PDA

View Full Version : Which rail covers?

chazthebiker
11 May 2010, 07:06
Just wondering what folks might think are a good choice for rail covers on Larue rails? Really like the digital cammo look in Stickman's photos and some of the pics I see. I'll have Larue's 13.2 rails. Also, are the index clips a good idea? I don't have any rail accesoires yet, so will be covering the whole rail. Thanks for your input guys!

liberty057
11 May 2010, 07:49
Magpul/Ergo ladder covers for me. Love the slim profile of those along with the the LT rail...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4597504453_4fcb42ddf1.jpg

Specialized Armament
11 May 2010, 13:53
Knight's...

If you actually shoot your rifle, especially during the summer months, your rail gets hot and the ladders do nothing to prevent heat transfer to your meat hooks.

liberty057
11 May 2010, 14:15
Knight's...

If you actually shoot your rifle, especially during the summer months, your rail gets hot and the ladders do nothing to prevent heat transfer to your meat hooks.

??? ... how many mag dumps are you talking? Never been a problem.

chazthebiker
11 May 2010, 16:36
??? ... how many mag dumps are you talking? Never been a problem.

Wanted to quote both of you, but haven't learned to do that yet. You guys made me laugh.

Thought about a ladder along the bottom. Also think they might look cool all the way around. Especially if they are OD Green against those black rails. Get to order the rails and covers on Friday. I think that gives me all the parts I need. I posted about my parts list earlier this week to see if I left out anything, but nobody answered. That might be because it was complete though. It's my first build, so I hope I remembered to order everything.

Think I'll go for the ladders until I scape a little more money together. Yeah, I know, probably shouldn't worry about how the rifle looks... but can't resist that. Obviously, function is most important. If you can get both form AND function, even better.

Probably won't get to shoot more than 1k or 2k rounds through it a year. I'm only home about 7 weeks a year due to my job.

If this assembly goes ok, I'm going to build my Dad an AR with wooden stock, pistol grip, and hand guards.

Thanks for the input guys!

chazthebiker
11 May 2010, 16:37
Liberty: Very nice rifle by the way. Very nice!

chazthebiker
15 May 2010, 23:10
OK, ended up ordering the XTM rail covers from Larue and finally ordered the 13.2" Larue rails. I get home on the 28th. Can't wait to put this thing together.

Stickman
16 May 2010, 09:41
The XTM panels should work well, and much better than the little clips or ladder covers. As SA commented, you want protection from heat (and impact), and the ladders and clips aren't going to do that.

ghostman1960
16 May 2010, 11:56
I second Stickman on the XTM panels. I think XTM panels are the best choice to protect my Troy rails. Sections can be removed for the attachment of accessories such as lights and VFGs. They are a inexpensive way to protect your expensive front rails.

Crappy pics of my middy with and without the panels
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/DSCF0230.jpg
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/DSCF0222.jpg

chazthebiker
16 May 2010, 13:33
Very nice! I haven't even laid eyes on the stuff I ordered. It's going to be a lot of fun getting home and opening everything up. Also, I have not ordered an endplate with a QD sling attachment. Got any recommendations? The Noveske plate seems like it will keep the sling attachment out of the way. Looking to go with a single point sling, maybe with a bungee style? Just don't know.

HeavyDuty
16 May 2010, 14:18
I ended up going with XTMs on my new rail, too - but it was a tough choice between them and Magpul XT panels...

Did you end up ordering mixed colors?

ghostman1960
16 May 2010, 15:02
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/ghostman1961/DSCF02423.jpg

ghostman1960
17 May 2010, 16:11
Sorry I got carried away with the pics.

chazthebiker
17 May 2010, 18:02
I ended up going with XTMs on my new rail, too - but it was a tough choice between them and Magpul XT panels...

Did you end up ordering mixed colors?

Sure did. I ordered them in OD green and black. Might end up with one more color if the two don't do the trick. Maybe add foliage? Not sure how light colored that is. Is yours solid color or multi? They both look good, but some of the multi colored pics I see look real sharp.

chazthebiker
17 May 2010, 18:05
Very nice rifle Ghostman! You know, I can remember Colt AR15's being sold at Walmart in the early 1980's for $450. Can't see them ever going down in value. Guns might be the new gold.

chazthebiker
17 May 2010, 18:07
Sorry I got carried away with the pics.

No such thing as getting carried away bubba. Nice rifle!

HeavyDuty
18 May 2010, 01:29
Sure did. I ordered them in OD green and black. Might end up with one more color if the two don't do the trick. Maybe add foliage? Not sure how light colored that is. Is yours solid color or multi? They both look good, but some of the multi colored pics I see look real sharp.

