PDA

View Full Version : handgun choice

Broad Arrow
16 March 2010, 18:53
I am looking at 2 railed handguns for HD and carry inside a bag - Kimber Desert Warrior and Glock 21SF. Which is a better choice? Please note that my intention is not to start a 1911 vs Glock flame war. I need honest opinions.Thank you.

Dos Cylindros
16 March 2010, 21:03
Of the two you mentioned I would pick the Glock. I am a huge fan of both Glock and the 1911, but not Kimber. I have owned two Kimbers, and both could not be made to feed reliably. I know others have had better luck with theirs, but that is my experience. I will never own another Kimber. The G21 has a deserved reputation for reliability, it's lighter and has a higher capacity. It is also fare easier to work on and maintain. My choice would be the Glock in this case. Now if you were opting for a high end custom 1911, my choice might be slightly different.

Broad Arrow
16 March 2010, 22:12
Thank you. I would love to have one of the custom 1911 but I don't have enough funds right now...

Aragorn
16 March 2010, 22:56
Here's my experiance. I've shot ALOT of different Glocks, way more than I have 1911's honestly. The Kimber I'm most familiar with has proven to be a very reliable beast, and I'd have no problem staking my life on it. However, as mentioned above, the Glock is lighter, has higher capacity, and most importantly in my book, I've assisted in putting almost 14,000 rounds through a Glock 35 that has had exactly ZERO malfunctions to date. I'll also add that the Glock was purchased as a used gun, and has not lived a comfortable life. It's been shot with no lube, it's been shot with dirt/sand in it, it's been dropped onto various surfaces, I've shot IPSC with it, and used it as a carry gun.

As for your question, I'd feel safe and comfortable with either. Given choice however, I'd take the Glock.

Broad Arrow
17 March 2010, 02:36
Thank you for your reply. I had read some great reviews on the Glock 21SF and I'm sure that its a great gun but I have not owned a polymer gun before hence the little concern ... just wanted to make sure I don't end up with a poor choice.

cmoore
19 March 2010, 04:22
I've had a Gen 1 Glock 17 since 1985. Carried it on-duty for several years before we went to Glock .40's as issued pistols. We ammended our policy to accept alternative weapons for duty (as long as you buy it) and it's on an approved list. I now carry a SA 1911 Operator as I'd always wanted one.

That Glock 17 is indestructible. I only like shooting them with the "S" trigger spring installed, vs. the polymer "New York" springs. I've shot a Kimber 1911 twice and it seemed OK. I like the Colt's and SA's better. If you go 1911, go higher-end, or build one to your specs.

Maintenance: My 1911 needs more than the Glock ever did as I work in a maritime environment. That's something to consider. Glock parts are cheap and easy to find.

With 1911 parts, get parts from reputable companies only. Avoid anything that's MIM'd because they stress and/or break too easy. 1911's are overly cloned and that can be problematic when looking for good parts.

I hope this helps you out,

Chris

TehLlama
19 March 2010, 11:07
The M&P45 might be worth a look, but on those terms, the 21SF is really tough to beat. The Colt Rail gun would be worth a look, as would the Springfield MC Operator would be my suggestions as far as 1911's, but the choice is yours. If you can happily use the glock, then that's what you should go with.

willardcw4
19 March 2010, 14:53
For range and home-defense guns, I prefer non-polymer guns since I tend to like the balance of an all metal gun like a sig or 1911. That being said, I'd prefer a well made 1911 over any glock.

However, I'm not really a fan of kimber. I'm not trying to complicate your decision, but my experience has taught me that Springfield Armory is a more solid and less problematic product. Specifically, the Springfield Operator (my favorite 1911 that isn't custom, it looks so bad ass!!!!!), and the Springfield TRP. They are around the same price as the Desert Warrior (both have a rail) and in my opinion, more attractive and reliable.

Another thing with the desert warrior, the rail isn't flush with the frame like a springfield or S&W 1911 with a rail. Not a big deal, but your light/laser will sit lower.

Again, I'm not trying to make it more complicated for you, but I think you should maybe look at other 1911's vs. Glock 21SF.

However, to answer your OP: I vote Kimber over the Glock 21SF.

Good luck!

Tracker722
19 March 2010, 22:20
Having a Kimber Custom and an issued Glock 21 SF, I would have to go with the Glock.

I am a big fan of the 1911 format, but, the Glock is a beast, eating everything with a copper jacket, no problem.

My reasoning would be with capacity and absolute reliability, straight out of the box.

I have had zero problems with the Kimber but it is modified and did require the normal break-in.

Broad Arrow
22 March 2010, 00:48
Looks like Kimber is not a good choice. I tried searching for TRPs but they seem to be hard to get.

TehLlama
23 March 2010, 11:43
Be patient. If price is a big issue, the used market for springfields is pretty robust - the MC Operators and TRPs can be had for pretty attractive deals, it just takes a few weeks of looking before you find one you can't live without.

2ATA
23 March 2010, 11:49
I carried a Kimber Warrior on my hip for about two years. Right now it is at 14750rds. A couple FTF during break in, no problems since. It even has all those dreaded MIM parts in it and not a single one has broke.