PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Side Saddle?

Jim1973
4 April 2010, 21:25
Anyone know if the Mesa Teactical Side Saddle mounting screws causing cycling failures is a known/expected issue?

while shooting today a friend and I had an unusual large amount of cycling/ejecting problems. Upon closer inspection we learned that we both had loose saddle screws which replaced the trigger assy pins. We kept having to tighten down the screws thru our entire shooting session and it become clear we need to find a fix or replace the saddle altogether.

We will try locktite next but if that doesn't work then replacement is in order. Oh, and this for the 930 Spx.

Thanks
Jim

m24shooter
5 April 2010, 08:17
I have heard/read that Mesa has had problems with the connectors on other models before, but I don't recall exactly what it was.
As for causing cycling problems, that could be because of the loose screws. I know Mesa put together a two-piece screw design to prevent them being overtightened, but I never got a test unit so I don't have any experience with it. Usually the problem with gas guns that have sidesaddles is that the screws pinch the receiver and prevent operation. Having loose screws may be creating problems as well. If the FCG is not held in place firmly, you may have jsut enough movement to prevent clear feeding from the mag tube onto the lifter and then into the chamber.
I've been using a converted TacStar 870 version without problems, and without the two-piece screw.

Jim1973
5 April 2010, 12:04
Yep, exactly what we are seeing. if the forward screw is too loose or too tight it causes problems. We will adjust it a few more times and see if there is a fix, if not then we'll get rid of them. I will look at the tacstar version.

Thanks
Jim

m24shooter
5 April 2010, 13:41
Mesa went with the two piece screw specifically to prevent overtightening by incorporating a mechanical stop. Sounds like your screws are either out of spec (on two units at the same time) or there is some other problem. Do the instructions indicate that locking compound should be used or are the threads provided with locker already on them?

Jim1973
6 April 2010, 11:30
The installation was straight forward and I dont' remember any instructions regarding torque or cementing agent. However I trashed the instructions so can't go back and look. I will see if my friend kept his instructions although I know he is pretty detailed and would have remembered if the instructions called for something.

The mechanical stop is what I was hoping to find with this two screw setup, but either these screws don't have that or they aren't designed for the SPX.

Still waiting for some response from mesa.

Thanks
Jim

m24shooter
6 April 2010, 16:05
Let me know what you hear.

Jim1973
19 April 2010, 12:22
Figured I would give an update.

In fairness I should mention that I didn't follow up with Mesa tactical other then posting on their forums. I could have called/emailed but after the original post I had decided to just remove the side saddle and move on. Never having tried any of their other gear I can't speak to the quality of the company as a whole.

That being said, I personally believe the design of the Chicago bolts has some sort of flaw that makes it unable to work with the 930SPX. We uninstalled/reinstalled, both to the specific instructions provided and also trying to find our own correct fit that would make it work. During this process we discovered that my friend had placed the provided washers on the wrong side of the side saddle (between the receiver and saddle) but after some test firing we ran into the same problems (Cycling/ejection failure).

Now, my friend is the type to keep tinkering, I on the other hand am the type to know when to move on. The night of the original post, we sat down to do a cleaning and examine more closely what was going on, there was EXCESSIVE metal shavings all thru ought the receiver. Upon examination I could see where the bolt group had cut grooves on the sides and upper parts of the receiver. It was at that point I decided I was done with the side saddle.

My friend continued tinkering, found what we thought was the "sweet spot" and reapplied a better locktite compound. Despite all our efforts, the very first test fire gave us the same cycling failures. At this point, my friend removed the saddle, reinserted the original pins and we shot the rest of the day with no problems......well except we both need more practice at clay shooting :).

I am sure he will still tinker with it, although this last effort may have been the nail in the coffin for his saddle, I will update if we find a happy medium. I will be moving on to a stock saddle or sling carrier.

Thanks
Jim

tac40
19 April 2010, 12:53
By chance did you compare the Mesa with a Tacstar sidesaddle?

Jim1973
19 April 2010, 19:31
M24 mentioed that one and if I decide to try another reciever mounted saddle then that would be my next move. For now I am just going to give it a rest.

Thanks
Jim

m24shooter
21 April 2010, 19:10
I saw that there was no response from Mesa on their forum, and I was going to post here and ask if you found anything else out.
On the good news side, while the modified TacStar unit that I use is great, TacStar is actually coming out with a model built for the 930. I'd expect it to be perfectly fine. I believe the factory unit is a 6 round. My mod job holds four, but I rather like that due to the lighter weight not upsetting the balance.
I've heard of Mesa having problems with their connectors before, and it sounds like if both of you are having the exact same problem, there may be something to that.