PDA

View Full Version : Spike's Tactical 16" M4 LE upper thread

Stickman
15 March 2010, 17:40
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2115

I just completed an overview on the Spike's Tactical 16" M4 LE upper receiver group. I need to more rounds down range, and to get a few other guys shooting it, and then I'll update the post with shooter comments. In the big scheme of things, it either functions or it doesn't.

Comments, thoughts, or suggestions? Post em here.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/WEVO%20II/STCK0298-1024-Stick.jpg

Quib
15 March 2010, 18:21
Good review Stick. The Spike’s M4 LE Upper looks like a quality weapon that would make anyone proud.

87GN
15 March 2010, 18:32
Awesome review/breakdown. I concur with your assessment of the assembly process, if I'm reading you correctly: absolutely perfect.

Put about 270 rounds through mine today, it worked.

Uglyduck
15 March 2010, 19:12
Great review. Spikes is definitely making waves. I think they've been previously underrated. They're QC processes and testing procedures puts them on par with any other manufacturer and their pricing makes them a bargain.

Stickman
15 March 2010, 20:00
I've got some more information to add to it after talking with Tom Miller, no real changes, just some extra info.

Emilio84
15 March 2010, 20:13
I was already tempted to grab one of these uppers and this review may have sent me over the edge. I really wish they made it with a 14.5" barrel. I am contemplating buy it and having adco chop it down and pin a comp on it for me but I don't know if it'd just be smarter to buy a 14.5" upper to start with...

Eric
15 March 2010, 20:48
As per SOP, outstanding photos and review. [adore]

Spike's has apparently taken the time to do it right, instead of skimping to save a few bucks. Spike's has also managed to do this at a great price-point. The $525 is for a complete upper and they include one of their ST-T2 buffers. Drop it onto an assembled lower and you've got a complete weapon.

Shrockp
16 March 2010, 10:26
I am glad to see this as I wanted to see a review of this upper as I was thinking of using it when I build a new rifle next month... I do believe I see a 16" middy in my future[:D]

Bowser
16 March 2010, 11:28
So their heavy buffer is good to go? I was considering either that or a Colt H buffer with spring from G&R. Which should I go with for my !6" carbine length upper?

Uglyduck
16 March 2010, 11:38
Its received good reviews which leads me to believe it functions as advertised. Check out the ST-T2's (http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=104_97&products_id=201) list of benefits to decide if its right for you.

Stickman
16 March 2010, 11:51
So their heavy buffer is good to go? I was considering either that or a Colt H buffer with spring from G&R. Which should I go with for my !6" carbine length upper?

If you run soft ammo, it might not be the right choice. If you run regular ammo, it should be good to go. Gas port size can also make a difference, so its possible that some uppers might not like the heavier buffer.

I use one in my duty weapon, so that should give answer to how much I personally like and trust it.

Bowser
16 March 2010, 11:54
Sounds, good. I generally shoot XM193 and Black Hills 68gr+. I don't know the tolerances of my BCM gas port but I assume it's a fairly normal diameter. I've give this buffer a try.

Eric
16 March 2010, 15:49
Either one. I'm running H buffers and have a couple ST-T2 buffers as well. The T2 is listed as being a tad heavier than an H2, about 4.3 OZ versus 3.8 OZ. The T2's that I have weighed are about 3.9 OZ.

willardcw4
17 March 2010, 23:09
I'm really impressed with this upper... definately going to jump on the M4 14.5" LE if they release one :)

ghostman1960
6 May 2010, 16:44
This is good to know as I just bought a LE middy from them. When I brought it up on another forum I was rather savaged after asking what I thought was a innocent question. Live and learn. [BD]

mlosi762
7 May 2010, 05:10
This is good to know as I just bought a LE middy from them. When I brought it up on another forum I was rather savaged after asking what I thought was a innocent question. Live and learn. [BD]

Don't listen to the "Forum Fighters" and "Net Rangers" on the other forums out there. Most of them have no idea what they are talking about anyway. You'll find A LOT of knowledgeable guys here on WEVO, and bashing someone and being an ass, isn't tolerated. Welcome to Weapon Evolution bud!

Scarecrow87
7 May 2010, 19:52
I got my Midlength LE uppers and M4 LE uppers this week. If weather permits, I'll be heading out to range tomorrow morning and get irons sighted in. Will report back with pics if all goes well! [:D]

Stickman
8 May 2010, 13:21

I wouldn't worry about faceless, nameless people posting on the internet. Forums tend to be filled with people who are brand loyal, or are simply playing parrot to what they've read from others (who usually had no idea what they were talking about).

Keep us posted on how it shoots for you.

ghostman1960
19 May 2010, 07:17
Well I shot 380 rounds of varying brands out of my Spike middy upper the other Sunday without a hiccup.

I was not really shooting for groups as I only had a mbus for a rear sight but it liked PMC Bronze the best as far as accuracy.

My best 100 yard groups.
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt45/ghostman1960/DSCF0199.jpg

Stickman
19 May 2010, 09:23
Good shooting.

Deaj
20 May 2010, 08:29
Don't listen to the "Forum Fighters" and "Net Rangers" on the other forums out there. Most of them have no idea what they are talking about anyway. You'll find A LOT of knowledgeable guys here on WEVO, and bashing someone and being an ass, isn't tolerated. Welcome to Weapon Evolution bud!

I have to say that the civil and informative nature of this forum is most refreshing.

Nice review Stick! It sure seems like a great product with a very nice price.

Quib
20 May 2010, 08:40
I have to say that the civil and informative nature of this forum is most refreshing.

We're a small group, not as big as the other forums. But I think one thing we have over all the others, is one common focus.....straight forward, informative weapons and related gear discussions.

As the German saying goes......"Klein aber Fein".

dan3103
23 May 2010, 14:30
Thanks, Stickman, for posting all the info you posted regarding the Spikes Tactical. I will be picking up my Spikes tomorrow (UPS allowing) and was very interested in the thorough walk-through of what to expect. I had read the lambasting that Ghostman1960 had received on the other forum when he posted his questions regarding his Spikes upper. It is very refreshing to see the people on this forum willing to share some of your knowledge with courtesy and respect, even of us newbies! I look forward to learning a lot, as I have a lot to learn!

dirvo85
10 June 2010, 10:09
This review was a big part of my decision making when looking for my first upper. I'm from Everett, WA and was worried about ordering from a company in Florida.

I ordered my ST-15 Midlength upper about 2 months ago! I haven't been fortunate enough to go and shoot the crap out of it yet! I've been super busy with work but when I do have some time I plan on shooting it a lot and often!

Stick! I always enjoy reading your reviews and looking at your excellent photos! You are an extememly talented photographer! Keep up the good work brotha!