PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Billet Lower Receiver

Stickman
3 January 2008, 21:42
Most people have probably heard about the upcoming Magpul billet lower receiver. This lower is a custom piece, and certainly looks different than most other AR15 lowers on the market.

Starting with the emblem, the Magpul emblem is clear, large, and looks sharp on the side of the magwell. Flipping the lower over, the magwell, is flared substantially more than a regular style lower receiver. Moving on to the trigger guard, its looks are familiar to those people who have used or seen the Magpul enhanced trigger guard. The Magpul billet lower incorporates this into the lower receiver as all one piece.

Little details such as set screws instead of rollpins make sure there is no confusing this with any other lower while you are assembling the pieces, of course this is making the assumption that you are the one building it.

With the limited number of Magpul billet lowers being released, I would imagine that they are going to sell out VERY quickly, many Magpul stocking dealers have had preorder lists going for months, and that is even without knowing what the price is, or how many units they will be getting.

Shown below is the side that quickly identifies it as a Magpul product.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_9906%201028%20WEVO%20Stick.jpg

Stickman
3 January 2008, 21:44
Shown below is an assembled variant, shown with the following:

Magpul UBR

Magpul Billet Lower Receiver

Magpul Smoked PMAG/ TMAG

Magpul MIAD

Rainier Arms UM barrel (10.5')

ARMS 40L BUIS

Samson front folding sights

VLTOR VIS

Noveske KX3

Bobro VFG

KNS Take Down Pins

Eotech 553

Knights Armament Corporation UNS-SR (Universal Knight Scope- Short Range)

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_9915%201028%20stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_9929%201028%20Stick.jpg

Stickman
3 January 2008, 22:01
This picture is similar to the above, but the optic has been switched out to a Trijicon Accupoint, and American Defense MFG mount. The magazine is the 20 round PMAG with PMAG Ranger Plate.

Note that the doors/ covers are on the UBR in this picture.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_9123%201028%20Stick.jpg

Stickman
3 January 2008, 22:03
This picture shows the lower wearing a KAC upper along with the same USN-SR (which I just can't say enough good things about).

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_9246%201028%20Stick.jpg

Stickman
3 January 2008, 22:05
This picture does a little nicer job in showing the ambi-mag relase area which the lower is setup for. Its not pictured because I don't own one of the Norgon ambi units, nor do I have a pressing need for one.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_9227%201028%20WEVO%20Stick.jpg

Nova
3 January 2008, 23:04
That looks really nice. What's all the text on the right side of the magazine housing?

Stickman
4 January 2008, 11:51
The right side of the magazine well has the company information, and in the case of the limited variants from Magpul, it also has the little Anime figure head on the side. The little figure denotes that it is one of the lowers which aren't sold by Magpul. Below is a quote from Richard of Magpul

These are not for sale and can only be given as a gift by Magpul for special deeds.

In my mind, that probably makes these the most collectible of the collectibles, but no less any functional than any of the other Magpul lowers.

Nova
4 January 2008, 19:46
Haha, that's pretty cool!

TigerStripe
5 January 2008, 00:22
It would be a good collector piece.

TS

DepletedUranium
6 January 2008, 12:17
The right side of the magazine well has the company information, and in the case of the limited variants from Magpul, it also has the little Anime figure head on the side. The little figure denotes that it is one of the lowers which aren't sold by Magpul. Below is a quote from Richard of Magpul

In my mind, that probably makes these the most collectible of the collectibles, but no less any functional than any of the other Magpul lowers.

Ok now im really curious, what'd ya do or who'd you save to get that lower? [:D]

TigerStripe
6 January 2008, 22:52
Ok now im really curious, what'd ya do or who'd you save to get that lower? [:D]

If he told you that he'd probably have to kill you... [:D]

TS

Stickman
6 January 2008, 23:48

Aside from being a full time city cop, I have the fortune to work with a lot of good people on a pretty regular basis.

The4thHorseman
21 January 2008, 11:38
I am seeing more and more pics of builds using these lowers. And per Stickman, there are lists already going for when these become available. Does anyone know which sellers have these lists going so I can get on one???:P

Stickman
21 January 2008, 11:46
I am seeing more and more pics of builds using these lowers. And per Stickman, there are lists already going for when these become available. Does anyone know which sellers have these lists going so I can get on one???:P

John Hwang is the owner of Rainier Arms, and a good friend, so I would point him out as someone I recommend on a personal level. This board never would have come about if not for his tech help. However, I should also point out that any Magpul dealer who has a FFL most likely has a list going, and I'm sure any of them would be more than happy to take care of you.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_8566%201028%20Stick.jpg

Stickman
21 January 2008, 11:47
http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_8669%201028%20Stick.jpg

TigerStripe
21 January 2008, 12:37
That is a beautiful lower!

