PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick my first shotgun!

Emilio84
29 March 2010, 19:26
So, I have decided to abandon my second AR build and instead sell the lower/lpk and use that money to put towards a shotgun. My ideal budget is under $500... closer to 3-400 if possible. I don't hunt (yet) and if I go trap/skeet shooting I'd most likely rent the gun so I'm looking mostly for a HD gun.

As far as I can tell a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 should fit the bill but I was hoping to get some input from the forum. [:D]

TripleBravo
29 March 2010, 19:39
A Remington 870 (IMHO) is your best option. It is extremely rugged and more versatile than a Moss 500 (ie you can add a magazine extension). I got this one for the low $400s a couple of years ago:

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww189/wjt1169/Remington%20870%20in%20Tactical%20OD/righthardangle01.jpg

m24shooter
29 March 2010, 19:42
If you're going to consider Mossbergs, I would go with the 590 line. The mag tube and barrel interface is like the 870 as opposed to the PITA method they use on almost all of their 500s. If you get a 5 shot 590 you can add an extension if you want. If you get the 8 shot, you're stuck with it unless you change the barrel too because of the forward mag tube barrel lug. With the 500 series, you pretty much have to change the barrel and the mag tube to add or decrease capacity.
Either the 870 or 590 would be a good choice.

Optimus Prime
29 March 2010, 20:56
Picked up a used 24" barreled Mossberg 930 a couple weeks ago for $400, have since added a +5 Nordic extension, GG&G front sling plate(the 870 plate fits perfect), and Gear Sector sling (have the fixed stock adapter on the way...)
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4764/me930.jpg
I would go with a shorter barrel if you want it for home defense, but I'm setting this one up for comp, so the longer barrel just lets me put a longer mag tube underneath, and the added accuracy is nice.
No major issues with light field loads either, and recoil even with 1oz. slugs is not all that bad.

Emilio84
29 March 2010, 21:19
These pictures are definitely not making it easier for me. Anyone have a mossberg 590a1?

I have shot a friend's 870 and the safety position and slide release position kinda bugged me as I had to move my hand around to actuate them. Loading also kinda had me fumbling. Then again all this could be due to it being the first time I dealt with that specific weapon.

Emilio84
29 March 2010, 21:34
Also considering the Mossberg 50665. I definitely need to run by the local gun shops after work and see what they have in stock.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/50665.jpg

Optimus Prime
29 March 2010, 21:45
My first shotgun was a 20" 590 (still have it).
http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/3352/shottybw.jpg
No problems really, but like has been said, I have the 8 round factory tube, so I'm pretty limited on barrel options. To top it off, I bought it on sale three years ago for not much less than I dropped on my 930. But like I said, I bought the 590 brand spankin' new, and the 930 used (although the outside was immaculate, and just enough rounds run through to get brass marks inside the action. Used, but not much.)
When it boils down to it, the type of shooting I will be doing with my personal shotguns really means that there is no advantage to a pump over a semi-auto. Pumps are great if you are using exotic loads (most self loaders can't handle long cases, and breaching ops with an auto is a bad idea) and some are touchy about ammo (recoil operated, like Benellis, may not cycle with light or low recoil loads); but for general use I feel the lower recoil and resulting faster shooting are a much better trade-off, plus semis are simpler to use. Flick off the safety and squeeze the trigger, no risk of short stroking.
On the other hand, pumps do tend to be cheaper, and like Massad Ayoob said in Stressfire II, a pump gun right now beats an auto on layaway. Also, if you have a desire for a folding stock or pistol grip, a pump would be the way to go. Most semi-auto shotguns have their operating spring housed, to varying extent, in the stock. If you want a tactical pistol grip type stock on a 930, the only one I am aware of is the Choate. There's nothing wrong with it that I know of, but I think it's butt-ugly.

Optimus Prime
29 March 2010, 21:49
Also considering the Mossberg 50665. I definitely need to run by the local gun shops after work and see what they have in stock.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/50665.jpg

That's actually just a 590 just like mine with a Speedfeed stock, 50665 is just the picture's file name.

