PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for newb question.

Chewiee108
18 May 2010, 02:16
I purchased and installed the geissele stage two trigger. So far im loving the crispness of the break and loving how smooth it is. But I would like to know if I am over looking any break in methods for it. Also I have never seen anyone or heard of anyone cleaning a lower receiver and/or trigger group. Sorry if this is the stupidest question ever, but any ideas on how I should take care of my lower/trigger group...if any. Thanks guys, sorry for the bother.

Eric
18 May 2010, 03:27
Not a stupid question. There really isn't a break-in for the trigger. During installation you can apply a small amount of quality grease on the contact surfaces and I believe that the current trigger packages include a small vile of grease. The lower/FCG does not require much in the way of cleaning/lubrication (compared to other areas). I use a rag and GI type "toothbrush" to clean the accessible areas and cotton tipped applicators to get into the nooks and crannies. A few drops of CLP/lube will go a long way.

Check out Quib's Lube Points info. (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1606-AR15-LUBE-POINTS)

Quib
18 May 2010, 03:55
As far as cleaning goes, as Eric stated, often times q-tips, a GI tooth brush, or a small artists paint brush may be all that is required.

For heavier cleaning, a flushing with solvent such as mineral spirits, followed up with compressed shop air can be a time saver.

As with any solvent that strips away lubrication, reapplication of lube will be necessary.

alpha.kilo
18 May 2010, 13:38
I have always thought that the lower receiver is often overlooked during maintenance. I recommend hitting the lower and trigger group with a shot of compressed air to knock any junk out of there during the cleaning process. I am surprised what flys out of there sometimes.

Quib
18 May 2010, 14:23
These are older photos, but they still help to illustrate how I use my Odorless Mineral Sprits/ Break-Free CLP mixture to flush out a very dirty lower receiver. The turkey baster and small paint brush really help in flushing out the deposits. Follow up with a blast of compressed air, re-oil the points requiring lubrication.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4061/4619338397_c95e40da82_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/4619952138_acfed8607a_o.jpg

Chewiee108
19 May 2010, 02:13
Wow, thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Quib
20 May 2010, 05:54
Not a problem. Always glad to try and help. [:)]

chazthebiker
20 May 2010, 07:53
Good thread. I never would have thought of the turkey baster. That's a great idea. Thanks!

Quib
20 May 2010, 07:57
Good thread. I never would have thought of the turkey baster. That's a great idea. Thanks!

LOL.......Frau Quib didn't think it was such a great idea. I personally didn't see what the big deal was............[:D]

tpelle
21 May 2010, 12:01
LOL.......Frau Quib didn't think it was such a great idea. I personally didn't see what the big deal was............[:D]

That was probably due to when the turkey exploded last Thanksgiving when the CLP fumes ignited in the oven.

Quib
21 May 2010, 12:18
LOL............Blitzturkey! [:D]