PDA

View Full Version : Taking Back the Infantry Half-Kilometer Report

willardcw4
22 March 2010, 11:11
I found this link on another forum, and I thought it was a GREAT read.

http://designatedmarksman.com/files/TakingBackInfantryHalfK.pdf

Enjoy!

EDIT: Link fixed!

EDIT: Title fixed!

Stickman
22 March 2010, 14:18

http://designatedmarksman.com/files/...antryHalfK.pdf

Enjoy!

That link doesn't work on this end.

willardcw4
22 March 2010, 14:24
Fixed! Sorry! :)

Optimus Prime
22 March 2010, 14:59
I've been meaning to read that one... maybe sometime this week.

Army Chief
22 March 2010, 16:00
It's worth printing and carrying around to read while in transit or during whatever down time one can manage. Very well done.

AC

Optimus Prime
22 March 2010, 17:48
I'm on spring break this week, so between range trips and trying to get back in the Army (hooray paperwork! and waiting on it!) I've got some downtime.

OutlawDon
22 March 2010, 22:22

http://designatedmarksman.com/files/TakingBackInfantryHalfK.pdf

Enjoy!

EDIT: Link fixed!

Nice link but it's 1/2 Km, not 500K. Kinda confusing title at first for me.

willardcw4
22 March 2010, 22:36
Nice link but it's 1/2 Km, not 500K. Kinda confusing title at first for me.

Ya my bad, I jacked the forum title from the other forum I found the thread in... I fixed it in my OP so it actually makes sense :)

I thought it was a great read, and I happened to come across it a few hours before a flight... It kept me busy for most of my trip [:D]

Army Chief
23 March 2010, 03:45
Title fixed to match that of the actual report.

AC

willardcw4
23 March 2010, 08:06
Title fixed to match that of the actual report.

AC

Thanks... I could only change my specific post since I don't have admin ;)

eldogg
23 March 2010, 09:28
it's a good read and makes alot of sense.

TehLlama
23 March 2010, 12:41
It could also address the maintenance/preventative maintenance issues involved in keeping rifles accurate enough. In my experience, the times we were engaging targets at 300-500m, we needed pretty precise shots, usually Taliban jerks peeking out of compounds we knew contained women and children, we could really only engage them when they were falling back to their next safe house.
Organic SDMR's (preferably larger calibers, or at least the Mk12 per squad we usually had) is all we could engage with at those ranges, but it made all the difference.

As far as optics - the ACOG and M68's are going to be obsolete within the next decade, but likely still used. The Aimpoint T-1 will live on if the Army can find it's arse and adopt a PDW already.
Otherwise, it's going to be 1-Nx variable optics (1-4x, 1-6x, or the 1-8x being worked on by Leupold, S&B, Trijicon, March, Swarovski) that is designed to be fire effectively at close range at low magnification and have high magnification and range estimation at the long end. Again, the issue is going to be price of these, and how they're spread among rifle squads. This will be an impressive capability, but the training will have to exist to take advantage of this.