TS

The4thHorseman
21 January 2008, 17:58
John Hwang is the owner of Rainier Arms, and a good friend, so I would point him out as someone I recommend on a personal level. This board never would have come about if not for his tech help. However, I should also point out that any Magpul dealer who has a FFL most likely has a list going, and I'm sure any of them would be more than happy to take care of you.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_8566%201028%20Stick.jpg

I am afraid how much one of these is going to run me..but I MUST have one!!![adore]

SuicideHz
13 March 2008, 16:21
Get in line!

But I'm not holding my breath anymore...

Stickman
13 March 2008, 21:44
Get in line!

But I'm not holding my breath anymore...

I wouldn't either, I think they are tagged with more pressing projects right now.

PGTampa
21 April 2008, 10:24
Very cool... love the built in Magpul trigger guard!

Lancelot
1 May 2008, 15:08
I love looking at stuff I'll never be able to afford.

But its still fun to look at!

[adore]

TriggerTX
11 May 2008, 06:23
That is a fine piece of work.

Just wondering and I'm not sure if I missed this question here or there but, will there be any 308 lowers?

tac40
14 June 2008, 08:47
If there is one lower to get, I would put my name on this list for it. While at the SHOT show, I offered to buy the one they had on display, sadly they said no. The feel of this lower and workmanship tells me Magpul spends their R&D money well. I did ask about a 308 lower at the SHOT show, they mentioned only a 223/556 is on the table and other products were the priority.

Stickman
15 June 2008, 11:20
I can't help but wonder if this will end up becoming something that trickles out a little at a time, and never really goes into full "retail" sales. Even though its targeted for limited release, its always possible that it may be more limited than we first thought.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_8436%201028%20Stick.jpg

DMR
15 June 2008, 19:38
Stickman,

The built in guards for the Norgan are perfect for my has a lefty shooter. Can you show the right side better. I have always had issues with my gear dumping my mags on the M-16 and M-4. In your pic at least it looks like that will be more of an issue for me. With the M-16/4 the Colt guards at least kept them in most of the time, but these look like they are lower.

What's up with the push pins? I can see from the left side they are ball detents, but how do you work the right side?

If I could just get one of these and a BAN State version/neutered UBR in the closed position, :mad:. Until then it looks like a Sully
Thanks,

beagle
29 June 2008, 07:37
What's up with the push pins? I can see from the left side they are ball detents, but how do you work the right side?

DMR,

I believe those are Push Button Pins from KNS.
http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/Gun%20Parts.htm

v/r,
B.

Stickman
29 June 2008, 10:06
DMR,

Sorry for the late reply, below is a picture that shows the flip side a little better. As beagle pointed out, the pins are KNS pins, and I used them simply to have a different look to the overall weapon, not because of any real need.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/American%20Defense%20MFG/IMG_0041%201028%20WEVO.jpg

MadMax
25 September 2008, 07:47
Nice receiver, what is the price, or do you have to buy the whole gun?

beagle
25 September 2008, 07:54
Max,

The Magpul billet lower was a side project and never made it past a single, super-small run. I believe most if not all of the Magpul lowers are in the hands of Magpul employees, affiliates, and friends.

If you are looking for billet lowers some other options might be:
Larue
Tactical Innovations
Sun Devil
POF

v/r,
B.

DMR
22 October 2008, 10:19
It's not so much that it is billit as the design of the guard on the left side for use with the Norgen Ambi Catch. Guess I will need to offer up something to Drake.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_9929%201028%20Stick.jpg

I am still concerned that the mag release button is more exposed on the right side then on standard lowers. Thus making it more prone to dumping mags on us silly left handed shooters.

Stickman
23 October 2008, 17:58
Its possible that its the directional light in the image that makes it stand out more. I'll take a look and see if its just the way I took the picture, or if its a little more prominent than on a standard lower.

DMR
4 November 2008, 19:36
:(Thanks Stickman, although I guess it doesn't matter, they aren't availible

Arsenal
14 November 2008, 11:44
DMR,

Sorry for the late reply, below is a picture that shows the flip side a little better. As beagle pointed out, the pins are KNS pins, and I used them simply to have a different look to the overall weapon, not because of any real need.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/American%20Defense%20MFG/IMG_0041%201028%20WEVO.jpg

I noticed in this pic the Magpul lower has an Ambi bolt release similar to POF GenIII's - while in other shots the lower doesn't have this. I take it there have been multiple versions of the Magpul lower then?

Stickman
14 November 2008, 18:06
I noticed in this pic the Magpul lower has an Ambi bolt release similar to POF GenIII's - while in other shots the lower doesn't have this. I take it there have been multiple versions of the Magpul lower then?

You are one of the only people to pick up on that.

Stickman
14 November 2008, 18:17
:(Thanks Stickman, although I guess it doesn't matter, they aren't availible

Magpul has stated that the lowers are a project which is on the backburner. I expect to see them at some point, somewhere, somehow.

Stickman
14 November 2008, 18:17
Dual lower pic.....

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20II/IMG_6578%20B%201028%20Stick.jpg

Arsenal
15 November 2008, 08:46

...any prizes with that? ;)

one could easily assume there is some shared DNA in POF's CNC code and Magpuls - any substance there?

