PDA

View Full Version : Militec-1 Lubricant.

Paulo_Santos
19 January 2008, 11:27
I just wanted to share this with you guys. I know there are other good products out there, and I feel you can add this one to the list of good products to use.

I was introduced to Militec-1 last year when my LT at work obtained a couple of sample bottles from a local gun show he went to. (This is the stuff that our Military is using out in Iraq and Afghanistan.). So far, I've been using it for just about 6 months and I am very satisfied with it. I used to use CLP and although it worked good, it just doesn't compare to the Militec-1. I just finished up a 1000 round test in which I shot approximately 1000 rounds without cleaning my AR and I just cleaned it and the carbon wiped right off without any scrubbing like I would have to do with CLP. Even the bolt doesn't get that usual build-up where carbon usually accumulates. Although the initial application process sounds like a pain in the butt, it is pretty easy if you just use a blow-dryer. I did a very good cleaning and then applied some Militec-1 on everything and heated the parts up with a blow-dryer until it got hot. I then wiped it down and I was done. You don't have to leave it real wet like you have to with the CLP. Here is some info directly from the Militec-1 website: (I edited the part about the Additional Application Instructions.).

CHARACTERISTICS: MILITEC-1 Synthetic Metal Conditioner has the unique ability to create a complex, molecular compound within the surface of heated gunmetal. This causes MILITEC-1 to become part of the metal, not merely a temporary coating or a boundary film. There are two main characteristics of this safe new compound. First, it seals and conditions the metal by stiffening (not hardening) the metal surface. Second, it makes the gunmetal self-lubricating under all environmental conditions.

SELF-LUBRICATION: After a complete application, a MILITEC-1 conditioned firearm is self-lubricating. Self-lubrication gives the firearm's gunmetal the dry lubricity that is required for sustained fire under all environmental conditions. If exposure to dust, sand, or extreme cold is a concern, all excess MILITEC-1 must be wiped away, leaving the firearm's surface metal clean, dry, and constantly lubricated. Please note: Complete corrosion protection and self-lubrication is attained only after both Step One and Step Two (below) are completed.

PREPARATION: To take full advantage of MILITEC-1's unique properties, start with a clean firearm. Although MILITEC-1 contains a mild detergent that will help with subsequent cleaning, there are no solvents or other hazardous materials in MILITEC-1, so it cannot remove old caked-on fouling and build-up from other lubes. Thus, if a firearm is dirty, you must clean it with a solvent before you proceed. Normal fieldstrip cleaning should be perfectly adequate. If possible, remove the handgrips, clean and prepare.

INITIAL TREATMENT: Applying MILITEC-1 to a firearm for the first time is a two-step process: (1) Application and (2) Firing.

STEP ONE: APPLICATION. Now that the firearm is clean and dry, apply a light film of MILITEC-1 to all surfaces, including the bore. Burnish/polish MILITEC-1 into exterior surfaces by rubbing rapidly using a cloth lightly dampened with MILITEC-1. Sparingly apply drops into the action, concentrating on springs, moving parts and metal-to-metal contact areas. If your firearm has a magazine, be sure to apply MILITEC-1 both inside and out. Leave a very light film of MILITEC-1 on all surfaces during reassembly. Now proceed to Step Two.

STEP TWO: FIRING. Once you fire your weapon enough times to reach operating temperatures, the heat and friction will activate MILITEC-1, strengthening the bonding process that was started in Step One. While firing, MILITEC-1 creates a self-lubricating, water-repelling, dry compound within the gunmetal.

ADITIONAL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: If Step Two is not immediately possible, consider applying low heat to the firearm to facilitate the bonding process until you can perform Step Two. Just use the blow-dryer as I explained above and it will be fine. I actually spoke with the guy from Militec-1 and he said to just use the blowdryer if you can't fire it as in the step above.

ULTIMATE PROTECTION: To maximize the effects of MILITEC-1, repeat Step One and Step Two while the firearm is still hot from the first firing session. MILITEC-1's impregnated molecular bond intensifies during the next 2-3 applications on hot gunmetal. MILITEC-1 has now become a physical part of the gunmetal.

