PDA

View Full Version : Omega rail question

HeavyDuty
22 May 2010, 10:15
Question: does the Omega index on the barrel nut teeth, or can its position be fine-tuned left or right and then locked down using the setscrews?

Thanks!

OfcPowder
22 May 2010, 17:16
I had an Omega and it goes over the barrel nut teeth, then the set screws pull the rail away from the barrel nut, creating a rock solid mount on the barrel nut. Just install it as the directions say and you're good to go. I used one on duty for a couple years and loved it.

HeavyDuty
9 June 2010, 18:32
I had an Omega and it goes over the barrel nut teeth, then the set screws pull the rail away from the barrel nut, creating a rock solid mount on the barrel nut. Just install it as the directions say and you're good to go. I used one on duty for a couple years and loved it.

Sorry, I didn't see your reply for some reason. Thanks!

Followup question...

My Omega 7.0 arrived today - I bought a clean used one. It mounted up with no problem, but rail covers are giving me issues. I prefer XTs and tolerate XTMs; I've never been a big ladder fan.

The XTs have backside ribs that cause interference with the solid sections at the end of the sides, with the screws and with the ends of the rails. I'd have to carve the back of the XTs to get them to fit right.

Any ideas? Those of you that have an Omega 7.0 and run XTs, how you you do it?

HeavyDuty
10 June 2010, 10:41
OK, I figured it out - I clipped one segment from each of the three panels. I then shaved the crossbar on the backside rear of each panel to fit against the rail - the sides had to be trimmed differently than the bottom. The end result is XT panels that extend from just forward of the Delta ring to the middle of slot 31.

This is the first time I've ever needed to trim panels just to get them to mount. I must have been lucky!

OfcPowder
10 June 2010, 10:54
Glad you got it figured out... I'm a ladder guy myself, I liked the thin profile of the Omega and didn't want to bulk it out too much.

HeavyDuty
10 June 2010, 11:26
I agree, the profile is the best feature of the Omega. I've just never warmed to rail covers, XTs are noticeably thinner than XTMs and work well for me.

The next challenge is in fitting my Gear Sector HK loop to the new rail. The crossbolt needs to go through the same slot as the left side rear Omega screw... I may need to replace it, the screw head sticks up too far for the crossbolt to properly fit.