PDA

View Full Version : Another SPX Experience post

Jim1973
20 March 2010, 20:28
Finally got the opportunity to shoot my SPX today. I am new to shotguns so went without any expectations. I tore it apart and cleaned it, didn't feel the trigger assy. was loose and the sites were ligned as far as I could tell, definitely alot more accurate then I thought it would be.

I wanted to try a variety of shells, hearing that the SPX could shoot just about anything. Knowing I am nowhere near all the options and I know I will get some flack for not shooting any 00, I still think I shot a good enough variety. 00 and slug next time for sure :)

Winchester Super Target 1oz 8 Shot
Winchester Xpert 1oz 7 Shot
Federal Game load 1 oz 8 shot
Federal Game load 1 oz 6 Shot
Federal Multip purpose 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 Shot. (Variety pack)

In total I shot about 130 rounds with 2 malfunctions. one was definitely my fault as one of the variety pack rounds had excess plastic over the brass. I knew it would probably lead to a problem but wanted to see what the SPX would do with it. Shot fine but would not eject, simple rod down the barrel ejected the cartridge. Second malfunction had something to do with the elevator when I was attempting ghost loading, I may have just gotten it wrong, I don't hold it against the weapon.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase, it won't be my only shotgun and I look forward to comparing it with others I purchase down the road.

Jim

Small Dog
23 March 2010, 15:25
Thanks for posting your experience. I bought one about 4 weeks ago and have had it out 3 times. Approximately 50 rounds each time with a mix of slugs, 2 ¾ #4 buck as well as 2 boxes of wally world Winchester target loads and AA light target loads. No failures to fire or extract. The rear sight is pretty close to bottom with Remington 1 oz slugs at 25 yards but not bottomed out. Front sight is not canted at all as far as I can see and measure.

I inspected it for sight alignment and cleaned if before going to the range the first time and I lightly clean it after each range trip. Overall I could not be happier with the gun. It goes bang each time and puts the rounds where I aim.