PDA

View Full Version : BCM 14.5" Midlength Upper Receiver Group review is up

Stickman
22 March 2010, 21:05
The BCM 14.5" Midlength Upper Receiver Group review is up. More information will be added in a bit as we get out and run it through its paces. If you have any questions, comments, or things you would like to see addressed, let me know.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2151

BCM Website Midlength Upper Direct Link (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-16-Mid-Length-Group-s/27.htm)

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/BCM/STCK0717-1024-Stick.jpg

willardcw4
22 March 2010, 22:56
Bad Ass.

rob_s
23 March 2010, 03:18
I have one of those on the way with a Troy VTAC 11.0 rail. I'm really looking forward to it. I hear the combination of the mid-length, 14.5", and PWS makes for a very soft shooting rifle.

Rated21R
23 March 2010, 04:32
I so want one of these. I think my wife is going to hate me.

gotm4
23 March 2010, 05:01
I have one of those on the way with a Troy VTAC 11.0 rail. I'm really looking forward to it. I hear the combination of the mid-length, 14.5", and PWS makes for a very soft shooting rifle.

The BCM 14.5" midlength with optimized gas system and a KAC Triple Tap or PWS FSC556 is VERY soft shooting. The Triple Tap is a bit softer than the FSC556 but both are very soft. They are tuned to run with a CAR or H buffer and are a tiny bit softer with the CAR buffer.
I have a pre-production one with a hammer forged barrel.
I'm still experimenting with mine, maybe this week I'll try it with a Surefire or AAC Brake to see if it gets even softer. I don't intend to leave either on as I like the KAC Triple Tap on it right now.

Uglyduck
23 March 2010, 07:38

Another excellent review and great product from BCM. Post a pic when it arrives rob [:D]

bigcoastie
23 March 2010, 08:00
I can't wait for Saturday to hit up the range w/ mine (PWS w/ standard handguards), I ended up selling a Noveske N4 basic carbine to fund it so I have high expectations. Once I get a couple hundred rounds through it I'll report back.

Ryo
23 March 2010, 15:22
Now why didn't they make these sooner. ;)

TehLlama
24 March 2010, 09:46
There's no way they made enough for the first run. For each one sold, all that guy's buddies, and probably spouse will want one.

Stickman
25 March 2010, 10:46
There's no way they made enough for the first run. For each one sold, all that guy's buddies, and probably spouse will want one.

They seem to move pretty quick, Paul has a solid reputation with BCM products, so people know their money is buying them quality straight out of the box.

Jimbo45
25 March 2010, 13:20
......They are tuned to run with a CAR or H buffer and are a tiny bit softer with the CAR buffer.

Really? I wouldn't have expected that. I have been running an "H" buffer in mine, maybe I should try a carbine buffer next time out.

newyork
25 March 2010, 20:34
Can't even describe how bad I want one of these uppers.

jp0319
30 March 2010, 02:28
I "almost" pulled the trigger on one of these but I really wanted a CHF barrel. I called Joe Marler at daniel Defense and ordered a duplicate of the BCM but with all DD parts and the DD CHF barrel. I sold my DDM4 upper to fund this so its perfect that I went DD so it will remain a complete DD rifle. I had been hoping a 14.5" middy would come out for a while. I'm glad they finally are.;)

bigcoastie
30 March 2010, 05:35
Well I put just short of 250 rounds through mine on Friday and was pretty impressed, I was using steel case low quality ammo and had zero problems at all perfect ejection and the bolt held back on the last round with an H buffer, very little recoil I have to say this one is definately a keeper, hopefully I can keep myself from adding a lot of junk to it and allow it to be light and simple. Here it is w/ some paint on my Spike's lower.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii328/bigcoastie/SDC10430.jpg

d.hodgee
2 April 2010, 10:12
Great review. I'm really leaning towards one of these.

gt_mule
5 April 2010, 17:41
I've got my own requirements for the rest of the upper, but I would love to be able to buy just the barrel.

DBake
6 June 2010, 18:25
I can't seem to find these any where? These out yet?

Stickman
6 June 2010, 19:51
They have been out for awhile, but tend to sell out quickly. Check out Bravo Company USA (hit the link on the right of the board) and you should find if they are currently in stock or not.

DBake
6 June 2010, 22:19
Thanks Stick, I was looking in the wrong area.

