PDA

View Full Version : Shortest mid-length barrel?

B4RAZ
26 May 2010, 16:53
Hey guys, I have a question about gas system length and barrel length. What its the shortest barrel you can run with a mid-length gas system? The shortest Ive seen is the Noveske Infidel at 13.7''. What would happen if the barrel ended right after the gas block?? Im just curious, thanks!

Keebsley
26 May 2010, 22:31
Shortest I've seen or heard of was 12" and that's the Kino build by Bravo Company.

Stickman
26 May 2010, 23:32
Are you sure about that? The Kino should be a carbine with a midlength positioned FSB. I could just be tired....

Keebsley
27 May 2010, 08:14
You're probably right and I'm just retarded, Stick. :D

TehLlama
27 May 2010, 15:37
Stick is right - Kino is same concept as the dissipators (middy 16" barrel with front sight installed at rifle length) concept applied to a carbine length gas setup and middy located front sight.

For adequate dwell time, 14.5" is as short as you want to go, unless you're running a dedicated suppressed rig.

/threadjack/ Has anybody made a URX-II Mid/Folding front sight/golf ball/TTB Kino layed out 12.5"

B4RAZ
4 June 2010, 14:52
But I want to know why you couldnt place the flash hider directly after the gas block? Anybody?

Optimus Prime
4 June 2010, 16:10
But I want to know why you couldnt place the flash hider directly after the gas block? Anybody?

The bullet would be leaving the barrel before enough gas pressure is built up to reliably cycle the action ("dwell time" refers to the time the bullet has passed the gas port, yet is still in the barrel.)

TehLlama
5 June 2010, 15:46
A 12.5" Middy should be able to run, with the gas port opened up to around the .90 range, but not much gain over just running a carbine.
For a suppressed weapon, it would be pretty viable, but all you'd be gaining over a suppressed 10.5" setup would be muzzle velocity and a bit less baffle wear for length and a bit of weight.

markm
10 June 2010, 18:03
A 12.5" Middy should be able to run, with the gas port opened up to around the .90 range, but not much gain over just running a carbine.

I bet it'd run with a smaller port than .090. You do realize the lower port pressure by moving the port farther away from teh chamber.