ColonelColt
30 March 2010, 00:29
I have to definitely throw my vote in with Mossberg. I got a used 590 a few years ago for only $300 at a local shop in Florida when I lived there. It had barely been used and was a great deal. Now, if someone handed me a Remington and said "You're stuck with this." I wouldn't start crying about it but I think the Mossberg is overall a better design for military, police, or home defense. It was designed that way from the beginning whereas the 870 was designed as a sporting shotgun and both show their heritage.

The 870's placement of controls reflects not wanting to "accidentally" open the breech so you have to remove either hand from your firing position and depress the bolt release. While this might help prevent accidental opening through user error, it puts the release in a very exposed place which is easy to bump open. With the Mossberg you simply angle your middle finger up and pull the slide to the rear, it's placement makes it nearly impossible to be opened by external forces.

Safety placement: The 870 was modeled after older military rifles (like the M1 Carbine) with it's right handed push button safety behind the trigger guard While this might be quick to push off while your finger is moving toward the trigger, it's pretty much impossible to do this left handed while maintaining a proper firing grip. If you ever have to shoot around a right hand corner you have to remember this. With the 500 the safety is located on the top rear of the shotgun and this has two advantages: First you can visually see when you shoulder the weapon whether or not the safety is on which can be important when you're quickly shouldering the weapon. Secondly, it's ambidextrous! No matter which hand you use the weapon with your motions are always going to be the same, important in a panic situation. People tearing their clothes and weeping about the plastic safety slider possibly breaking can be ignored unless you're really going into combat. If you're worried about it though, you can still operate the safety even if the slider breaks off or you could easily get a metal replacement.

As far as materials go, the Remington has a steel receiver. While the extra mass helps a bit with recoil, you have to worry more about corrosion. Almost none of them come tapped on top for mounting sights or a rail. The Mossberg's receiver is a lighter weight aluminum alloy that's durable and can't rust. If you trust your Arf receiver not to wear out while cycling hot .223 and being cooked by burning propellant, don't worry about either receiver. The Mossberg is also designed to be easier to disassemble and repair by the individual. The biggest part of this is the ejector being riveted into the receiver on the Remington compared to screwed in on the Mossberg.

Barrel/magazine configurations: Most people will find the five shot or six shot standard tube on either shotgun to be entirely satisfactory for their needs. Mossberg's 590s hold eight but there are two tube types. One is a stretched out version of the 500's that still has a fixed plug in the end but isn't really an issue with 8+1 ready to go. You can see it here. (http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/50577.jpg) The other type was developed from the military 590 originally intended to mount a bayonet, sometimes you'll find them with the bayonet mounting lug and sometimes you won't. Here is a mariner in one configuration (http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/50299.jpg) and a full 590 in another with speedfeed stock configuration. (http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/50665.jpg) The latter is what I currently own and I quite like the speedfeed stock on it giving me a total of nine 00 buckshot, two slugs, and two rubber slugs onboard. I've thought about going to a side folding stock with a side receiver mount for extra ammunition storage. Stay away from collapsing stocks unless you think you'll be regularly switching between using bulky body armor and gear and firing it without, they're almost universally flimsy and bulkier than the standard stock.

If you really wanted the shorter barrel with the Mossberg, or the longer barrel and tube, it's a very simple matter to acquire the other tube and screw it into your receiver. This is cheap compared to what your new barrel, for either brand, will cost you so it's a negligible consideration. I've also found that a lot of people find the Mossberg easier to load as it pulls the elevator up tight against the bottom of the bolt when the slide is home meaning you're not fighting the elevator loading it and you can practice dropping rounds into the magazine well and pushing them forward with ease.

Anyway, I'm sure I've forgotten some salient points but this is getting a bit long and a bit late. Feel free to ask any more questions. I do this all day every day and to be honest, I sell a lot of Remingtons along with the Mossbergs. Some people simply can't think themselves out of the "Remington Box" and no matter what you tell them, they'll stick to what their dad used or what they've heard from a buddy. However, to reiterate, both of these shotguns are perfectly fine for most uses and they both do the same thing at both ends of the barrel. They both have tons of accessories on the market and have been around a long while. One of the best shotguns I've personally ever owned was a High Standard Riot gun made out of glorious steel and walnut that was very handy and built like a tank. Of course that stubby bastard also kicked heinously with slugs loaded into it. - Colt

P.S. Thanks again, Emilio84, for your advice on Arf parts.