My carbine with the XTMs has a Foliage stock and a mixture of Foliage, OD and FDE covers. No black, too contrasty IMO.

ghostman1960
18 May 2010, 03:09
Very nice rifle Ghostman! You know, I can remember Colt AR15's being sold at Walmart in the early 1980's for $450. Can't see them ever going down in value. Guns might be the new gold.

This is the logic I will use with my wife when I purchase my next rifle.

chazthebiker
18 May 2010, 05:26
This is the logic I will use with my wife when I purchase my next rifle.
Worked for me!

chazthebiker
18 May 2010, 05:27
My carbine with the XTMs has a Foliage stock and a mixture of Foliage, OD and FDE covers. No black, too contrasty IMO.

Got a picture?

HeavyDuty
18 May 2010, 06:19
Got a picture?

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac123/HDF62/AGP-1-2.jpg

chazthebiker
18 May 2010, 15:50

Really really like what you've done with the rail covers. That is real nice. Might have to order myself more colors. Thanks!

Urban Tactical Gear
18 May 2010, 17:53

heavyduty, how did you manage to mount your sling mount OVER an xtm panel?

HeavyDuty
18 May 2010, 18:50
heavyduty, how did you manage to mount your sling mount OVER an xtm panel?

I are a Witch.

No, seriously - the XTM pair is cut to tightly fit the space using a modeler's miter box and a razor saw. It took about five minutes to do.

Quib
18 May 2010, 19:47
Haven't had a desire to look at anything other than KAC.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4055/4546295701_a722e5af06_o.png

Aragorn
19 May 2010, 12:46
I'm curious about the KAC panels. I've noticed that they're popular, but can't help but wonder why when I see the price tag on them. Is it because of their texture/consistency? Or just the fact that they lock? Ergo makes locking panels that are significantly cheaper. I don't actually own either, I'd just like to know ~ Just in case I'm missing out :P. What IS the texture on the KAC's anyways? Is it rubberized?

TehLlama
19 May 2010, 15:40
Just hard plastic. They do well with heat, but I really don't take much of a liking to them myself - I'll try and stipple the ones I have.
For setups that don't get moved around a bunch, XTMs are more attractive for the money - I pulled the KAC panels and replaced them with XTMs on my 'work' paperweight, and I was much happier.

Quib
19 May 2010, 16:14
The "new" asking price on the KAC panels might be hard to justify for some, but they can be had cheaper if you look around.

I feel the KAC panels do exactly what is required and I need look no further.

- Positive Grip
- Sturdy
- Thin Profile
- Positive Locking
- Complete Rail Coverage/Protection
- Protection From Barrel Heat

Vern1968
20 May 2010, 04:43
I was torn between Magpul XTM covers and the LaRue index clips. I am not going to lie, looks mattered quite a bit. I went XTM's and I love them. They do make the grip a lot thicker. They aren't that hard to take off with a little practice. Ithink mixing up the colors looks cool in the right configuration.

chazthebiker
20 May 2010, 07:36
I was torn between Magpul XTM covers and the LaRue index clips. I am not going to lie, looks mattered quite a bit. I went XTM's and I love them. They do make the grip a lot thicker. They aren't that hard to take off with a little practice. Ithink mixing up the colors looks cool in the right configuration.

Thanks Vern1968. I think so too. No reaspn why our weapons can't look good and function well. Heck, any AR is a big chunk of change no matter how you look at it. From the cost of a basic rifle to the ammunition. I would imagine it isn't hard to spend more on ammunition in a year than the rifle costs. In three to five years we probably spend many times what the rifle costs in ammo. I think the customization options are part of the point of an AR platform. People can build exactly what they think they want as quickly or slowly as they want. To me, that is just really cool. The AR platform is an "every man's" platform. Got a pic of your setup?

chazthebiker
20 May 2010, 07:45
Haven't had a desire to look at anything other than KAC.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4055/4546295701_a722e5af06_o.png

Nice rifle Quib! Bet that grip tape helps out on the lower receiver magwell.

Quib
20 May 2010, 07:50
Nice rifle Quib! Bet that grip tape helps out on the lower receiver magwell.

Thank you Sir.

I have it applied to the magwell, in addition to the front portion of the PG. PG is barely visible though in this pic.

Vern1968
21 May 2010, 18:26
Thanks Vern1968. I think so too. No reaspn why our weapons can't look good and function well. Heck, any AR is a big chunk of change no matter how you look at it. From the cost of a basic rifle to the ammunition. I would imagine it isn't hard to spend more on ammunition in a year than the rifle costs. In three to five years we probably spend many times what the rifle costs in ammo. I think the customization options are part of the point of an AR platform. People can build exactly what they think they want as quickly or slowly as they want. To me, that is just really cool. The AR platform is an "every man's" platform. Got a pic of your setup?

I'll take some pictures this weekend. My LaRue FUG is on the way and I can't wait!

Waveman
21 May 2010, 19:14

We can only hope....I have more guns than gold.......