PDA

View Full Version : Painting Eotech

anthonytburg07
9 March 2010, 13:52
I want to paint my eotech but before I do this I want to make the best choice before I do this. I am going to paint it FDE. I think I only want to paint the hood. Should I just take the hood off then paint it or should I leave the hood on. I thought that I read in the warranty that if you do take the hood off it voids the warranty.

AnimalMother556
9 March 2010, 15:19
I'm pretty sure that painting it would void the warranty. I wouldn't worry about it. If you want the cleanest possible job, remove the hood. Wash with soap and water and dry it. Scuff lightly with a medium grade scuff pad (3M Grey Scotch Brite or similar) and wash again. Degrease with acetone or brake cleaner, hang and spray.

SDDuc996
9 March 2010, 22:33
We paint our guns all the time, but normally use krylon. Not that you have to worry about it, but we have to put a small piece of tape over the serial number for inventories.

We normally tape over the buttons, adjustment screws and lenses before hitting it with the krylon.

Keep in mind, this isn't a "professional" job and it will obviously wear off, we just do it to keep them from standing out.

TripleBravo
10 March 2010, 03:44
Disassembly is the only way to go for a clean looking job. Use blue painters tape to mask anything you don't want painted.

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/eotech01.jpg

anthonytburg07
10 March 2010, 08:14
So taking the hood off does void the warranty...hmm. I will have to think a little more on this then.

Uglyduck
10 March 2010, 08:54
I read a good post by someone smarter than I that said something like "I'd rather by a good quality product that didn't need a warranty rather than a poor one with a lifetime warranty". L-3 offers a 2 year warranty, how important is it to you? I'd take the hood off and call it a day. YMMV, just some food for thought.

Fallschirmjäger
10 March 2010, 11:19
Somewhere, lost in the sands of time, is my recollection that L3 said something along the lines of "Yes, removing the hood does technically void the warranty, but painting the Eotech has become so popular (along with the new Eotech hoods you can install) that we don't put up a fuss unless someone has done something stupid."

anthonytburg07
13 March 2010, 13:42
How hard is it to remove the hood?

Army Chief
2 April 2010, 19:00
Disassembly is the only way to go for a clean looking job. Use blue painters tape to mask anything you don't want painted.

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/eotech01.jpg

Trip-B,

Care to share a few quick comments regarding the method and product used to FDE this weapon? It looks infinitely better than the usual DIY spray job.

AC

TripleBravo
3 April 2010, 10:33
This entire weapon system was a Duracoat job. For the Eotech specifically, the job went like this:

The rubber cover for the control panel was removed and set aside. The hood and battery compartment were removed. The glass and exposed circuitry were masked off with blue painters tape. All components were then degreased with TruStrip (from the makers of Duracoat); then the hood, its screws, the rail mounting hardware, and the battery compartment were blasted with Aluminum Oxide. The rest of the Eotech was roughed up with a Scotchbrite pad (I didn't want to risk hitting the glass with the sand blaster).

Once the prep was done, all the items were coated with Duracoat in “Magpul FDE” using an HVLP sprayer with a .5 mm tip.

The masking tape was removed, and the Eotech was re-assembled. VOILA’….you’ve got a FDE Eotech.

TripleBravo
3 April 2010, 10:35
Here's the whole job:

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/left01-1.jpg

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/top01.jpg

(Edit:...yes...I know the flash hider is upside down...end user's request.)

m24shooter
3 April 2010, 10:57
So taking the hood off does void the warranty...hmm. I will have to think a little more on this then.

Yes, but only in regards to issues that would result from taking the hood off. Use of QD adapters and the lens cover set require the removal of the hood. L3 has said that taking the hood off does not impact the warranty in regard to the electronces/lenses, etc.