Emilio84
30 March 2010, 05:48
ColonelColt - you pretty much echo'd my thoughts when it came to the controls/features of the Mossberg 590.. with an average street price in the low $400 range it seems like a great deal as well. Like I wrote earlier.. the safety and slide release on the 870 are just placed all wrong in my eyes. Really nice handling shotgun but maybe not for my purpose.

Do you know the Overall Length on your 590? It appears you have the one I am looking at buying so I'm just curious.

bigcoastie
30 March 2010, 05:58
My vote would be for a Benelli or an 870, I really like my Supernova Tactical it came with pretty much everything I could have wanted, all I did was add a nordic extension and I was in business. The sights are very good for HD use and the pistol grip stock w/ the 18.5" barrel for me was ideal. I messed around with getting an 870 and upgrading the stock and sights but got the Benelli b/c it was good to go out of the box for what I wanted.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii328/bigcoastie/CIMG0647.jpg

m24shooter
30 March 2010, 07:29
930 SPX

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/100_1210.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/930spxnobwm.jpg

590A1

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/m24shooter/590a1.jpg

Optimus Prime
30 March 2010, 07:33
A Benelli would be a fantastic choice... if you can afford one. I don't think I've ever seen one for under $500 though.

bigcoastie
30 March 2010, 08:05
A Benelli would be a fantastic choice... if you can afford one. I don't think I've ever seen one for under $500 though.

I got mine for $425, MSRP is right around $495 if I remember correctly as long as you're looking for pump action you can get a Benelli for a decent price it's their semis that are 1k + guns

ColonelColt
30 March 2010, 10:39
It's right around 40 glorious inches, Emilio. Obviously having different pads and stuff on it will affect the length. It's an extra 6.5 inches with the bayonet. ;) I do like the Benellis, my only real issue with them is the bulk of the polymer receiver and they're not very common so accessory and part options will be reduced... But as mentioned above, if it has what you want, go for it.

I really would like to see someone respond to some of my points about Remington/Mossberg with logical reasoning. At work I obviously can't demand customers explain themselves when they say "I just like Remington better!" Though I'm certainly not one of those people who's at all pushy about what people by but I'm good at telling you the pros and cons of most gun designs comparatively. I'm off to work now so I'll post more tonight. - Colt

m24shooter
30 March 2010, 12:46
As far as your points on the Remington and Mossberg, I pretty much agree.
For pistol gripped shotguns, the Remington is the way to go. Some stocks make it difficult to operate the slide release on the Mossberg, and without a CavArms large safety slider it can be difficult or awkward to reach the tang mounted safety. For conventional stocks, the controls of the Mossberg work better for lefties, or if you want to be able to operate them without having to significantly change your grip.
I've seen some 870 lefties either buy a left handed safety conversion ( you used to be able to do it without a dedicated trigger group IIRC) or they will claw underneath the trigger guard to reach the safety which isn't that great.
The first Mossberg example you indicate as a 590 is actually a 500; looks like you just typed it wrong. The 590s all have magazine clean out tubes with the Remington-like mag tube cap.
The picture you linked to is actually one of the 500 series.
It will usually have the end cap and screw design you show. However, there are some 500s that have the mag tube cleanout type arrangement such as the second one you linked to.
All of the current production 590 models (standard and A1 types) with the 9 round capacity come with the bayonet lug. The smaller capacity 590s do not have the lug.
If you go with the 6 round 590, you can add an aftermarket extension to being it up to 9 or more rounds. If you have an 835, you can use 590 extensions with it.
As far as the plastic safety being an issue, it has been for quite a few. If the underside of the plastic slider wears to the point that the detent doesn't engage, you will have to disengage the safety after every round fired. I've seen it happen with skeet guns as well as some of the 590s. I'd rather just buy the $10 slider and install it and not have to worry about it ever.

