PDA

View Full Version : What sling (and adaptors) for my AR?

Emilio84
21 April 2010, 17:23
So, I did some research and I think I want to go with a three point sling. Who makes a high quality one? I like gear sector's stuff but it looks like they aren't making a three point sling any longer. I was thinking of going with their rail adapter as I like how flush it is with magpul xtm panels. I have a ARFX Entry Stock and I'm not sure how to attach the sling to the stock. Ideas? Can I use a QD back there as well?

For reference my ar is set up as shown:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/paintballny/done-b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/paintballny/done-a.jpg

Muddyboots
21 April 2010, 17:55
Three point sling? What exactly do you want it to do and will a three point REALLY do it?

They aren't being made anymore because people have found better ways of using two point or single point slings depending on what you are doing.

I don't kick doors so I use both Vickers and VTAC two point slings. A search here will reveal a wealth of info...

Muddyboots

rebelEMPIRE
21 April 2010, 18:00
I must first ask: Are you content with the stock you are using? It appears to me that your stock has some limitations with regard to sling options among other things.

-rebelEMPIRE

Emilio84
21 April 2010, 21:50
I must first ask: Are you content with the stock you are using? It appears to me that your stock has some limitations with regard to sling options among other things.

-rebelEMPIRE

I really like the stock and don't have any intention on changing it. There are multiple locations for me to put swivels I just don't know where the best location is.

rebelEMPIRE
22 April 2010, 00:12
I personally can't recommend you any 3-point slings since I haven't used one that didn't get in the way of various shooting positions. But it looks like the best option for your stock is a QD swivel/stud combination. If you haven't used any 3-point slings yet, I really suggest you try one out before you buy. There are 2-point slings which can change to 1-point slings in a heartbeat. And if configured on your weapon correctly, you can use a 2-point with nearly the same versatility as a 1-point sling but without the discomfort. I know I sound like I'm trying to convert you, but when many of us say that 3-point slings are limiting, we really mean it. Supposedly Gear Sector's 3-point sling can convert to a 1-point sling rapidly. I'd love to get my hands on one for testing but last I recall it was in the beta testing stage with a hand picked group of testers. I wasn't aware they were finalized. There's a thread about the GS3P here (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1302-Gear-Sector-GS-3P-(Beta-testing)&highlight=gear+sector+point).

I personally have a GS-2P sling modified to convert to 1-point. It works well, but I'm not fully done with it yet since I put it on hold for a different project.

-rebelEMPIRE

Skintop911
22 April 2010, 11:02
Check out a rapidly adjustable 2-point, ala VTAC and BFG Vickers. Much more utility and better functionality than a 3-point.

Emilio84
22 April 2010, 17:04
2 point sling it is. Assuming I go with a quality brand (Gear Sector, VTAC, Vickers) are they all basically the same? Any of the three really stand out? I want to buy once (buy once cry once) so price while a consideration isn't going to be a dealbreaker unless its a $50 difference.

sonrider657
22 April 2010, 17:04
I cannot recommend a 3-point sling but I run this (http://www.elzetta.com/urban-sentryFAQ.htm) sling in 2-point configuration with QD swivels on each end and it works great.

Kitty
23 April 2010, 00:25
2 point sling it is. Assuming I go with a quality brand (Gear Sector, VTAC, Vickers) are they all basically the same? Any of the three really stand out? I want to buy once (buy once cry once) so price while a consideration isn't going to be a dealbreaker unless its a $50 difference.

Some are wider, some narrower, some padded, some not...it's all personal preference. One of the most 'real deal' shooters I can think of runs a simple piece of non-adjustable webbing from his stock to a rail mounted attachment point. He runs a standard M4 stock with an aimpoint and a rail mounted surefire 6p...and that's it. Just something to think about.

I also heard somewhere that some super awesome high speed guys are attaching two point slings to the outside of the stock by the pad to allow for quicker shoulder transitions for positional shooting.

HS2
24 April 2010, 18:25
I cannot recommend a 3-point sling but I run this (http://www.elzetta.com/urban-sentryFAQ.htm) sling in 2-point configuration with QD swivels on each end and it works great.

I agree. The Urban ERT is a great sling.

okbow68
27 April 2010, 20:00
I must concur with the others on getting the quick adjust 2point sling, but if you must specter gear makes a good three point sling. As far as the sling mounts if you change the stock get one with the attachment point built in for a QD sling swivel and then get a QD sling swivel that mounts on the front of the rail. Midwest Industries among several others make great ones