PDA

View Full Version : What have I left out and need optic help

chazthebiker
9 May 2010, 12:16
Thank you to all on this forum. I have never built an AR platform rifle and have gotten lots of knowledge (for starting out) lurking and reading posts here. This forum has been invaluable to me as I am sure it is to many others. Again, thank you!

I'll be starting my build next month and think I have cobbled together everything I need. I have it all except for the handguard and rail covers. Here's the list:

1. Mega Billet Upper / Lower Receiver set. Rainier (upper has forward assist and dust cover already)
2. Mega Billet Charging Handle (came with receivers). Rainier
3. Stainless Steel LPK from Aim Surplus (don't know the brand)
4. Mega Tactical Trigger from Rainier
5. Noveske 16.1" Recon Stainless Barrel 1:7 twist from Rainier
6. Noveske Mid-length gas tube from Noveske
7. M-16 Bolt Carrier Assembly from Larue Tactical
8. Mil-Spec Receiver Extension kit from Larue Tactical
9. Rainier Arms Xtreme Tactical Compensator from Rainier
10. Troy Folding Sight Combo from Larue Tactical
11. Magpul UBR Stock from Larue (OD Green)
12. Magpul MIAD pistol grip from Rainier (OD Green)
13. Magpul P-mags x 5 (OD Green)
14. Noveske QD End Plate from Noveske (Have since found out I cannot use this with the Magpul UBR Stock: extra parts!)
15. Larue 13.2 Rail from Larue Tactical
16. XTM Rail Covers (10 pkgs) from Larue Tactical (Black & OD Green)

Also need to pick an optic, but I won't be doing that until near Christmas time.
It has been hard to figure out which Optic to eventually get. Really like the Trijicons and have my heart set on their 6x48 with the red chevron. Interested in long range shooting. Also, has anyone sent their rifle out to have a custom camo or other type of finish applied and can make a good recommendation? 7.62 Precision maybe?

Does anyone see any fitting problems with the above parts? I think I read somewhere that the Larue Rail setup has trouble fitting to the Mega Billet upper, but can't find the post. Anyone heard this? (CONFIRMED: Can still use the rails, but not the "Keeper".)

Thanks for everything... including my bad case of BRD.;) Will post pictures as the build progresses.

chazthebiker
15 May 2010, 23:15
OK, ordered the XTM rail covers and 13.2" rail setup from Larue. Guess that's everything.

Stickman
16 May 2010, 09:32
Should be a nice setup, have you figured out what glass you are going with yet?

The Tijicon Accupoint may be worth taking a look at.

chazthebiker
16 May 2010, 13:13
Should be a nice setup, have you figured out what glass you are going with yet?

The Tijicon Accupoint may be worth taking a look at.

Thanks Stickman. I am leaning towards the Trijicon line. I know scant little about optics. Won't be able to order one until around Christmas so have plenty of time to learn. I like to shoot long distances for the challenge. I think the iron troys will serve well even out to 200 yards. I'll look at the Accupoint. I really respect what you suggest and enjoy the photo work you do very much. In fact, your photos inspired me to assemble my own rather than just buy a complete rifle off the shelf. Thanks!

This is a good forum. Some of the others get way too intense and emotional with their arguements.

Next assembly will be a wooden stocked AR for my Dad. It will be sort of a tribute to his 28 years in the Marine Corps. He's been retired for a long time, but I'd like to do that for him. I'll have a Marine Corps Emblem inlayed in the stock. The stock, pistol grip and forearm will all be walnut.

chazthebiker
31 May 2010, 14:53
Almost done with the build. The LPK I got from AIM Surplus has a bent bolt catch so have to order another bolt catch. The flash hider I ordered must have also been left out of a shipment. Just waiting on those two parts to come in. One thing I am disappointed in is the fact that the keeper for the Larue Rails cannot be used with a Mega Billet Upper. Had to leave it off. Will post pics once I get the bolt catch and flash hider in.

