PDA

View Full Version : A Spring Thaw Discussion on AR Assembly Tools

Army Chief
10 April 2010, 09:24
Now that component parts are more readily available (at least, in relative terms), and warmer weather has most of us headed back out into our workshops and garages, this is probably an appropriate time to talk about some of the tools of the trade where AR assembly is concerned: both those that are already in a typical mechanic's tool kit, and those which are considerably more specialized.

Many of the bench tools associated with basic AR assembly are, of course, fairly commonplace. These include things like properly-sized screwdrivers, pliers, allen/Torx wrenches, ball-peen hammers, and some basic punches. Some of the less common (but still easy-to-find) things that you need to have on hand include a breaker bar, a torque wrench, a proper bench vise, several types of roll pin holders and some snap-ring pliers.

Then, there are the specialized tools that are unique to the AR, some of which are absolutely essential, and others, merely nice-to-have. These include various jigs, specialty wrenches (for both barrels and stocks), associated multi-tools, vise blocks, special adapters, various gauges, staking tools, reamers and those proprietary tools that may be associated with certain aftermarket (nonstandard) barrels, rails and accessories. As the market has grown, so too have the number of options available, and one could literally spend thousands of dollars on outfitting a complete shop set.

We've already got a discussion thread (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2070-HammerHead-Rifle-Tool&highlight=Hammerhead) underway on the excellent Hammerhead tool, and I'm curious what other tools, aids and devices our members consider "essential kit." Which tools have you found absolutely indispensable? Which have simply made life easier and proven worth the expense? Which do you consider superfluous or largely novelty items? Which manufacturers seem to offer the most usable tools? Where have you acquired your tools of choice? Which would you be quickest to recommend?

Granted, this is a deliberately broad topic, but why not take a look at your workbench, consider some of your past builds (and the hard lessons learned along the way), and share a few thoughts?

AC

MoxyDave
10 April 2010, 15:59
Don't forget to have your torque wrench calibrated every couple of years. I did this recently and found it was off by quite a bit.

Quib
10 April 2010, 19:08
Don't forget to have your torque wrench calibrated every couple of years. I did this recently and found it was off by quite a bit.

Good point.

Quality name-brand new torque wrenches should come from the manufacturer with a “Certificate Of Calibration“. The aviation maintenance organizations I’ve been associated with have all recognized these certificates and considered the torque wrench calibrated for one year from the manufacturers “Cal Date“. Further calibration checks are then done on an annual basis.

Some tips for using torque wrenches:

- Never use a torque wrench as a breaker bar to bust loose a tight fastener.
- Dropped torque wrenches should be turned in for calibration.
- Store torque wrenches with the wrench set to the lowest setting to prevent internal damage.

ETA: Some related “tool storage” info can be had in the latter part of the following thread.....

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2077-AR-15-Spare-Parts-Storage

Quib
23 April 2010, 15:30
One tool I like to use for FSB Taper Pin R&R work, which is not normally associated with weapons maintenance but more with woodworking, is a Nail Set.

I’ve found the appropriate sized Nail Set with its concave face, fits the rounded head of the FSB Taper Pins perfectly.

This concave face prevents slippage off the head of the Taper Pin during installation, which is common with a standard flat faced pin punch. And the concave face also helps prevent mushrooming of the Taper Pin, also a pretty common occurrence when utilizing a standard flat faced pin punch.

Army Chief
24 April 2010, 06:13
Great tip, Quib!

When considering which tools should be on hand for AR work, it is all-too-easy to overlook those that might have actually been designed for other applications. In this instance, a concave nail set would seem to be far better-suited to FSB work than anything found in a conventional armorer's tool kit. I'll definitely be adding that one to my bag of tricks.

AC

John Hwang
24 April 2010, 09:25
The tool that gets used a lot is a Hook Spanner Wrench from Armstrong. We use these for stocks and various FF hand guards.

http://www.drillspot.com/pimages/5089/508924_300.jpg

5pins
24 April 2010, 11:19
Roll pin punches. I thought they were just a gimmick until I tried them. You can do with out them but it makes the job so much easer.