PDA

View Full Version : eotech opinions?

eddie764
21 April 2010, 07:14
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at an Eotech and wondering if you guys have opinions either way on the 7mm raised base w/ the throw levers on some models or not. My build has Troy fixed sights and am looking to cowitness.

Thanks for any help.

Kitty
21 April 2010, 11:27
That would provide a lower 1/3 cowitness (guessing you already knew that) and there is a good discussion of the merits of that vs absolute cowitness here http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?881-How-do-you-prefer-your-co-witness .

For what it's worth, I think a throw lever or some kind of quick detach mounts on optics are great in the event the glass breaks and you need to get that thing off your gun quickly/under stress. I used to have an eotech with a GG&G throw lever which I liked and was solid. It doesn't have a riser but I prefer absolute cowitness.

John Hwang
21 April 2010, 15:13
I'm a fan of the 516s. They use CR123 batteries, slightly raised for lower 1/3 cowitness and buttons on the side for a future Magnifier.

Eric
21 April 2010, 16:21
It really is a personal preference. I've ran both, but prefer a standard base instead of those with the 7mm riser. Since the irons sit rather low in the Eotech window, I had to work harder at picking the irons up.

It's nice to have options.

rebelEMPIRE
21 April 2010, 18:10
I have tons of AA batteries available. They're cheap and easily procured whenever I need any. I was planning on adding on a magnifier at a later time, so I opted for a 557 model, which has the buttons on the side, and a .223 bullet drop reticle out to 600 meters. No need for any QD attachments since it's installed at a height of 1/3 co-witness, which is my personal preference. The over-sized thumb screw is easily operated with essentially any flat device available. If I ever choose to install it on a non-freefloat AR with a delta ring, the 557 can clear it, too.

Really, the question is what do you want to use your weapon for, and that will dictate what optic (and more specifically, which model) to purchase.

-rebelEMPIRE

sonrider657
22 April 2010, 05:53
I prefer the lower 1/3 co-witness. It is harder to see the iron sights but it is a low probability that you will need them any way.

Skintop911
22 April 2010, 11:01
If I had to have an Eotech, it would be one of the new XPS variants. They appear to be offering the best hope for consistent and reliable operation in the line.

I prefer a lower 1/3 cowitness. To accomplish that with an Eotech, I like the LT riser.

Policetacteam
23 April 2010, 11:32
I have used a number of different EOTech's over the years. I am currently using the 553 which I like alot! Is it light...not really! I like the quick detach capability although I don't find that I use all that often. I also like that it's a tad bit shorter than the standard length EOTech. But most of all the 553 looks like a freakin tank. Overbuilt and bombproof! The XPS are also very nice! If weight is a major concern the XPS and the very soon to be released EXPS (w/ 7mm riser, side buttons, and QD mount) would be perfect! These are amazingly light and also very durable!

turbulence
24 April 2010, 05:59
I really like the eotech xps model. With the larue mount the cowitness is in the bottom 1/3. I thought it would be in the way but I was pleasantly surprised.

CAPT KIRK
25 April 2010, 15:50
I'm a fan of the 516s. They use CR123 batteries, slightly raised for lower 1/3 cowitness and buttons on the side for a future Magnifier.

I am still using a 516 that I baught about 3 years ago.... it has not given me one bit of trouble, and yes my sights co-witness in the lower 1/3.
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo355/DEPKIRK/N4right2010.jpg

orthonovum
26 April 2010, 08:33
I have the 557 which uses a thumb screw to attach/detach, i would rather have the quick throw lever but not a big deal for me. this gives me a lower 1/3rd and it works very well without any risers or extra mounts needed

That would provide a lower 1/3 cowitness (guessing you already knew that) and there is a good discussion of the merits of that vs absolute cowitness here http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?881-How-do-you-prefer-your-co-witness .

For what it's worth, I think a throw lever or some kind of quick detach mounts on optics are great in the event the glass breaks and you need to get that thing off your gun quickly/under stress. I used to have an eotech with a GG&G throw lever which I liked and was solid. It doesn't have a riser but I prefer absolute cowitness.

actually Eotechs will still work with the glass broken :) I played with a demo unit that had a hole busted right through the glass and the hologram was still there in mid air, it was really neat.

rob_s
26 April 2010, 08:45
If I had to have an Eotech, it would be one of the new XPS variants. They appear to be offering the best hope for consistent and reliable operation in the line.

I prefer a lower 1/3 cowitness. To accomplish that with an Eotech, I like the LT riser.

What he said.

I'm going to be trying an XPS shortly, although I'm going to run it right on the rail instead of raised up.

rebelEMPIRE
26 April 2010, 16:12
actually Eotechs will still work with the glass broken :) I played with a demo unit that had a hole busted right through the glass and the hologram was still there in mid air, it was really neat.

I too played with an EOTech that had a hole blasted through the glass. And can confirm the hologram still works. It's why this optic is referred to as HWS instead of the simpler variety, RDS.

-rebelEMPIRE

Kitty
27 April 2010, 10:46
I have the 557 which uses a thumb screw to attach/detach, i would rather have the quick throw lever but not a big deal for me. this gives me a lower 1/3rd and it works very well without any risers or extra mounts needed

Heh..cool! Maybe they should come that way...

Either way, it makes me warm and fuzzy to know you can strip the optic off in a hurry. Maybe the glass shatters but remains in place obscuring your view, maybe you accidentally set the optic in concrete and can't see through it...it's just for that 9th contingency when you HAVE to get your optic off your gun. It's probably not the top life and death priority, but it makes me feel better.