Creeky73
31 May 2010, 15:53
I am jealous of the Noveske barrel, I almost went with one myself. I should be able to finish up my build in the next week or two. Being that this is my first firearm build, I am veeery nervous that I am going to do something wrong and either have a gun that doesn't work properly (with no idea what to do about it) or one that blows up in my face. the last thing I want is a $2k paperweight or permanent disfigurement to my already ugly mug.

as for optics, I am going to go with an eotech XPS model. still expensive, but not so bad as aimpoint (especially after buying a quality mount) and certainly not as bad as trijicon, although you mentioned you want something more for long range.

chazthebiker
31 May 2010, 21:06
I am jealous of the Noveske barrel, I almost went with one myself. I should be able to finish up my build in the next week or two. Being that this is my first firearm build, I am veeery nervous that I am going to do something wrong and either have a gun that doesn't work properly (with no idea what to do about it) or one that blows up in my face. the last thing I want is a $2k paperweight or permanent disfigurement to my already ugly mug.

as for optics, I am going to go with an eotech XPS model. still expensive, but not so bad as aimpoint (especially after buying a quality mount) and certainly not as bad as trijicon, although you mentioned you want something more for long range.

I was worried about the build too, but found it to be just as easy as everyone said it would be. Don't sweat it. Heck, I even managed to avoid launching a spring across the garage. I consider that a small victory in itself.

One other snag I ran into is that the "keeper" for the Larue Free Float rails will not work on a Mega Billet Upper. Seems like the upper is too beefy so the hole for the gas tube sets too high. Did use the spacer anyway. I'm wondering if this is the case for all billet upper receivers.

I'm still waiting on a bolt catch and flash hider. I probably should not have ordered the LPK from AIM Surplus as it had no name. It wasn't that it was any less expensive than any other LPK, but that it was stainless steel. Since I live in Florida and the weapon will be stored for long periods until I finish my work, I wanted something that would not rust so easily. Stainless will still rust under the right conditions, just not as readily as other steels. The flash hider never got here so to replace it I ordered the Rainier Xtreme Tactical Compensator. Not exactly a flash hider.

The Noveske Barrel is nice. The Recon profile is heavier than some profiles, but that should suit my purpose. One thing I did not realise was that I could have got it coated in a black finish. Wish I had known that. It will have to wait for another time.

I should also paint the stainless gas tube a flat black.

I'm going to have to wait on the Optics. I am out of money. I've got close to $2.5k in mine and have not bought a sling or the QD mount for it yet.

Have fun man! Will post pics once the orphan parts get here. Let me know how you like the Eotech. I have another lower ssitting around and may assemble a shorter rifle from it. Maybe a 13.7" WOA barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider. An Eotech may fit the bill for that very nicely. Need to win the lottery real bad.

Creeky73
31 May 2010, 22:17
the problem with the handguard not fitting the billet upper is fairly common from what I understand...I had a Sun Devil upper that I would have had that issue with, but found posts from others who discovered that issue for me. Not all billet uppers are as beefy as Mega or Sun Devil. I got the Rainier Arms Ultramatch upper, which is not as thick as those two, and I know the Daniel Defense Lite rails will work with it, so perhaps the Larue would as well. I also got that compensator you mentioned tossed in for free with it, so I am stoked about that. I originally had no intention of buying it, but when I got it, I was pretty impressed with it so I decided to use it. For free, you can't beat it.

I am with you on building another rifle at some point, although for me it is almost more about the money I have in the tools as opposed to the extra parts. I have enough friends with AR's now that I am unloading just about all my spare equipment, but now I am going to have about $450 in AR tools laying around...can't let those go to waste :)

chazthebiker
1 June 2010, 05:07
I had seen a post somewhere about the Larue rails vs Mega Billet uppers, but then could not find it to confirm what I thought I read... so ordered anyway. It would be an easy fix for Larue and I may call them to see whether they already have the fix in the works.

I saw another post by you concerning the Rainier compensator. That was a sweet deal.

Know what you mean about the tools. I was glad I got every one of them though.

TehLlama
1 June 2010, 16:10
If you're doing long range work with that, a Leupy TS30 or NF 2.5-10x32mm would be on the short list of optics. Midrange, the Accupoint or maybe Vortex Viper PST (I'll review mine, get back to you on that) would be a leading option.
On a budget, XPS or Aimpoint Micro will be the ticket, but the TR24G's are a lot of optic for the money.

chazthebiker
1 June 2010, 16:26
If you're doing long range work with that, a Leupy TS30 or NF 2.5-10x32mm would be on the short list of optics. Midrange, the Accupoint or maybe Vortex Viper PST (I'll review mine, get back to you on that) would be a leading option.
On a budget, XPS or Aimpoint Micro will be the ticket, but the TR24G's are a lot of optic for the money.

Thanks TehLlama!

chazthebiker
4 June 2010, 13:53
The Larue Rail fits fine... the "Keeper" is the issue. Talked to Larue and they tell me to dremel the keeper to open a pathway for the gas tube.