Stickman
15 November 2008, 11:44
...any prizes with that? ;)

one could easily assume there is some shared DNA in POF's CNC code and Magpuls - any substance there?

Just the coolness prize.

It certainly appears they are quite similar with the ambi-bolt release positioning.

DMR
20 November 2008, 14:41

Argh, this just made the pain worse

Ryo
26 February 2009, 01:44
Hmm.. just figured out that the Magpul Lowers don't accept the KNS non rotating pins unless you shave a little off one of the pins due to the clearance levels. :(
I'll probably try the bone style to see if that works. I tried to install the standard Gen 2 KNS pins. What a bummer!

Hmm.. looking at the picture of the bone style.. I would have the same problems. [bash]

Army Chief
26 February 2009, 02:02
I guess it's a good thing that KNS pins aren't essential equipment, then. ;)
AC

Ryo
26 February 2009, 02:07
Well I filed the KNS down and it fits perfectly. I also oxidized it black with Birchwood Casey's Aluminum Black. Since it's a non touch or rubbed part,the BC Al Black should keep it black. :)

Ryo
26 February 2009, 02:08
Dang Army Chief.. do you ever sleep, or are you hooked directly up to the computer on Weapon Evolution. ;)

Army Chief
26 February 2009, 02:56
It's a just time zone thing, Ryo. Not sure where you are exactly, but Stick and I have a nine-hour offset, as I'm on Central European Time.

AC

Ryo
26 February 2009, 07:11
Ah.. Well I'm in the same state as Stickman so guess I'm the one staying up late.

Stickman
1 July 2009, 22:41
any news on this?

What type of news are you looking for?

mrwilmoth
1 July 2009, 22:57
is magpul going to offer there lower forsale to the general public?

Uglyduck
1 July 2009, 23:19
Thus far its only been released on limited run rifles from Noveske, and they sold very very quickly. As stated earlier in the thread and elsewhere in the forum, they probably have more pressing projects to focus on. No word has been given on the possibility of full production and most likely wont, as Magpul doesn't give release dates. I wouldn't expect to see them anytime soon, unless you happen to find one the secondary market.

Ryo
1 July 2009, 23:46
It's when ever Noveske lists it for sale, not Magpul.. It will only be in rifle format, never just the sale of the lower.

If you don't pay attention to Noveske, then you won't get one (for a reasonable price). It will never go to production due to insurance cost reasons. I believe they have only 800 made up, of which a 3rd of them are probably gone.

Stickman
4 July 2009, 09:23
It's when ever Noveske lists it for sale, not Magpul.. It will only be in rifle format, never just the sale of the lower.

If you don't pay attention to Noveske, then you won't get one (for a reasonable price). It will never go to production due to insurance cost reasons. I believe they have only 800 made up, of which a 3rd of them are probably gone.

This site releases the info at the same time Noveske Rifleworks puts it up on their website. The difference is that I put up more pictures than John does, but thats because I have more pictures to choose from. The information also is usually put up on Magpuls website pretty soon after its up on Noveske and WEVO.

They do not have 800 made, but you are certainly correct that these are NOT going to be sold as stripped lowers unless you buy one that is pulled apart on Gunbroker.

One thing we saw on the last release was people buying 3 or 5, and reselling them on the auction sites. I think this will be even more pronounced on the next release.

Titleist
4 July 2009, 09:35
Ugh and here I just want ONE of these complete builds. *sad face*

rugbymike
29 July 2009, 17:51
I've got such a hard on for Magpul!!! Can't wait to get one of these.

Ryo
29 July 2009, 18:47
This site releases the info at the same time Noveske Rifleworks puts it up on their website. The difference is that I put up more pictures than John does, but thats because I have more pictures to choose from. The information also is usually put up on Magpuls website pretty soon after its up on Noveske and WEVO.

They do not have 800 made, but you are certainly correct that these are NOT going to be sold as stripped lowers unless you buy one that is pulled apart on Gunbroker.

One thing we saw on the last release was people buying 3 or 5, and reselling them on the auction sites. I think this will be even more pronounced on the next release.

Thanks for the correction. I heard from other posts that there was that many.. once again # pulled out of someone's a$#

Stickman
29 July 2009, 19:14
People tend to take things out of context, and it often goes down hill from there. Another board had people saying that they saw Magpul lowers recently being produced, which of course was false.

Ryo
29 July 2009, 22:15
Yah.. I saw that post about the Magpul lowers being made.. Guess the guy can't distinguish what the real MPLx look like. I wouldn't mind them making more MPLC though..

Stickman
30 July 2009, 09:59
Yah.. I saw that post about the Magpul lowers being made.. Guess the guy can't distinguish what the real MPLx look like. I wouldn't mind them making more MPLC though..

It can't happen, the C series were mismarked for location, and can't be sold. I can't see BATF allowing that to happen intentionally, and I can't see Magpul or any other company making a product that they can't sell.

Of course, thats what makes the C series so desirable.

Ryo
30 July 2009, 14:52
What do you mean mismarked? I haven't read about that..