ColonelColt
30 March 2010, 21:14
I'm heading out to dinner but wanted to clarify briefly: Lately Mossberg has started calling some of their "tactical" 500s 590s, I think this is in reference to the fact that they have a 590 style barrel and magazine tube on them. I agree about the safety being better placed on a Remington for pistol grip use. However, I don't think this is as important as I don't believe constantly switching the safety on and off is going to be a factor: You'll either be in a dangerous situation shooting or not shooting (with finger off trigger) or have the gun on safe as you're not carrying it at the ready. I honestly wish Mossberg would introduce a secondary trigger pack with a push button safety or a safety lever in the front of the trigger guard much like the M14's. These are just my opinions however.

I am curious M24shooter: What's reliability like on the 930 tactical with different types of ammunition or with ammunition in general? I only really have experience with the 935s which I find to be too bulky and heavy but then, those are super magnums which I'm not fond of for tactical work to begin with. I like Benellis but I'd rather shell out the cash on my ARs than getting one M4.

m24shooter
31 March 2010, 06:50
I'm heading out to dinner but wanted to clarify briefly: Lately Mossberg has started calling some of their "tactical" 500s 590s, I think this is in reference to the fact that they have a 590 style barrel and magazine tube on them.
That matches what I've seen. Some of the Tactical Cruisers, Mariners, etc with the mag tube cleanout arrangement resemble the 590 but are called 500s.

I agree about the safety being better placed on a Remington for pistol grip use. However, I don't think this is as important as I don't believe constantly switching the safety on and off is going to be a factor: You'll either be in a dangerous situation shooting or not shooting (with finger off trigger) or have the gun on safe as you're not carrying it at the ready.
I think that depends on your training and methodology. I keep the safety on until I'm pretty much ready to shoot. I like the tang safety on the Mossberg as it is a simple matter of pushign the thumb forward or pulling back, even shouldered. I like the Remington with an enlarged safety as it can be manipulated with the index finger outside the trigger guard and laying alongside before the index finger is moved to the trigger without any extra movement. Disengaging it is a little more awkward with reaching underneath the trigger guard with the middle finger to put it back on.

I honestly wish Mossberg would introduce a secondary trigger pack with a push button safety or a safety lever in the front of the trigger guard much like the M14's. These are just my opinions however.
Well, they do have the Maverick trigger assembly. It will work with the 500/590.

I am curious M24shooter: What's reliability like on the 930 tactical with different types of ammunition or with ammunition in general? I only really have experience with the 935s which I find to be too bulky and heavy but then, those are super magnums which I'm not fond of for tactical work to begin with. I like Benellis but I'd rather shell out the cash on my ARs than getting one M4.
I haven't had any problems with mine. It seems that if you start out with loads in the 1250-1300 fps range and work down, they are fine. Some have required a break in period, but I have had no problems with FedTac and Remington LE loads, and I've used the light game loads for practice without any problems. The only stoppages I've had have been from cheap WalMart packs that I bought back in the late 90s.
The gun shoots rather soft and smooth, and if I'm shooting for a protracted length of time I can feel the bolt start to slow down as the fouling builds up. At that point all I've done is squirt CLP into the reciever with the bolt open and then onto the bolt body with the bolt closed and it has gone right back to working without problems.

Syntax360
1 April 2010, 09:15
FWIW, I have a 590 model 50665 and a 930SPX. If you're wanting to keep it low cost, go with the pump. I was attracted to the 50665 for the SpeedFeed stock (as you seem to be), but I'll say that in hindsight, part of me wishes I would have gone with a standard. The LOP is a little long on the SpeedFeed, and I personally think I would have been better served with a little more money still in my pocket and a shorter stock on my gun. Additionally, 2" doesn't seem like a lot, but I find 18" shotguns to be a lot more handy than the 20" 50665 (I'm not a very big guy - YMMV)...

