PDA

View Full Version : What Buffer for Subsonic/Suppressed ammo?

prizz23
16 April 2010, 19:09
Hey guys, pretty new here, seems like a good group of shooters. Anyways i have applied for my class 3 permit for a suppressor for my Smith M&P15, my question is do i need to change my buffer or spring to handle the lower pressure subsonic loads? currently have a DD T2 buffer

Lastrites
19 April 2010, 16:34
Doesn't the suppression increase the interal pressure? At least I always thought it did so by going with SS ammo it's kind of a trade off.

Specialized Armament
19 April 2010, 21:25
Hey guys, pretty new here, seems like a good group of shooters. Anyways i have applied for my class 3 permit for a suppressor for my Smith M&P15, my question is do i need to change my buffer or spring to handle the lower pressure subsonic loads? currently have a DD T2 buffer

Class 3 Permit? I am sure you meant to say Form 4. Your rifle probably will not cycle reliably, if at all, with subsonic ammunition and a reduced power action spring will not solve any problems. Only shoot ammunition your rifle was designed to shoot. As to the buffer, ANY suppressed AR-15/M16 should have an X Buffer installed, period.

Eric
21 April 2010, 16:28
do i need to change my buffer or spring to handle the lower pressure subsonic loads?
Subsonic 5.56, or...?

prizz23
21 May 2010, 09:05
So no subsonics unless i want a single shot... and yes 5.56 is the caliber of the firearm. And i can't say i'm familiar with an X buffer, what is it and where can i get one?

Specialized Armament
21 May 2010, 11:17
So no subsonics unless i want a single shot... and yes 5.56 is the caliber of the firearm. And i can't say i'm familiar with an X buffer, what is it and where can i get one?

An X Buffer is manufactured with three tungsten weights and a steel body in lieu of aluminum. You can purchase one here (http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/BUTTSTOCK_BUFFER_ASSEMBLY_9MM_SPECIAL_PURPOSE_X-120-0.html)

Vise
28 July 2010, 21:30
No picture and no information on the X Buffer. What is the advantage to using this buffer?

Specialized Armament
29 July 2010, 04:28
No picture and no information on the X Buffer. What is the advantage to using this buffer?

It slows down the speed of the bolt group reducing wear and tear on your rifle.

m249saw
20 August 2010, 06:19
Im waiting for my 12.5" barrel to come back. Ill be running a Spikes T2 buffer with a Noveske switchblock so I shouldn't have to use as heavy of a buffer.