PDA

View Full Version : MI/DD/?? bolt-on receiver extension swivels

aus71383
12 January 2008, 16:30
I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to work my sling. I've got a Vltor Modstock, which has the QD swivel attachment near the buttplate, but I'd rather have a QD attachment point up at the front of the buffer tube/receiver extension. My castle nut is staked (as it should be) which means I'll either have to break the stakes loose to install a new receiver endplate or get one of the bolt on QD sling swivel adapters - such as the ones MI and DD are making.
Are there other manufacturer's making similar products?
Does anyone have one of these/experience with one of these?
I see three possible downsides:
Weight because they are bigger than the standard end plate replacements.
Possible rotation - not sure how/if each company designed around this.
Interference with the buffer/spring by possibly causing the receiver extension/buffer tube to be non-concentric since the thing is clamped on to it.

Your input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Austin

JTrusty
12 January 2008, 17:00
If you haven't already, you might want to look at the MCTAR-30 (http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=97) also from MI.
Slips over and encapsulates the castle nut ( no need to break the stake ),
extremely light weight and accepts ( and comes with ) a push button swivel.

aus71383
12 January 2008, 17:32
I was looking at that one, as well as the "HD" one like it. Its hard to tell anything from their website - only one picture, not installed, and no information really. I was also looking at the Daniel Defense EZ Carbine QD Swivel Attachment Point (1 and 2 position)

I do like the idea of "encapsulating" the castle nut - but it would be nice to have some feedback if anyone has used one of these.

Austin

chuckles
13 January 2008, 10:31
I have one of the DD ones and I just put mine on the tube between the castle nut and the stock. Maybe it costs a 1/2 inch of collapsibility but it works great. Has sockets on both sides. I suppose you could put it on the castle nut if you wished.