Also did I mention I use an aimpoint... those don't work with broken glass. :)

Jayczar
20 August 2010, 17:14
Ok guys been doing a lot of research lately and this seems like this is the thread to post my scenario on. I'm looking to buy my first optic. I obviously want to buy it right the first time so please bear with me. I'm looking at the 552a65 and 556a65. It's my undersanding that the 556 is raised up 7mm compared to the 552. I also think I read somewhere that it is possible to raise the 552 with a riser from say
larue. Never owning an optic and not knowing whether I prefer an absolute or a
lower 1/3 co witness would I be safe in saying the 552 is my better choice??? My
thought process is if I don't like the height of the 552 I'll just be able to raise it.

Any input would be appreciated!!!

Hmac
20 August 2010, 18:04
I have a 517, 577, and and EXPS2 (OPMOD). I prefer the Eotech reticle lower third co-witness, so the 7mm riser base works fine for me, I prefer it for the less-critical cheek weld. The OPMOD has the QD mount and I've found it to be well designed and solid with an excellent repeatable zero. I run the 577 on a beater rifle with a 3X FTS magnifier. That thing has been abused horribly but has been utterly reliable.

Paulo_Santos
20 August 2010, 18:52
Ok guys been doing a lot of research lately and this seems like this is the thread to post my scenario on. I'm looking to buy my first optic. I obviously want to buy it right the first time so please bear with me. I'm looking at the 552a65 and 556a65. It's my undersanding that the 556 is raised up 7mm compared to the 552. I also think I read somewhere that it is possible to raise the 552 with a riser from say
larue. Never owning an optic and not knowing whether I prefer an absolute or a
lower 1/3 co witness would I be safe in saying the 552 is my better choice??? My
thought process is if I don't like the height of the 552 I'll just be able to raise it.

Any input would be appreciated!!!

Check out this thread to see if it will help with the co-witness/lower 1/3 decision: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2497-UNDERSTANDING-CO-WITNESS

Then I'd look into the EOTech XPS or EXPS series.

Jayczar
20 August 2010, 19:50
Paulo I've read your post a few times since you posted it. Lots of good info. I'm just afraid of buying an optic and having the height not be what I turn out to prefer. Which is why I posed the question that I did. In terms of the xps and exps sights they are out of my current price range.

Paulo_Santos
21 August 2010, 06:42
I understand the price issue. Definitely take advantage of the EOTech rebate and check the non NV models to save even more money.

As far as the height, do you have a fixed front sight? That might be a good way to determine what height to get.

Hmac
21 August 2010, 06:55
Paulo I've read your post a few times since you posted it. Lots of good info. I'm just afraid of buying an optic and having the height not be what I turn out to prefer. Which is why I posed the question that I did. In terms of the xps and exps sights they are out of my current price range.

OPMOD is $495. It is an EXPS2, lever quick-detach, 7mm riser, side buttons. The billboard graphic is a little hokey, but wasn't a deal-breaker for me.

http://mccollister.info/opmod.jpg

Jayczar
21 August 2010, 07:17
Paulo I have Troy folding front and rear sights. As far as the rebate I will definitely be taking advantage of the offer. Right now i can get the 552 for $375 and the 556 for $435 which I believe are great prices.

Hmac the price you're talking about isn't too bad either.

Here is a little picture of my setup now:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs613.snc3/32279_397922389742_516989742_3915515_322028_n.jpg

Hmac
21 August 2010, 07:54
Hmac the price you're talking about isn't too bad either.

I bought that OPMOD before the rebate, but it's not part of the rebate program anyway. However, I did have a 10% discount code from Optics Planet (they give you one every time you agree to submit a purchase review) so the OPMOD cost me $445 with no sales tax charged and free shipping. In my case I was sure that I wanted/needed a 7mm riser, and because I occasionally use a 3x magnifier I needed side buttons as well. And I didn't want to pay extra for NV capability, which I have no use for. This was the cheapest way for me to get the maximum number of features I needed/wanted in a high-quality optical sight.

Jayczar
21 August 2010, 08:12
I don't need NV and I don't plan on using a magnifier. My biggest fear/concern is buying a raised sight and not liking it. Like I said before I believe I can raise the 552 if needed and at $375 I think that's the ticket for me..... Hopefully LOL

Quib
21 August 2010, 09:49
Coming in a bit late here, and not sure if this was covered yet, but another factor to consider when running an EOTech besides co-witness, is choice of iron sights.

As Paulo pointed out in his tutorial linked above:

If you have/use the front and rear flip-up BUIS, I recommend that you just determine what height is best for you based on your head position. If you have a fixed front BUIS/Sight, you have to first determine the proper height based on your head position, and then, if you determine that you would be better off with the absolute/regular co-witness height, then you have to]determine if you can put up with the front sight being in the way.

When I purchased my EOTech, I initially ran a fixed FSB, with a CCH BUS. This provided an absolute co-witness which for me personally, was too cluttered of a FOV. No matter how hard I tried, I just could not get used to this set-up.

Using the process of elimination in an attempt to clear up the FOV, my first change was to replace the CCH BUS with a MATECH BUS. This swap to a folding BUS helped, but was still not to my liking.

My options at this point were:

Swap the FSB for a folding front BUS.

Purchase a riser to place the EOTech at the lower 1/3rd co-witness height.

Not wanting to spend more time dwelling over options, I sold the EOTech, purchased an Aimpoint with PRI mount, and never looked back.

(Photos of these set-ups can be seen in Paulo's tutorial.)