PDA

View Full Version : New Patrol Carbine

OfcPowder
6 April 2010, 16:13
After over a year of figuring out what parts I wanted and waiting for good deals, here's my finished product and soon to be new patrol carbine. The only thing I wished I'd waited for are the new 14.5" mid-gas systems that are now out there. Grrrr... always new stuff coming to the market!!! Special thanks to Aero Precision for the outstanding customer service.

Aero Precision lower and flattop upper (color filled myself)
DPMS LPK
DD BCG
Magpul rear MBUS
Stark SE-1 grip
VLTOR EMOD stock and buffer tube
Noveske QD endplate
DD CHF 14.5" M4 profile barrel
FSC556 comp/fs (pinned/welded by Rainier)
DD 9.5FSP Lite rail
Tango Down stubby FG
Surefire mini-scout light
Aimpoint Comp ML3 in BOBRO mount
Vickers 2 point combat sling (not pictured)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z91/jwilliams028/DSC_2733.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z91/jwilliams028/DSC_2735.jpg

Stickman
6 April 2010, 18:48
Nice setup, what made you go with this over your other setup?

OfcPowder
6 April 2010, 21:22
Two major things influenced this - I wanted a 14.5 barrel over my current 16 incher. Not a huge deal in the long run, but sometimes this is a game of inches. Second, I wanted a fixed front sight. I could have just bought a rail mounted fixed sight or leave my other one flipped up, but I like the look of the DD FSP rails.

Other factors - I was also looking for somewhat lightweight, and wanted a good accurate barrel, so I went with the CHF. I'm in love with this stock, I like it way more than my current Magpul setup. I prefer the angle of the stark grip over the traditional angle, it's more comfortable to my hand. I found over the past few years of running my AR, I got more comfortable with a modified grip with my support hand, partially on the rail, partially on the FG. I got the light because of it's size and weight savings. Keeping the same optic as my current carbine - I actually zeroed this yesterday on this rifle, so I'm running irons on my duty pig until my qualification in a couple weeks).

And finally, I like that Aero is locally produced.

Stickman
6 April 2010, 22:00
Thanks for the info, and your pictures are getting quite good.

zero7one
6 April 2010, 23:20
your pictures are getting quite good.

Agreed. Your bottom picture is sharp and they have a good contrast to them. Keep up the nice work.

Kitty
7 April 2010, 09:25
How do you like the FSC556? Any issues with dust production in the prone/rollover prone?

OfcPowder
7 April 2010, 17:27
How do you like the FSC556? Any issues with dust production in the prone/rollover prone?

I haven't had too much issue with it. I almost took a brass to the face during rollover prone after it bounced of the ground, but that's part of the game.

tac40
8 April 2010, 08:26
Any range time yet?

OfcPowder
8 April 2010, 10:54
Any range time yet?

Yeah I've got about 500 rounds through it now. I initially had issues with 2-shot burst, but that was resolved by replacing the RRA LPK with a DPMS one. It functions flawlessly now and shoots very accurately. I'm looking forward to using and abusing the crap out of it in the coming years.

Stickman
8 April 2010, 12:30
Yeah I've got about 500 rounds through it now. I initially had issues with 2-shot burst, but that was resolved by replacing the RRA LPK with a DPMS one.

Was it the 2 stage RRA trigger group?

OfcPowder
8 April 2010, 23:21
Was it the 2 stage RRA trigger group?

No it was just the single stage. Aero explained they had 1 in 7 of the RRA kits do this, and it has to do with quality control and the angle of the primary sear I think...

OfcPowder
15 April 2010, 21:40
Happy to report this rifle is darn accurate. Shot my department's qual today. 200 points possible. Shot 194 with irons and 198 with optics. We actually determined the guy next to me probably shot my iron target, because I had 2 extra rounds on mine, and he was missing 3... I say his are the ones that hit the 3 ring, not mine. :)

Stickman
18 April 2010, 11:04
Happy to report this rifle is darn accurate. Shot my department's qual today. 200 points possible. Shot 194 with irons and 198 with optics. We actually determined the guy next to me probably shot my iron target, because I had 2 extra rounds on mine, and he was missing 3... I say his are the ones that hit the 3 ring, not mine. :)

Your Range Staff didn't deduct the extra rounds from your total score? You must have had nice guys working..... [:D]

OfcPowder
18 April 2010, 20:24
Your Range Staff didn't deduct the extra rounds from your total score? You must have had nice guys working..... [:D]

Yeah they can't all be hard asses...

Policetacteam
18 April 2010, 23:32
Nice looking rig! I haven't had an opportunity to try a Stark grip yet. Looks interesting!

Kitty
21 April 2010, 00:44
You need an IV bag attachment point for coffee.

Sweet rig, looks light...for us 90 pound wusses that's a plus....

Let us know if it continues to run. I'm trying to come up with a mix I like (and also trying to figure out how to pay for it...) for my new baby, and your build is interesting.

John Hwang
22 April 2010, 06:49
RRA LPKs have usually been very good for us. I'm sure this wasn't the case but some install the disconnector spring upside down which can cause bump fires. For those who are new to assembly, the fat part of the spring faces down.

liberty057
24 April 2010, 14:30
AeroPrecision lowers are awesome. High quality, high value. Love mine.