PDA

View Full Version : FUG vs Troy??

Ranger325
4 May 2010, 06:26
After doing some searching, I thought I'd post the question and see what ya'll think.

My Noveske/VTAC is on order and I want to get a new forward grip. Looking at LaRue's FUG and Troy's Combat Grip. They both seem to provide the options of different lengths and some storage.

What are ya'll using and what do you like. Thanks.................

Regards,

Army Chief
4 May 2010, 07:23
Didn't I just see this same thread posted on M4CN?

I'd say that the answer depends upon (a) the length you want, (b) the profile you are most comfortable with, (c) the method of mounting you favor, and (d) what you do or do not intend to store inside of the grip.

Personally, I don't look to the VFG for storage because I don't like adding any more weight to the front end than is absolutely necessary, and I don't want to get too accustomed to having spares in a component that I may not always have installed. That leaves length (I prefer shorter), circumference/profile (no strong preferences) and the attachment point (QD is always nice to have, provided the lockup is solid).

Neither of your selections are unworthy contenders, though my personal interests at the moment run more toward the Bobro, the (new) Magpul and the DD -- more or less in that order.

AC

liberty057
4 May 2010, 07:44
The FUG is primo. Highly recommended, I use it in the shorty configuration as an indexing point and it rocks. It's light, made from a really nice polymer. I know Troy's is machined from aluminum, not sure of the weight difference between the two. I love the FUG's QD feature too.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4578596908_921e666601.jpg

Ranger325
4 May 2010, 08:27
Didn't I just see this same thread posted on M4CN?

AC

Guilty as charged Chief!! Just trying to cast the net as wide as possible........................

Thus far my experience is with a cheap charlie grip on a Bushmaster, so I really don't know which size I prefer. So, I thought a grip with length options might be a good idea. I don't think storage is not a requirement. Now that I'm getting a quality rifle, I want quality accessories so I'm lookin' and askin'. I'll check out your suggestions!!

Thanks for the input!!

jeffy
4 May 2010, 14:43
I'd take a look at the Magpul RVG. I have a TD but I don't keep anything inside as 3 CR123's make it nose heavy.

http://store.magpul.com/product/65/61

Army Chief
4 May 2010, 15:12
Guilty as charged Chief!! Just trying to cast the net as wide as possible........................ [snip] ... I really don't know which size I prefer.

Not a problem -- it just led to a rather strange deja vu moment for me this morning.

Size is subjective. I became accustomed to the Knight's standard VFG in military trim, and to be honest, that still serves as my baseline when it comes to determining an "ideal" profile. The Magpul would seem to be the biggest departure from the tapered lines of the KAC, but it neverthless strikes me as an emerging best-in-class offering when simplicity and value are factored-in.

I realize that VFGs have grown into a broad sub-market, and that the machining and design refinements available these days do cost more to deliver, but virtually every "big name" VFG on the market right now is commanding a price in the neightborhood of $50 or more -- in some cases, much more -- and this strikes me as a bit ridiculous, considering that most of us will use them for little more than an indexing point.

With this is mind, I suppose the first order of business here is to determine how you intend to use the component, since that may well drive your buying decisions. Variable-length VFGs have their place, but why spend the extra money for a reconfiguration capability you might never care to use?

AC

Ranger325
5 May 2010, 05:07
Good info Chief, thanks. Now that I'm going to get serious about ARs, I want to avoid the 'holster box' syndrome - buy a piece of kit, it doesn't work, throw it in the box, try another, repeat..................you know the drill. I've done it for 30 years.

After reading your post, I may just use my cheap charlie for a while on my new rifle 'til I sort out what I like/want.

VR,

mlosi762
5 May 2010, 07:40
Have you looked at the Magpul AFG? I have one on my BCM 16" middy with DD 12.O lite rail and love it. Felt a little odd at first, but once you get used to it, it's very ergonomical. Just a thought.

Ranger325
5 May 2010, 12:06
Thanks for the idea Los -- I like your avatar and sig line brother!!

Regards,

mlosi762
6 May 2010, 05:10
Like you sig line too bro. It's a classic.

Here's a few pics so you get an idea...

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af44/mlosi762_photos/IMG_1951.jpg

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af44/mlosi762_photos/IMG_1952.jpg

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af44/mlosi762_photos/IMG_1953.jpg

Ranger325
6 May 2010, 08:16
Thanks for the pics Los - sweet rifle!!

Regards,

mlosi762
6 May 2010, 13:28
You bet Ranger325. The only issue with the AFG, is that it does take up a quite a bit of real estate on the rail (if that’s an issue for you). But I love it, and the price is right. Good luck in your search!

prizz23
14 May 2010, 18:13
+1 to the AFG, but i have played with the Troy and is a very well made unit, it's nice that you can shorten the overall height/length. i haven't used the FUG yet so i can't give you my opinion on it.

okbow68
19 May 2010, 20:36
+1 on the FUG but I use mine as a hand stop and dont hold it vertically. The MG AFG looks interesting but it takes up a lot of rail space on a carbine length rail