PDA

View Full Version : Noob looking to increase accuracy

moseph
18 March 2010, 11:29
Hi Guys,
I just moved to Oregon from California, and I'm happy to say i just picked up my first AR. I'm the first of anyone I know to pick one of these up, as all my buddies are still in Cali, where you don't pass go, and go directly to jail for having a proper AR.
So I got a DPMS A-15, its got the floated barrel, flip up rear sight, some rail covers, and I just threw on a Magpul MIAD grip the other day. I dont use the weapon for HD, or for work. I just like to shoot stuff, the farther the better. I'm looking for ANY suggestions on how to possibly improve the accuracy of the rifle. I'm not complaining about it's current performance, but I would like to see what I can do to maybe help this guy along. Any plans for this thing are going to be long term, and I don't have a problem dropping some coin. Thanks in advance, I know theres a ton of people here with a ton of knowledge.

Dutch
18 March 2010, 14:42
Prior to doing anything more to the rifle, invest in trigger time. Cartridges and targets and time with trigger will develop the skills needed for target shooting at reasonable distances using iron sights. Develop strong skills and fundamentals. These will be the keys for being a good shooter. Good luck and enjoy.

Optimus Prime
18 March 2010, 20:05
+1. Trigger time and a good coach to watch what you're doing are the fastest way to increase accuracy.

John Hwang
18 March 2010, 20:43
As everyone has stated, the shooter is the #1 element in terms of accuracy. As far as components are concerned, the most important to least in terms of accuracy IMO.

Trigger, AMMO, Barrel, Proper head spaceD bolt, upper, bolt carrier group.

moseph
18 March 2010, 21:29
[QUOTE Trigger, AMMO, Barrel, Proper head spaceD bolt, upper, bolt carrier group.[/QUOTE]

Thanks John, exactly what I was looking for...

Aside from that, have a little faith in us Cali Folk, just because they take all our guns doesn't mean we don't still get to the range[:D]

Fontaine
22 March 2010, 11:31
Hi Guys,
I just moved to Oregon from California, and I'm happy to say i just picked up my first AR. I'm the first of anyone I know to pick one of these up, as all my buddies are still in Cali, where you don't pass go, and go directly to jail for having a proper AR.
So I got a DPMS A-15, its got the floated barrel, flip up rear sight, some rail covers, and I just threw on a Magpul MIAD grip the other day. I dont use the weapon for HD, or for work. I just like to shoot stuff, the farther the better. I'm looking for ANY suggestions on how to possibly improve the accuracy of the rifle. I'm not complaining about it's current performance, but I would like to see what I can do to maybe help this guy along. Any plans for this thing are going to be long term, and I don't have a problem dropping some coin. Thanks in advance, I know theres a ton of people here with a ton of knowledge.

Do you have a reloading press? That is the most important thing to have for a civilian concerned with accuracy, as good ammo in large quantities is what you need if you want to wring more accuracy out of your rifle. Also, lots and lots and lots of time spent at the range, scientifically documenting your rifle's results with different projectiles, powders, and powder charges is a huge PITA. When people say that time behind the trigger and hardwork is what you need for accuracy, they aren't insulting your marksmanship skills, they are speaking the truth.

I've shot up to 680 yards with my AR with a $125 2-7X scope. It was pretty tough... but it was so easy it was boring with my friend's Remington 700 chambered in .223 AI with a Nightforce 5.5-22X scope.

http://www.pbase.com/image/119203163.jpg

After that, you may consider getting another platform/cartridge to play with if accuracy is what you are concerned with. The external ballistics of .223/5.56 and .308/7.62 are not suited to long range accuracy, but there are a few interesting calibers out there such as the .223 AI (ackley improved), 6.5 Creedmoor, etc.

My "precision" AR is more of a SPR-ish style build. I can use it for 3-gun and run 'n gun gaming as well a limited precision shooting. I've got a Trijicon TR-20, 1 o'clock iron sights, and Geiselle SSA in it right now.

http://www.pbase.com/image/122203191.jpg

If I was going for a dedicated precision rifle, i'd get a 24" heavy contour barrel, a Magpul PRS, a Geiselle adjustable trigger, and some serious optics... 5.5-22X seems about right for the .223's capabilities.

Go read up on Sniper's hide's forums if you want to get into the accuracy game.

Ryo
24 March 2010, 00:54
Be sure to study your fundamentals before you just do trigger time. You don't want to be building in bad habits just to be behind the trigger.