PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster ACR Available!

federalist22
2 April 2010, 15:37
AIM Surplus has announced that it is now selling the Bushmaster ACR----a.k.a. Magpul Masada. They have 9 available at the price of $2,399.00!

Introducing the Bushmaster ACR 5.56/.223 Rifle. Features: 16 ½" 1:9 cold hammer-forged barrel with innovative coating for extreme long life; A2 "birdcage-type" hider; Adjustable, two-position gas-piston-driven system for firing suppressed or unsuppressed; Tool-less quick-change barrel system; Multi-caliber bolt carrier assembly quickly and easily changes from 223/5.56mm NATO to 6.8mm Rem SPC; Free-floating MIL-STD 1913 monolithic top rail for optic mounting; Fully ambidextrous controls include magazine release, bolt catch and release, fire selector and non-reciprocating charging handle; High-impact composite hand guard with heat shield – accepts rail inserts; High-impact composite lower receiver with textured magazine well and modular grip storage; Fixed high-impact composite A-frame stock with rubber butt pad and sling mounts; Magpul MBUS front/rear flip sights. Ships in oversized hard case for and includes 30-round PMAG.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1BMACRBB

4SRecon
6 April 2010, 18:48
No sales to NY. I'd take a loan out to buy that rifle.

Rated21R
6 April 2010, 20:54
i will wait till they work the kinks out and the newness wears off. they will come down in price.

federalist22
7 April 2010, 01:45
AIM has 4 left now. Started out with 9 over the weekend.

skd_tactical
7 April 2010, 11:51
i will wait till they work the kinks out and the newness wears off. they will come down in price.

Agreed

SOS

TehLlama
7 April 2010, 14:40
Yup, the GenI is going to be much maligned as 'that expensive abortion that didn't deliver on what the original Masada promised'.
The GenII ones will probably quietly become one of the best rifles out there. And be cheaper. And have 1:7 CL barrels. And be available in lighter profiles. Mostly cheaper.

Aragorn
7 April 2010, 15:36
I handled one the other day in my local store. I was actually disappointed overall. It had a great feel to it, but every time you hit the bolt release the charging handle would smash forward into your thumb. I think it would have been better to have kept the charging handle on the receiver as opposed to out on the forend to avoid this, but oh well. Also the bolt release was HIGHLY inconsistent in the amount of weight it took to release it. Sometimes it would just go, but a greater portion of the time you had to exert an aweful amount of force to get it to release. By awful amount of force I mean that myself and two salesmen, from a firing grip and using our trigger fingers, ALL had our trigger fingers turn white while trying to depress it. I'll also add that I've got a very solid grip. Maybe this is something that would break in, maybe not. Either way I decided to let someone else iron out the wrinkles before I bought one. As for right now I think I'm better off with a solid quality AR.

Shrockp
7 April 2010, 16:18
I read a write up on TOS, the guy had bought one and was doing some shooting with it and noted that yes the bolt release was tight.... but it lightened up with use.

tac40
8 April 2010, 08:20
OK 2400 bucks, wow, I'll wait. Thanks for sharing.:confused:

TehLlama
9 April 2010, 11:09
Got to handle one yesterday - the feel was impressively good, BUT:
Front heavy - that thing needs a 1:7" lightweight barrel before I'd even consider it.
The charging handle is in the way - I can't run a 12:00 X300 with AFG setup, unless they release a rail that goes further back, or I scoot the light and BUS back another 3"
I still feel like I need the largest backsrtap on the grip and without the telefolding stock, why bother?

The execution on the trigger, and ratcheting quick-change barrel is very well done, but until I see how the RTZ and maintined zero with different lengths of barrels go, I might as well have bought an MRP five years ago.
I've seen some basics selling for $2000 - there's hope.
They'll have a real winner on their hands with a few changes - put the right barrel on it, and cut the price $200 and $300 respectively.

sonrider657
9 April 2010, 13:49
I will not be in line.

prizz23
9 April 2010, 13:52
Yeah the local sportsmans warehouse just got one in, it's 'only' $2299. first impressions are where can i sell some organs so i can get this thing? Very solid, no rattles, and the weight really isn't bad, pick up a comparable rifle such as a Sig 556 and the acr balances alot better for me. I'm interested in the special finish they're using on the barrel, i've heard it similar to Ni-Corr or memonite so im ok not having the barrel not being chrome lined if it does have the newer generation in barrel coatings. And personally im ok with the 1 in 9" twist. I think they have a winner in this rifle, and yeah it's a little spendy but look at the sigs, Fns ,Lwrcs, and pofs and thay are all about the same price point or more and im sure this gun will trump most.

TehLlama
9 April 2010, 14:39
Against a Sig, Ruger, or FN, it looks okay. It's not like those are exactly moving off the shelves either. Nitrocarbuerizing isn't that novel, I'd rather have a properly chrome lined unit.
Compare it to the LMT MRP-Piston model, and it no longer looks so shiny. A lightweight Noveske with VTAC/TROY rail even puts it to shame.

As it's set up right now, there's no real reason to swap the barrel unless you're changing caliber. There aren't many folks who will run it hard enough to require the piston who actually want a 1:9" barrel.

willardcw4
9 April 2010, 15:01
I think in a year or two, once the parts for the caliber changes are available and the price comes down it will be a pretty sweet weapon system to have... I'd love to have an ACR and shoot .223's and 6.8 SPCs out of it... with a chrome lined barrel ofc. Would also be kind of cool to be able to switch barrel lengths if you want to lob some rounds way out there.

Army Chief
10 April 2010, 05:38
You're likely right about the wisdom of waiting.

I'm loathe to admit that my own great enthusiasm for the Masada has yielded to an almost complete indifference to the ACR. A Remington LE/MIL model might have helped me overcome some of this, and I suppose the concept and the configuration will win me back over time, but I'm certainly in no hurry to rush right out and buy one at scarcity pricing.

For the same money, I'm almost more inclined to go out and build a G36k conversion, though with any luck, that idea will sound completely absurd by this time next year, when the ACR has something of a verifiable track record, and can actually be ordered in the most desireable configurations.

AC