PDA

View Full Version : What Next? (yes, another build!)

Emilio84
14 March 2010, 20:12
So, I had a spare LPK sitting in my gun cabinet from a friend of mine and I just happened to find myself with a Spikes Tactical lower in my hand as I walked out of the gun show a week ago... This leaves me with a conundrum. What do I build next?

I am thinking a dedicated target rifle in 5.56 or maybe a dedicated .22 rifle.

Ideas? Suggestions?

AR-10
14 March 2010, 20:36
I am planning out a lightweight build as I type this.

You should build something that you will actually shoot, and something that you can afford the ammo for.

If you don't already own a .22LR, it's a great choice for training without burning up your ammo stash and bank account.

Emilio84
14 March 2010, 21:35
I am planning out a lightweight build as I type this.

You should build something that you will actually shoot, and something that you can afford the ammo for.

If you don't already own a .22LR, it's a great choice for training without burning up your ammo stash and bank account.

Yeah, a .22lr would be great for plinking and having fun but I know I can always get myself a dedicated upper down the line.

As for a lightweight KISS build... i am very very interested in doing that.

Ideas for that would be:

OD Cavarms furniture kit (a1 length buttstock)
Magpul MIAD
Magpul rear BUIS
Pencil Barrel (14.5" with pinned FSC556)
BCM BCG
Flat Top Upper w/ M4 Feedramps
Magpul BAD

Plus the Spikes Lower with RRA LPK I already have (might send FCG for trigger work)

Just a nice and simple (and not too expensive) rifle that is gtg for any situation

anthonytburg07
15 March 2010, 08:51
If you had a dedicated 22 upper and a regular 556 upper that would be a great all around weapon. One question, why pin the comp?

AR-10
15 March 2010, 09:14
If he pins a long enough muzzle device to his 14.5" barrel, he will not be in possession of an SBR. The FSC556 is definitely long enough.

Also, I believe some states require it to be pinned, even if it isn't a short-barrel.

rob_s
15 March 2010, 09:42
Lightweight is the new "flat dark earth" (which was the new black). :D

Seriously, of manufacturers starting to pay attention to the weight of things more and more, and with more and more shooters attending training and having to, you know, carry their guns, lightweight carbines are increasing in popularity.

But christ, if I build a new gun every time I had a lower or an LPK just sitting around...

http://m4chart.com/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_125521/ALL-P.jpg

AR-10
15 March 2010, 10:21
I've wanted a lightweight carbine for a while, just never got around to building one.

I will never own an M203 so a barrel with an M4 profile isn't really necessary unless I'm building a clone.

Pencil barrels make more sense, for my needs anyway.

ReconRanger
15 March 2010, 11:15
How about a Mk12 Mod1?

Emilio84
15 March 2010, 16:45
Ok I think I have decided what I want to do...

I want it to be a KISS SHTF carbine.

Something like and maneuverable. Not sure if I want to go with an entry stock but an A1 length might be short enough.

Emilio84
15 March 2010, 22:50
Ok so here is a preliminary build list:

Cavalry Arms Rifle Stock (a1 length)
Brownells a1 stock completion kit
Ergo Right hand Suregrip
Magpul BAD
Magpul Trigger Guard
Spikes M4LE Complete Upper
FSC556 or other Comp (miculek or spikes?)
Magpul MBUIS or A2 Carry handle

Spikes Lower + RRA LPK

Once I get the upper and comp I'll send those out to have the barrel chopped down and the comp pinned for 16" overall length. I don't think a reprofile of the barrel is necessary/worthwhile as I don't think it will save much over the m4 profile.

Depending on how I like the Ergo grip I may switch it over to my other AR and run a MIAD on this carbine.

rob_s
16 March 2010, 04:32
Something else worth mentioning....

I always buy or assemble guns to fit a perceived need. In some cases I have projects in my head that are waiting for the right products to be introduced. The lightweight is definitely one of those cases for me. The new barrels, the Troy Extreme rails, the Baer non-FA upper I just ordered... all these things are relatively new on the market.

I say all that to say this, which is that I always find these projects to make themselves known, and the decisions to decide themselves, because I have an end-use in mind and anytime I'm thinking of two products it's an easy decision to figure out which one is best because I just have to figure out which one best suits the purpose.

For your new gun, you might consider the DD A1.5 fixed rear sight. I also applaud your use of the flattop upper instead of an A2 or A1 as it will give you more flexibility down the road.

federalist22
16 March 2010, 05:10
Emilio has been bitten and the AR-fever is spreading through him...nothing wrong with that.

Dude, I would stay away from an A1 stock, you would probably get disgusted by it later, however lightweight it doesn't make up for it in ugliness and more importantly lack of versatility. If LOP is a concern, check the Magpul PRS (heavy - A2 buffer/tube) or the Magpul UBR (a little heavy - carbine buffer/tube) if you don't want a traditional carbine stock. If weight is a concern, go Magpul MOE (carbine buffer/tube)--probably one of the lightest quality and functional stocks out there.

