PDA

View Full Version : Finally fired my new AK...

Creeky73
11 April 2010, 20:32
so I finally got to shoot my new yugo underfolder. This is my first experience with an AK, although not with the 7.62 round. It is a Century build, and like I mentioned in an earlier post, this model yugo does NOT have the 1.6mm receiver that most of these weapons are known for. The model is M70AB2T, and that T at the end is what designates it as a standard 1mm AK receiver. So far, it does not seem to be an issue.

Only 80 rounds were fired through her today, and I know that hardly qualifies as a "test." I am not qualified to give you guys a gun review anyway, so all I can do is give you opinion. Out of one of the supplied Tapco polymer magazines (I forgot to bring the 2nd one that I got with the gun) there were no misfeeds or jams of any kind, using the cheapest Wolf ammo I could find. 80 rounds misfeed-free isn't much, but it is a good start. I typically steer very clear of Tapco products, and I will soon be buying some commie metal mags for her. The Yugoslavian metal magazines, while a bit pricey and hard to find sometimes, have a bolt hold open feature that other AK mags do not. I will be acquiring some of these soon.

Speaking of Tapco products, while I don't like them much, the G2 trigger included feels pretty good. I hope it doesn't get sloppy over time.

This weapon does not kick nearly as bad as I thought, although I didn't expect a great deal of it anyway. There is, however, quite noticeably more muzzle climb per round with the AK than with the AR's (Duh, I know...) and for the life of me I have a hard time seeing how a full auto AK would be good for anything outside of 5 feet in front of you. Even just rattling off 3 or 4 quick rounds in the semi auto takes your last shot(s) way off target. A vfg would probably help quite a bit, but I have no plans to put one on there. But the gun does feel more powerful in every way, and I like that so far.

My only concern so far is for the plastic handguards. I had seen a few youtube videos where people had melted the handguards on their yugos, and now I see why. This barrel gets stupid hot after one magazine, and I don't mean unloading it as fast as you can. I understand that 30 rounds is a lot, but you could cook bacon on that thing. I guarantee my AR doesn't get that hot under similar firing. I don't know if it will present itself as an issue later on, but I don't feel like we worked it hard at all today, and it does give me cause for concern.

I already mentioned that the kick was not bad at all, nor was the underfolder stock as uncomfortable as people make out. I did not find the lack of a good cheek weld as a huge deal, either.

I am not including any photos because you can find pictures of yugo underfolders easily online. I got mine from Classic Arms. Price before FFL and shipping was $470.

oh, I also shot my first M1 Garand today, one dating from the Korean conflict. Now I understand why people love these guns so much. And I hate it, because....now I need another gun. [bash]