PDA

View Full Version : New upper vs New complete lower

BravoHotel
25 March 2010, 08:21
Hey everyone,

Been lurking around for a couple months since I purchased my first AR-15 in Jan this year. Really appreciate this site and all the great wisdom.

So here's my question -- Just received an unexpected $500 bonus at work and the wife has given me the go ahead to spend it all on my self. [:D]

Right now I'm torn between purchasing a new completed Spikes Tactical lower (CTR stock, KNS pins, etc) for my next build sometime this fall...or...purchasing a new upper to use on my current AR. My current AR is a DPMS Bull 20 with some minor upgrades.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/149467/PHOTO%20HOSTING/Bull20-bipod-scope%202.jpg

My next build will be a short carbine setup...leaning towards something similar to the new BCM 14.5 that I just saw the review on.

So to wrap this up...spend the money on the complete lower to start the next build or should I buy/build the new shorter upper I want and make my current lower pull double duty until I can buy a separate lower to go with the new upper?

Thanks in advance!

rebelEMPIRE
25 March 2010, 08:42
Firstly, welcome to the forum and thank you for posting as opposed to lurking. Secondly, I'd suggest you buy your wife something nice like flowers or take her out to a nice dinner. This way you won't feel too guilty later on. *wink*

I'd recommend getting a new complete upper. Gives you more variation than a new lower. You'll get the lower receiver eventually, but at least you'll be able to shoot your upper right away. If you go with the alternative route, it'd just be a near duplicate piece of metal that performs the same duty as your current receiver. To be honest, the receiver means very little to me if you don't change the stock and/or fire control group. And usually once you find a FCG you like, you stick with it. Stocks on the other hand, can make a big difference on your lower; luckily you can buy those separate and install on your current lower for immediate use, too.

-rebelEMPIRE

5pins
25 March 2010, 09:56
I would definitely get the upper first.

Stickman
25 March 2010, 10:48
My current AR is a DPMS Bull 20 with some minor upgrades.

My next build will be a short carbine setup...leaning towards something similar to the new BCM 14.5 that I just saw the review on.

BH-

Usually I comment to people that the lower is the way to go, as they are the serial numbered component. However, in your case, the current upper you have is unsuitable for most tasks, with the obvious exception of precision shooting at distance.

This presents a little more debate. For $500, you can pick up a stripped lower, parts kit, and stock, and assemble it yourself. If your wife has any interest in firearms, or just likes spending time with you with new projects, have her help you out while you build it.

With the lower built into a carbine configuration, or purchased as a complete lower, you've got half of your coin left to put towards an upper. Your best bet may be to buy a Bolt Carrier Group, Charging Handle, and rear sight, which would eat up most of the remaining funds.

Of course this would not get you a complete weapon, but it would get you close, and all you would need to do would be to wait and save for the specific upper you want.

The BCM 14.5" Middy link is below, and you would be looking at around $480 to complete the build.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-14.htm

BravoHotel
25 March 2010, 11:34
Thanks everyone for the insight!

Stick-
I like your thinking. Why pay for a completed lower when I can save $100+ and do it myself. As you mentioned my current setup is for precision shooting...mostly coyotes and p-dogs.

As AR lowers are mostly standard, I shouldn't have a problem dropping a SBR type carbine upper on it though, correct?

At this time I'm thinking I'll purchase what's needed for the upper and use my current lower if possible. Then build a new lower based on Stick's recommendations over the summer.

Regarding the BCM upper - is the PWS FS worth the price difference over the BCM A2X? I'm willing to spend the additional coin and go over the $500 if I'm gaining something by doing it. Either way I'm going over $500 since I'll also need to buy a forearm...likely DD Omega. Speaking of that I'll need to determine the right size too I guess.

Oh the $ goes so quickly....

Stickman
25 March 2010, 11:54
Thanks everyone for the insight!

Stick-
I like your thinking. Why pay for a completed lower when I can save $100+ and do it myself. As you mentioned my current setup is for precision shooting...mostly coyotes and p-dogs.

As AR lowers are mostly standard, I shouldn't have a problem dropping a SBR type carbine upper on it though, correct?

At this time I'm thinking I'll purchase what's needed for the upper and use my current lower if possible. Then build a new lower based on Stick's recommendations over the summer.

Regarding the BCM upper - is the PWS FS worth the price difference over the BCM A2X? I'm willing to spend the additional coin and go over the $500 if I'm gaining something by doing it. Either way I'm going over $500 since I'll also need to buy a forearm...likely DD Omega. Speaking of that I'll need to determine the right size too I guess.

Oh the $ goes so quickly....

The PWS comp works well, no question about it. However, its not a very effective FS, so just keep that in mind.

Your rifle setup lower should work, it is infrequent for the gas system to have issues when using a carbine upper.

Now have you figured out whether you want a midlength or carbine length gas system?

BravoHotel
25 March 2010, 12:04
Don't know enough about the benefits of carbine length vs. middy. If I'm reading the specs on the BCM 14.5" upper you linked to correctly then that has a midlenght system I believe.

I do know that down the road (lmk if it's best to do it up front) that I want the FSB covered by the forearm for a clean, protected, and hopefully compact rig.

Can this be done on the BCM uppper I'm contemplating purchasing or should I begin somewhere else?

Another part of me is thinking to save coin and just get this LMT and then upgrade it in stages. A part of me wants the 14.5" BCM but maybe I wouldn't notice the difference going w/ a 16" barrel....

LMT 16
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=358

I know, I've ready it here a bunch of times -- buy once, cry once.

BravoHotel
25 March 2010, 12:28
Maybe I'll just spring for the BCM 14.5" for now and slap some of the Magpul MOE hand guards on it. Then when funds allow swap the FSB with some lo-pro and add on a DD rail.

Any negative reviews about the MOE hand guards?

Never mind on the MOE reviews...Stick, found your WEVO review. Awesome as always. Thanks for all you do around this site!

BravoHotel
25 March 2010, 12:38
Well scratch that idea...blanked out and forgot that the BCM is midlength and the MOE hg's are only fit the carbine.

Okay, gotta think of something else. Good things it's a slow day at the office.

BravoHotel
25 March 2010, 13:21
I believe I have found my best compromise once it's back in stock.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-14-5-Upper-Receiver-Group-A2X-MI-T10-p/bcm-urg-m4-14%20a2x%20mit10.htm

BCM 14.5" upper w/ MI handguard and protected fsb.

Ryo
25 March 2010, 17:11
I've been partial at the look of the VLTOR CASV-M (Midlength) handguard. Built up my friends upper with one since he wanted one. Was a fun project.

Also MOE handguards will be coming out summer time. Exact date isn't listed, but that's the estimated time frame.

BravoHotel
25 March 2010, 20:12
Ryo-

I'll definitely look into that VLTOR if I don't end up with the BCM/MI combo. Appreciate the heads up.

Stickman
25 March 2010, 23:37
MOE midlength will be out in a bit. You could go that route and drop on MOE when they start hitting shelves.

BravoHotel
26 March 2010, 07:47
MOE midlength will be out in a bit. You could go that route and drop on MOE when they start hitting shelves.

Good to know, thanks Stick.

Now just nee to decide which setup I want, the 14.5" mid gas or the BCM carbine gas w/ the MI hand guard already installed to save me the hassle.