The 930 is a REALLY fun gun, but mine has some quarks that I'm sending it back to Mossberg to work out. Considering the price point, I'm willing to live with a couple weeks of down-time if the factory can make it right. Previous posts that debate the virtues of pump vs. semi are spot on - I'd go with the semi all day long unless you have specific needs for a pump gun. I'd pony up $200-300 more now for the semi-auto if I were doing it all over again for the first time - you will thank yourself in the long run.

ColonelColt
1 April 2010, 13:33
I'm really starting to seriously look at a 930, from what people are saying. It seems like it's a much slimmer and lighter gun than the supermag semi-auto Mossbergs I've handled. I ended up getting the speedfeed stock on mine for $20 from a guy who bought his gun with it new and put a pistol grip on it. Good deal, but otherwise I'm not sure it would be worth the money and it does make the gun longer.

Speaking of 18" guns, my old High Standard Riot Gun with the bayonet mount I made for it.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc105/coltius/c8846baf.jpg

Emilio84
4 April 2010, 22:00
So I handled an 870 again this weekend and I'm considering it again. At this point I am looking at these two shotguns..

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/56472

and

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/336/products_id/46998

or

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/46284

ideas? opinions?

Wallace
4 April 2010, 22:20
rock the DD..................... well I would if I had a need for another shotgun. Love my 870, but picked one of this guys up a few weeks ago and said "I have to get one."

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/double-defense.png

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/double-defense.png

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_double_defense.php

Zombie killing reliability at its best, and its tactical. Aimpoint and flashlight, funny

ColonelColt
5 April 2010, 00:01
I'd get the Mossberg without the heat shield on it, honestly. I know it looks neat but it simply adds weight and it's a pain to clean under it if it gets in the mud so unless you're rapidly shooting a lot, it's not necessary. A lot of guys end up taking theirs off. And it means it's much easier to put ghost rings or whatever sights you might want on it later. Make sure you pick up an M7 to go with it.

m24shooter
5 April 2010, 08:05
Wallace, I think you just found my next truck gun.

Emilio84
5 April 2010, 23:10
rock the DD..................... well I would if I had a need for another shotgun. Love my 870, but picked one of this guys up a few weeks ago and said "I have to get one."

Zombie killing reliability at its best, and its tactical. Aimpoint and flashlight, funny

Its funny you mention that shotgun as my friends were trying to convince me to buy one over the weekend. Its a really neat looking shotgun and if I already had a shotgun I'd have walked out with one.

ColonelColt
5 April 2010, 23:26
Break actions are reliable and simple but they do limit the versatility of your shotgun usage, that's my only concern with them.

Emilio84
5 April 2010, 23:41
Yeah, the only thing that kept me from buying it the other day was honestly the fact that you are stuck with 2 rounds....

Sak007
6 April 2010, 03:20

My shoulder still hurts from that nasty lil side by side ....... damn i love that gun

tac40
6 April 2010, 09:33
Remington 870 is a solid reliable shotgun. Any of the top pick such as Mossberg, Beretta, & Benelli would be a good pick, they're all well made. Beretta and Benelli being more pricer. If cost was the factor-less then a grand-between 400-500, a Marine version 870 with ghost ring and sidesaddle would be my choice with the Benelli M1, M2 or M4 as the my second. I use the Remington 870 and Benelli M1 at work, the 870 being the work horse and can be modified with lights and assorted parts.

Optimus Prime
6 April 2010, 10:22
The after-market parts industry definitely favor the 870 if you wanna play with it down the road.

Skintop911
6 April 2010, 15:30
If you buy a Remington, get an 870P for the added reliability mods and QC procedures applied at the factory.

If you buy a Mossberg, get a 590A1 for the same reasons. Note that I specified 590A1, not a 590SP or other 590 variant.

If you're a lefty, I'd lean toward the Mossberg for the more lefty-intuitive controls.

Others in the 870 and 590/500 lines are built for sport/rec/commercial use. They aren't junk or unserviceable, but they aren't optimized for heavier duty use. With the 870P and 590A1 being little more money, there's really no reason not to choose them.

If neither the 870P or 590A1 are available, I'll take another 870 type. I maintain a bunch of Mossberg shotguns. The 500s don't go the distance the 870s and 590A1s do.