Emilio84
16 March 2010, 06:50
Emilio has been bitten and the AR-fever is spreading through him...nothing wrong with that.

Dude, I would stay away from an A1 stock, you would probably get disgusted by it later, however lightweight it doesn't make up for it in ugliness and more importantly lack of versatility. If LOP is a concern, check the Magpul PRS (heavy - A2 buffer/tube) or the Magpul UBR (a little heavy - carbine buffer/tube) if you don't want a traditional carbine stock. If weight is a concern, go Magpul MOE (carbine buffer/tube)--probably one of the lightest quality and functional stocks out there.

I am considering the A1 cause its simple but I'd also consider another ARFX stock or similar fixed stock. I'm in NY and we still have an AWB so no collapsable stocks for me.

rob_s
16 March 2010, 07:47
How is an A1 stock "ugly"? it's not like he's talking about installing milsurp stock with numbers stenciled on the side (although those are pretty cool!). He said he's going to use a Cav A1-length stock, which I see nothing wrong with. I would choose that over the ACE all day long.

pezboy
16 March 2010, 09:08

I would also like to know how an A1 stock is ugly. I don't see how the lack of versatility is a problem if the stock fits him and his shooting style. You don't need infinite LOP adjustments or cheek riser with an AR. A carbine stock would be a better choice on a lightweight rifle though.
Dustin

Aragorn
16 March 2010, 23:51
Not to sway you from your Spike's selection, but since you're after a 14.5" barrel I thought this may interest you. Centurion Arms just did a run of light weight, cold hammer forged, 14.5", mid-length gas system barrels with chrome lining aprox. twice the thickness of a standard CL M4 barrel. Basically it's really close to a Noveske N4, only lighter.

The run was made cutting down 16" light weight taper bore barrels, and are NOT on Centurion's website. If you're interested I'd get ahold of Monty (owner/operator) and see if he'd build you an upper.

Just as a side note, Monty has stated he is reserving his usual 1 MOA guarantee for now due to the nature of taper bore barrels and the fact that cutting down a 16" cuts into the taper.

Here's the site if you're interested:

http://centurionarms.com/

Emilio84
17 March 2010, 07:47
Centurion Arms apparently makes great stuff but at $325 for the barrel its out of my budget for this build. Thanks for the suggestion though!

rob_s
17 March 2010, 08:09
Centurion Arms apparently makes great stuff but at $325 for the barrel its out of my budget for this build. Thanks for the suggestion though!

You may find these (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=DD-HFB) a bit more palatable. Actual 14.5", not cut, lighter weight, CHF, and only $250, not to mention available in a variety of lengths if you don't like the 14.5" idea.

Emilio84
17 March 2010, 08:26
You may find these (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=DD-HFB) a bit more palatable. Actual 14.5", not cut, lighter weight, CHF, and only $250, not to mention available in a variety of lengths if you don't like the 14.5" idea.

Ok, now we're talking. Do you guys have any suggestions for comps? I run a FSC556 on my other rifle and like it but the only other comp I've shot is the Miculek Comp on my friend's build.

As for buttstock I am torn. I can either go back to an ARFX Entry length stock or the CavArms A1 length stock. I was also considering a Sully Stock or a RRA entry buttstock (even if I am not a huge fan of how the sully stock looks). I have also considered a fixed (from the factory) carbine style stock. While I know I can technically pin any stock.. I am just not comfortable about doing it in NY as the last thing I want to do is be the guinea pig case for the state.

rob_s
17 March 2010, 09:31
I have a FSC556 inbound from PWS for a comparison I want to do on that device as well as similar devices from Rainier and AAC, but that test is probably at least a few weeks out, and I haven't heard back from Rainier on a T&E. PWS was the first to reply.

Emilio84
26 March 2010, 06:57
Sounds good. I look forward to the review. In the mean time I'm going to be placing my order for the DD 14.5" barrel today or tomorrow and I'll slowly be grabbing the rest of the parts.

Emilio84
26 March 2010, 11:02
So, i keep looking at those $475 complete uppers from spikes (with buffer!) and they seem like such a great deal I am very tempted to go that way but I feel like if I did that i'd just end up with a very similar build to what I built my first time around. Opinions?

I also keep thinking about a .22 build but i'm not sure who makes a good complete upper.

JustMatt
28 March 2010, 17:17
Spikes makes a dedicated .22 upper. Nice write up in the new issue of SWAT

TehLlama
28 March 2010, 23:04
I'd say make a budget lightweight build - nothing to lose. The CMMG .22 kits work pretty well with high velocity bulk ammo.
A1 stock and a middy lightweight 16" will work great. I'd go with that.
Those together, you're looking at a $180 premium over just a dedicated upper, but my wife enjoys shooting her lightweight carbine in both configurations.

Emilio84
29 March 2010, 18:57
Well, i had a moment of clarity and I decided to sell my lower to my good friend and pick up a shotgun instead since I don't have one yet. Along with the marlin 795 I picked up last night that will give me some variety when I go shooting (5.56/.22/12ga). Now I just need to decide what shotgun I want!