my first AR build and I've run into a small dilemma.

I'm pretty much set on a Mega Arms billet build, but am having trouble deciding between the following;

- Mega matched billet upper and lower + DD 9" Lite rail - @ $710-$730
- Mega billet lower + Mega Monolithic upper - @ $775

I'm not too concerned with the price difference, but it is there. I worked out the prices mostly from Rainer Arms and Riflegear.net. Riflegear lists a preorder price of $584 for the midlength Monolithic.

The rifle will be used for the range, defense, shtf and training. I'll be buying a stripped barrel and an AA gas-piston kit as well.

Basically, what would you buy (and why) if someone gave you $800 and the choice between the above two options?

SDDuc996
7 March 2010, 05:46
Personally I'd skip the AA Gas piston. I don't believe it's needed and you're just adding extra weight to your front end.

-How hard is it to mount the barrel and tighten the barrel nut with the
monolithic upper?
-Is the barrel nut wrench included?

I'd go with a mid to rifle length monolith and low pro gas block.

I have a (forged) Mega lower and quite pleased with it. You've listed some quality parts so either way you go you should be good.

Good luck and post pics.

miczero
7 March 2010, 08:12
Personally I'd skip the AA Gas piston. I don't believe it's needed and you're just adding extra weight to your front end.
I spent 8 yrs cleaning carbon out of M16's, so the piston kit is set in stone. Besides, the extra weight is pretty negligible I think.

-How hard is it to mount the barrel and tighten the barrel nut with the
monolithic upper?
-Is the barrel nut wrench included?
The barrel nut and wrench are included and it looks really easy to me. There's a youtube link somewhere...here it is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqXbUF93dVs).

federalist22
7 March 2010, 13:13
damn..............that is bad ass.

Stickman
7 March 2010, 16:49
Tough choice, but I would probably go with the full Mega setup. I did a write up of the Mega monolithic upper, check out the below link if you haven't see it.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2010/01/24/pre-shot-sneak-preview-of-monolithic-tactical-system-mts-300/

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/mts-300-upper-receiver/img_4538-800-mt.jpg

miczero
7 March 2010, 19:36
Tough choice, but I would probably go with the full Mega setup. I did a write up of the Mega monolithic upper, check out the below link if you haven't see it.

Your review here was what made me aware of the mono upper. The only thing that would steer me away from it is replacement cost. If the rail gets bashed in somehow on the monolithic, then my replacement cost is twice what it would be for the DD rail alone. I don't expect to be bashing it around, but you never know. When I was in the Army we beat the heck out of our M16's and I never had anything break. This rifle would get a lot more TLC given that it will be mine. Lots of things to consider, I guess.

Stickman
7 March 2010, 19:41
I'm unaware of any modern monolithic rail which has ever had to be replaced due to damage. That doesn't mean it can't happen, it just means I've never heard of it.

Wallace
7 March 2010, 22:15
I’m also in the middle of a Mega billet build, and having the same dilemma. Is there any more info on the release date for the mono-upper.

Also I relieve this is a bit off topic but before I start a post on the subject is there any posts relevant to this upper. I know there are a few different types out there but this guy would be going on a heavy barrel varmint rifle.

http://www.americanspiritarms.com/products/ASA_AR_15_M4_Side_Charger_Upper_Receiver-38-12.html

Or perhaps a thread on side charging uppers. I would have also gone with Mega’s side charger but cant seam to find it online anywhere.

Thanks guys……..

miczero
8 March 2010, 23:36
I'm unaware of any modern monolithic rail which has ever had to be replaced due to damage. That doesn't mean it can't happen, it just means I've never heard of it.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect it to be easy to accomplish. I'm leaning towards the Mega mono nonetheless. Retailers don't seem to know when it'll be available, so I emailed Mega sales. I'll post any info I get back.

On another note, BCM just got stock of their BFH barrels again today and I was able to order that. So, the train is at least moving now as that was what I was waiting on. Now that I seem committed to the mono upper, I'm waiting again.

miczero
9 March 2010, 15:14
I just got a reply from Mega Arms concerning availability of the monolitic uppers. They should be in-stock at retailers within the next two weeks. Their first shipment is going out this Friday.

Wallace
9 March 2010, 21:14
Outstanding,........ I'm sure Rainier will have them. I'll be waiting ever so patiently. Thanks for the update.

anthonytburg07
11 March 2010, 16:45
dont skip on the AA kit. It is well worth the money and is a great investment.

chromerhino
13 March 2010, 14:12
I was told by the Mega Guys that the Monolithic Upper would NOT work with a piston system. Be sure to verify that before you buy the parts.

New information has surfaced to negate this post. Watch the MegaArms website.

tac40
13 March 2010, 22:24
The weight of the Mega mono rail is 22 ounces. I use Mega and they're very solid piece, I am saving up $$$ for a Mega mono upper.

miczero
15 March 2010, 13:32
I was told by the Mega Guys that the Monolithic Upper would NOT work with a piston system. Be sure to verify that before you buy the parts.

Yeah, thanks. I just found this out myself a few days ago. Going with Mega and DD Lite rail. Many parts to be ordered this week.

Wallace
17 March 2010, 22:48
There up at Rainer!

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1861

Funny part is I was hoping for a rifle length and not the mid. Called Rainer yesterday and they said first round out is mid and carbine, and the rifle should be out around the end of April beginning of May.

I'll be going with the ASA side charger for now and a simple floated tube to cover the gas block. It's a build I've been wanting for a wail and just in time for ground squires.

Just out of curiosity does any one have the barrel length on that pic above, might have to work in a carbine build to satisfy my Mega sweat tooth. It looks like an 18"?

miczero
18 March 2010, 00:28
Mega Billet Combo already on the way to my FFL and a DD Lite is on it's way to me. I'll be busy this weekend, but I should be able to do the build next week.

Just out of curiosity does any one have the barrel length on that pic above, might have to work in a carbine build to satisfy my Mega sweat tooth. It looks like an 18"?

Not positive, but I think you're right.

Cvolin85
13 February 2011, 14:51
Please let me know how the DD fits to the Mega Upper! I'm planning on doing a build like this and I see that the MEGA upper isn't very friendly with many FF rails.