SUBSEQUENT APPLICATIONS: It is important to continue using MILITEC-1 to lubricate your firearm throughout its normal service life. Consistent use of MILITEC-1 will maintain the self-lubricating effect, maximize corrosion protection, and minimize wear on all friction surfaces. Fouling, deposits and metallic debris do not adhere as easily to gunmetal surfaces conditioned with MILITEC-1. For maximum corrosion protection, and especially if long-term storage is anticipated, leave a very light film of MILITEC-1 on all surfaces, after both steps or field application procedures are completed.

APPLICABILITY: MILITEC-1 is recommended for all pistols, shotguns, rifles, automatic weapons, tank guns and artillery of all calibers and sizes. Note: MILITEC-1 will alleviate jamming due to tight tolerances.

The great thing about the Militec-1 is that it has a cleaning solvent built in and you don't have to use any other product separately. I have shot my AR in the rain and in the snow and there is no rust anywhere. They even recommend lubricating the magazines with, which I heard wass dumb thing to do so I didn't bother. Well, my PRI mags are now starting to rust, so I wish I had lubricated them. Live and learn. I use the Militec-1 on everything including the barrel, just like I would use the CLP. If anyone tries it or has already used it, post your thoughts/comments.

http://www.militec.com/

Stickman
20 January 2008, 10:30
You may want to try TW25B. I've yet to use anything else that works as well. It was recommended to me by some guys who are on nuke teams, and it has done everything that said it would.

I've used Militec, and its fine when you use the different steps of heating it up to get it into the pores, but I never saw huge differences with it. I did like that you didn't need huge amounts of it. My supply of it is just about gone, and after using it for the past few years, I'll be sticking with TW25B for my duty carbines.

I know that there is a vocal crowd of people who dislike Militec, I'm not one of them. Its worked well for me, but I don't think its in the same league as TW25B from what I've seen.

NvrenufRR
22 January 2008, 19:09
+1 for Militec-1 and TW25B. Both are A1 products and I search for both specifically when needing new lubricants.
I too have used militec for a long time, I never went thru the heating processes, but a little went a long way and stayed until it was cleaned unlike most other CLP's.

Not to Hijacl the thread, But, another amazing product is Eezox. I use it for my bores and coat my surfaces with it. This is the best rust inhibiting product I have ever found for my firearms. It way surpasses any other product for salt test. I used to live in high humidiy area and Never had a oxidation problem even after a 2 year of storage. Cold shot zero was maintained in all weapons also.

NvrenufRR
25 January 2008, 18:37
An update on my opinion of Militec-1.

I recently found a bottle tucked away in the safe for reserve and think it became foul.
It had a terrible odor and almost became fermented with a milky, filmy seperation.

I have continued using this Militec without any problems or changes from it's normal behavior or reliability.

After reading this post thoough, I contacted them by email last night regarding the product prroblem. I received a phone call from the owner this morning around 10 EST abou tthe email and product. Hw was a pleasure to speak with and is sending me a FEW new bottles of replacements for my bad product. He said it wasnt necessary to send mine back, but I will anyways, if they are kind enough to give me newe ones, I will send the old one back for testing.

This bottle was old, probably 4+ yrs old, but unopened and kept in a safe.

I bought my HK 45, took it home, coated it properly with this particular bottle of militec, and it ran flawlessly, (just like the rest of the weapons I have eve used it on and continue to). I ran NATO 45 ball, Wolf 45 ball, WWB ball, Fiochhi 45 ball and some handloads through it with nothing even closely resembling a hiccup.

I just wanted those here to know IMO I think Militec-1 is worth betting my life on daily, as I do, and they have an A+ Customer relation program, a company that stands behind it's product 110%

[wow]

parabellum
1 February 2008, 17:04
You may want to try TW25B. I've yet to use anything else that works as well. It was recommended to me by some guys who are on nuke teams, and it has done everything that said it would.

I use TW25B on all my pistols. Not on my carbines tho. Still not sure about a grease in an AR.