DBake
9 June 2010, 18:59

Have you had a chance to shoot this combo yet?

rob_s
10 June 2010, 03:53
Have you had a change to shoot this combo yet?

One mag only, unfortunately. Day job has been kicking my ass lately. Probably won't be until July now.

My one mag was awesome though, and I topped it with a new Eoturd XPS to try out. Once I get it zeroed I'll be hitting a 3-gun match to try it out.

markm
10 June 2010, 17:53
I have one of these coming. I plan to get it out on one of our 110 degree days and do some comparisons against a 14.5" carbean upper.

I'm going to runs some head to head full auto strings with both carbean and the middy to see if I can feel the smooth.

Stickman
14 June 2010, 09:22
Rob,

You will feel the difference, but how much people feel it is heavily based on how in tune they are with their weapon.

Lancelot
14 June 2010, 20:23
One of these showed up on my door step today. The only difference in it and the one Stick tested is that it does not have the Lite rail, it has the OmegaX 9 rail. (Sorry no camera. Guess it didn't happen.)

It is on a BCM lower with a MIAD and a CTR. It balances out really well. I have no idea how soon I'll get to shoot it. Hopefully the end of the week.

Stickman
14 June 2010, 23:30
Lancelot,

You are going to love it. Try running it with a H or even H2.

Lancelot
15 June 2010, 20:51
The BCM lower has an H in it.

BCM 14.5" Midlength upper with PWS FSC Compensator.
BCM BCG.
BCM Gunfighter 4 charging handle.
DD Omega X 9 rail.
Troy folding rear sight, marked BCM.

Furniture is a Magpul CTR and MIAD in FDE. Rails are covered in Magpul XTM's in FDE.
No accessories on the rails yet.

The gun points and swings remarkably well. I look forward to shooting it. Soon, I hope......

markm
17 June 2010, 15:32
My upper showed up yesterday. It came with a lo pro gas block under a DD light 12 rail, Gunfighter CH, and a PWS whatever thingy. Unfortunately the brake is permed, but I can work around that. I'm probably not going to run the Gunfighter CH since I like nose to CH shooting.

I was hoping to run it head to head with a Colt M4, but the brake makes it an apples and oranges comparison.

Stickman
17 June 2010, 18:33
I shoot NTCH with the MOD 4 and have no trouble....

markm
17 June 2010, 18:49
It just feels funky. I've never warmed up to that big latch. I was sent the Mod 4. Iraqgunz has the big latch that you can manipulate from the future, it sticks out so far!

markm
18 June 2010, 15:03
Got some images of this creation. Seems as though it will balance well with carbine or rifle stock. As soon as my sights show up, I'll find out for sure.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/CIMG3489.jpg?t=1276898255

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/CIMG3487.jpg?t=1276898566

Paulo_Santos
18 June 2010, 17:42
That looks nice Mark. I actually like the looks of the A2/A1 stock for some reason.

markm
18 June 2010, 20:27
For some reason???? It's a friggin masterpiece!!!;) I know a rifle stock won't fly with the majority of users, but that's exactly how I envision it.

It fits the upper like a glove. I plan to test the upper with a bunch of Carbine stock action, since that's how the majority of shooters would run it.... but a portion of the T&E is going to be on the rifle buffer system.

Stickman
18 June 2010, 23:21
It doesn't seem all that long ago that you poo-poo'd rails!!

Paulo_Santos
18 June 2010, 23:36

Mark must be evolving. If I see optics on that upper I think the evolution will be complete. LOL.

Paulo_Santos
18 June 2010, 23:39
For some reason???? It's a friggin masterpiece!!!;) I know a rifle stock won't fly with the majority of users, but that's exactly how I envision it.

It fits the upper like a glove. I plan to test the upper with a bunch of Carbine stock action, since that's how the majority of shooters would run it.... but a portion of the T&E is going to be on the rifle buffer system.

Living in NJ my whole life I've grown used to rifle/fixed stocks. They are not as bad as people make them sound.

markm
19 June 2010, 07:27

I run KAC RAS on most carbines now. But I didn't pick what went on this upper... which is actually cool. It came with stuff I wouldn't pick myself. And I put the Gunfighter charging handle back in so the upper gets tested "as shipped".

Stickman
19 June 2010, 10:10
Very nice, please slap your findings over here when you get the chance.

markm
19 June 2010, 10:43
I definitely will. Iraqgunz is going to help me... I just hope he doesn't want to violate this upper with steel cased ammo!!!