PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on my first AR build

B4RAZ
4 April 2010, 04:53
Hello friends, I am new to WeaponEvolution and thought for my first post Id lay out the details for my first AR build and see what feedback I get. I own 3 AR's already but I have never built my own. I friend of mine who is a very experienced gunsmith will help me with the assembly process. The purpose of this weapon is to be extremely reliable under harsh conditions, hard use, and accurate. The optic is going to be an aimpoint T1, so "accuracy" is relative, it does not need to be a tack driver. Ok so here is what Ive got:
-Spikes Tactical Biohazard reciever
-Spikes Tactical Nickel Boron BCG
-Noveske 14.5 barrel w/mid length gas system
-Still unsure on the rail...opinions please?
-Surefire muzzle brake

Thats the basis of what I want. I am 6'5'' so I would really prefer a 12 or 13'' rail. I like the DD 12.0 lite, I also like the VTAC battle rail and the Troy battle rail. The longer the better. I am open to all opinions and advice. Thank you.

B4RAZ
4 April 2010, 04:55
Oh also, anyone running the KAC URX II? I really like this rail but from what I have read it takes 2 specialty tools to install, both of which are around $250 each!

Rated21R
4 April 2010, 07:51
I was pretty sold on the URX II until I did some asking around and got some second opinions. I suggest you do the same, just so you are 100% sure its the way you want to go.

TehLlama
4 April 2010, 13:43
URXII, LT Rail, DD Lite - all good options.
If you're a fan of the VTAC and TROY rails - the VTAC-TROY Extreme battlerail is your answer - very lightweight, comes with the top rail and a few other peices, and cheap in 11" or 13" flavors. Fits with the lightweight application you have so far (T-1, probably an AFG or stubby VFG). You can run a variety of lights on this too - I'm partial to the X300's at 12:00 for this application, but there's lots of other options to look at too.
PM me if you're curious how that would look.

Stickman
4 April 2010, 17:41
The DD 12.0 Lite rail is a joy to install, and is rock solid. The KAC rails are nice, but the tools are more than a little spendy, which pretty much means it would need to be installed by a dealer/ distributor.

Another option would be the DD RIS II rail, which is the rail that was awarded the SOCOM contract. Below is a picture of the DD RIS II on a 14.5" barrel. All the DD 12.0 rail images I have are with 16" barreled uppers.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%204/IMG_0120-1024-Stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%204/IMG_9608%201024%20Stick.jpg

B4RAZ
5 April 2010, 07:14
TehLlama, you mentioned running your light at the 12:00, can you see the top of your light through your optic? Thats a pet peeve of mine...I run a 1/4'' riser on my ACOG on my service weapon just so I can clear the PEQ-16. I like having a clear field of view. That being said, I want this gun to be as close to completely ambidetrous as possible. I do alot of support side shooting so this is important to me. I had thought about running my light out on a rail extension just underneath the barrel? Have you seen this done? Any thoughts? I plan to use a Surefire miniscout but I have a few other choices I can go with as well.

TehLlama
5 April 2010, 21:37
I wasn't ever able to notice my PEQ15 through my RCO - same as the front sight post. If it's a peeve, then look elsewhere - can still run something like a VTAC light mount on the top, with the VTAC-L2 off to one side, but not the most ambi-happy. The miniscout would be low enough to be unobtrusive - would force you to mount the front BUIS farther back, or use a tape switch as I see it, but that should be fine, especially if support side is going to be common.

With something like the T-1 on a riser, you can easily see over the front sight and X300 in my setup, but it's very noticeable.

If the 3V scout is what you want, then you can definitely get by running an 11" VTAC Extreme, mounting it at 12:00, and use either switching option. Would remain completely ambidextrous, and I don't think you can see much of the light using the lower 1/3 Cowitness risers for the T-1. Weight would be pretty minimal.

B4RAZ
6 April 2010, 01:21
Hmmm...I guess Ill have to put it together and just play around with the setup and see what works. Ill definitely post up some pics for you guys. Thanks for all the help!