TW25B is a great lubricant, I'd just rather use motor oil on my carbines, because I'm having good results.

louie
1 February 2008, 21:29
I use Militec-1 on all of my semi-auto pistols and my AR's. Follow the steps on the bottle. Use it on frames, slides, barrels, BCG's, etc. Several treatments are suggested.

(I have found that it does penetrate the metal, therefore protecting it, but it also makes cleaning the weapon quite a bit easier. You can even use it on your magazines.)

I then apply TW25b grease to the slides and rails, and use TW25b spray on a clean cotton cloth, to wipe down everything else.

For the M-14 I use either Lubriplate or Plastilube.

Sandman751
29 May 2008, 11:52
Both Militec and TW25B are excellent products. I've been using Militec in my M4 overseas for a pretty long time and swear by it. I also keep a spare 5 Qrt container of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil in my garage and use it on my M4 for training. I have one of those squirt bottles used by wife to die her hair. I had my wife buy me a spare. I fill it up with the motor oil an I'm GTG.

TigerStripe
29 May 2008, 12:18
I use Breakfree for the most part. It hasn't failed me yet. I have a tube of TW25B that I really haven't used.

TS

Paulo_Santos
30 May 2008, 15:19
I'm still using this stuff and I still think it is the best stuff that I ever used.

louie
30 May 2008, 23:51
Militec-1 and TW25b.

I use a hairdryer (blowdryer) for the Militec-1 treatment. I like 'em both, though I don't shoot my weapons nearly as much as some members in here. I do like the Militec-1 for use on my Sig's!

Abiqua
8 September 2008, 13:42
I took a couple of pistol mags and wiped one down with Breakfree and the other I wiped down with Militec. I let them sit on the shelf for a couple of months and when I got them down, the Breakfree one was covered with dust and the Militec one was still dust free.

drcohen
8 October 2008, 11:06
I always take issue with misinformation. Politicians are enough to swallow right now.

TW-25B is widely approved if not specified on almost every medium caliber weapon within the U.S. Military and w/ our Allies. Read those words carefully.

The Army, etc. offers the Mil-Spec CLP and LSA, but TW-25B is the #1 "commercial" weapons lube with relevant 20 NSNs. No other commercial/non-Mil-Spec weapons lubricant technology is approved by weapons program PMs. Tango Whiskey Two Five Bravo - proven most reliable in combat since Operation Desert Storm.

Gatling guns on fighter aircraft like the M61A1 and M197 - that's TW-25B/MC-3000. M-240, M-24[adore]9, M-60, MK19, M3P ... etc. etc. And its the official lube of SigSauer. Used by over two dozen firearms factories. etc. etc.

www.mil-comm.com

Eric
8 October 2008, 12:58
I always take issue with misinformation. Politicians are enough to swallow right now.

TW-25B is widely approved if not specified on almost every medium caliber weapon within the U.S. Military and w/ our Allies. Read those words carefully.

The Army, etc. offers the Mil-Spec CLP and LSA, but TW-25B is the #1 "commercial" weapons lube with relevant 20 NSNs. No other commercial/non-Mil-Spec weapons lubricant technology is approved by weapons program PMs. Tango Whiskey Two Five Bravo - proven most reliable in combat since Operation Desert Storm.

Gatling guns on fighter aircraft like the M61A1 and M197 - that's TW-25B/MC-3000. M-240, M-24[adore]9, M-60, MK19, M3P ... etc. etc. And its the official lube of SigSauer. Used by over two dozen firearms factories. etc. etc.

www.mil-comm.com

Thanks for joining us here. Greg works for Mil-Comm in Customer Service.
I know a lot of guys are using TW-25B and are sold on it. Mil-Comm has a good reputation.

Stickman
8 October 2008, 16:41
My only complaint about TW-25B is the price, thankfully it goes a long way.

I've yet to find anything that works better, or as well.

MMG
9 October 2008, 12:14
I'm a believer. This stuff works very well. I use it liberally with an oil floater. It just doesn't get any slicker!