Whatever you buy, I recommend an XP mag spring and high visibility follower. If you buy a Mossberg, esp one with GRS, it's especially important to remove, degrease, loctite, and then reinstall all screws. An XP mag spring, or frequent OEM mag spring replacement, is a must with the Mossberg. Also, you will want to keep a set of extra extractors and extractor springs if you shoot it a lot.

I'm not into semi-auto scatterguns, but I do like the 11-87P and Jungle Gun (9300?) in that role. The Benellis are Cadillac if you've got the money.

Hope that helps.

Emilio84
28 April 2010, 20:47
So I was offered this 870 Police Magnum with all these accessories for $775. Never shot.. just some safe wear. Seems like a great deal..

Opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/user/GunWebsites#p/u/9/niFdqMWL-sQ

Optimus Prime
28 April 2010, 21:43
The Surefire forend alone is worth a few hundred, the Mesa shell holders aren't too cheap either... If it does in fact come with all those goodies, that would be hard to pass up.

2ATA
29 April 2010, 05:49
I picked up my woodstocked Police Magnum 870 used for $250.

The accessories may add up, I have never priced them myself. Then again, I like my shotty simple. Factory rifle sights, a sling and a single round extension.

Emilio84
29 April 2010, 08:47
$250 for a police magnum!? wow.. killer deal!

2ATA
30 April 2010, 06:27
$250 for a police magnum!? wow.. killer deal!

I'm sure it was pure luck. It was on the rack at Gander Mountain mixed in with all the other used 870's. All were priced the same.

I think someone overlooked the police rollmark. Great deal for me though.

Emilio84
2 May 2010, 21:37
Well, I ended up grabbing an 870 Tactical (with ghost ring sights). Now to tear it down, clean it up, and bring it to the range to break her in.

Anyone care to recommend a good light? I like the idea of the surefire forend lights but they seem a bit bulky. Opinions?

What about sidesaddles? I was looking at the mesa tactical ones but I'm not sure if there are better options out there.

Jerry R
11 May 2010, 17:49
The two I have rigged for HD are both Remington, only because they started life as hunters and they handle well for me. I think ColonelColt has one of the best replies to this thread. His comments are well thought out, and detailed.

If I had it to do over again ...

Anyway, a picture of the 1187 is below. Twenty inch "Deer" barrel with rifle sights, Choate 8 shot extension, TLR-1 with remote, 4 shot side saddle and 5 shot buttstock shellholder. I keep it with five 2 3/4" 34 pellet #4 buckshot in the tube, chamber empty, four 3" 15 pellet 00 buckshot in the side saddle, and five slugs in the buttstock shellholder. The 870 Wingmaster is similarly configured, but still has the walnut on it.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/Shotguns/IMG_1172300DPISize1024.jpg

BMYK
17 May 2010, 17:56
Picked up a used 24" barreled Mossberg 930 a couple weeks ago for $400, have since added a +5 Nordic extension, GG&G front sling plate(the 870 plate fits perfect), and Gear Sector sling (have the fixed stock adapter on the way...)
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4764/me930.jpg
I would go with a shorter barrel if you want it for home defense, but I'm setting this one up for comp, so the longer barrel just lets me put a longer mag tube underneath, and the added accuracy is nice.
No major issues with light field loads either, and recoil even with 1oz. slugs is not all that bad.

SWEET MHI Patch....

Emilio84
25 May 2010, 07:26
Just an update on what I went with.

Started with an 870 Tactical Express with Ghost Ring Sights...

Added:

Surefire 618LF Forend Light
Mesa Tactical Magazine/Barrel Clamp (allows for QD swivel use and rails should I choose to add them down the line)
Mesa Tactical Sidesaddle (6 shell)
Vang Comp Big Safety (red line painted)
Scattergun Technologies Hi-Vis Follower
Midwest Industries Sling Adaptor (loop style. Right handed)
Gear Sector Sling Adapter
Hogue 12" LOP Overmolded Stock

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/paintballny/8a7ee76a.jpg