PDA

View Full Version : Ar lower touch up?

Arsone23
22 May 2010, 15:46
Hey guys,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a touch up pen or something of the sort to take care of the slight marring on my DSA lower? Not sure if this has been covered or not, but, any ideas or threads would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to refinish the whole lower, just touch up a few nicks.

Thanks!

5pins
22 May 2010, 20:27
Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4941/Product/ALUMINUM_BLACK

You could try a black magic marker too.

Quib
23 May 2010, 07:05
1) Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black will work if the scratch or nick protrudes deep enough into the surface of the aluminum for the chemical process to take effect and turn the aluminum dark. De-greasing is extremely critical to obtaining the correct result, and often times the process must be repeated to get a match to the receivers finish.

2) Black modelers paint is of course another option.

3) Leave it be. There's a big difference between "use" and "abuse" and a weapon that gets used, will shows signs of that use.

Stickman
23 May 2010, 09:58
Hey guys,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a touch up pen or something of the sort to take care of the slight marring on my DSA lower? Not sure if this has been covered or not, but, any ideas or threads would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to refinish the whole lower, just touch up a few nicks.

Thanks!

Many times a good rub with a CLP soaked cloth will clean it up. What appears to be marring is often transfer from other materials. I would give that a shot first. You can always use the Alumablack later if it an actual gouge into the surface.

Quib
23 May 2010, 10:15
Many times a good rub with a CLP soaked cloth will clean it up. What appears to be marring is often transfer from other materials. I would give that a shot first. You can always use the Alumablack later if it an actual gouge into the surface.

Good point Stick!

Scuffs from brushing up against other metallic objects can often times leave behind traces of that metal embedded into the surface of the weapon. A good copper solvent on a q-tip can help in removal.

Arsone23
24 May 2010, 22:57
Thanks again all!

The alumablack is what I was thinking of. The guy that sold me the lower mentioned it, I just didn't remeber what he called it. I'm working on my first assembly, marred up the bolt catch roll pin area a little. Just want it to look nice when I'm finished. Wear and tear after that from use is alright with me. Thanks again guys the info you provide on this forum is great!