PDA

View Full Version : headspace question

Creeky73
24 May 2010, 17:44
I have yet another stupid question, which you guys should be used to from me by now. I am getting very close to having all the tools and parts to finish the build I have been working on for about a year now, and I want to find out what I need to know about headspace. Can someone school me on what this is, what tool(s) I need to check it, etc? If it helps any, I will be using a BCM 20" barrel, Rainier Arms upper and a rifle-length Adams Arms piston kit, with the bolt carrier running a BCM bolt. Thanks in advance for any help!

Quib
24 May 2010, 18:18
I'll leave the headspace question to the professionals, but I will say this:

There is no such thing as a dumb question. Not on this web site.........

5pins
24 May 2010, 21:19
More then likely you will be fine with head space if your using a new barrel and bolt. However if you want to do it the right way then you can get a head space gage from Brownells. Here is the one you will need.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=15967/pid=/sku/Colt_5_56_Headspace_Gauge

TM 9-1005-319-23&P pages 0015-25 to 0015-26 describes the procedure. You will need to remove the ejector and extractor with the Brownells gage but that is the only difference.

http://generalcartridge.net/Documents/M4%2016%2023Pchange8.pdf

Creeky73
24 May 2010, 21:48
so I can probably get away with not worrying about this for now?

Emilio84
25 May 2010, 07:31
Most people say you don't need to worry about headspace with new parts from teir 1 manufacturers but I personally couldn't see the rational of spending $1600 on my build then not spending the extra $60-70 to make sure it didn't blow up on me first time out at the range.

I went with a set of Go/No-Go gauges from clymers (brownells) and a bolt dissasembly tool from ADCO firearms. Just strip the bolt down and use the dissasembly tool to get the ejector out and then you can check headspace accurately. It takes all of 5 minutes.

Creeky73
25 May 2010, 12:39
more of my stupidity...what exactly are we checking? how the bolt face sits on a live round that is chambered? how well the round feeds into the chamber? I am still not sure about what it is I am checking for...

I completely agree on the money aspect of it, I think I would literally cry if I spent all this money and everything did not work correctly, especially if a malfunction in this area is hazardous to my health. Since this is my first build, and if you look up Murphey's Law in the dictionary there is a picture of me right there, I am almost expecting problems.

5pins
25 May 2010, 15:51
http://www.fulton-armory.com/headspace.htm

chazthebiker
31 May 2010, 21:38
I'll be chacking headspace on mine Creeky74, for all the reasons stated by Emilio84. You can always do the Hail Mary and not check it, but even top tier manufacturers make mistakes sometimes. It's not worth the risk to life and limb, or your rifle investment to leave that out. I read a lot of posts on here about Quality Control checks that should be done by rifle manufacturers (The Chart), think we owe it to ourselves to be just as fastidious. There will be someone who says he has assembled dozens of rifles without a problem. That's probably true, but it just takes one bad one to ruin your day. My suspicion is that all the "Top Tier" manufacturers check headspace. That comes from me: a guy that knows absolutely nothing... but it makes good sense to me. I got the COLT 5.56MM HEADSPACE GAUGE FIELD (.223) from Brownell's for $16.99. The stock number is 319-418-033. I think Emilio's choice is better though. They are at Brownell's also. Just makes sense to me.

That said: I didn't consult The Chart and probably made the wrong choice of BCG not knowing what tests should be done on them for quality.

Creeky73
31 May 2010, 22:23
I agree completely, and have already ordered my headspace gauge from Brownell's. I technically have two builds to put together now, one of which is being sold to a good friend, and I would hate for problems to arise with any firearm I sell to someone, especially to a friend. thanks for all the help, guys.