PDA

View Full Version : m4 comparison chart

seanmunger
27 May 2010, 00:42
hey guys, i must be blind or something, but i could have sworn that there was a comparison chart on here some where comparing some major m4 manufactuerers and wether they we mil spec or not. can some one point me in the right direction?

Eric
27 May 2010, 01:01
info here. (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642)

seanmunger
27 May 2010, 09:46
thank you

TehLlama
27 May 2010, 15:35
Keep in mind that the chart is a great resource for getting complete rifles, but that there are other ways to build up parts - I recommend using that as a reference for uppers, barrels, and BCG's - but it's possible to take any in-spec lower, put a quality LPK in it, stake your own castle nut (if applicable) and toss an upper, BCG, and charging handle from there.

What that does importantly give you insight into is the twist rate and quality of barrels (unless you're going to shoot less than a case through the lifetime of the rifle): it's absolutely worth your money to spend a tiny bit more up front to get something that's 1:7" Twist, proper CMV/4150 barrel steel, and HPT/MPI tested.
For a good BCG, HPT and MPI tested applies, as does proper staking. The correct spec extractor spring and o-ring can be had for barely any money, though most quality BCG's run within $10 of each other.
Any forged charging handle works, though the BCM Gunfighters are the new standard for high end ones.

Zak Smith has made very telling breakdowns of how much you'll likely spend on the lifetime of a rifle, which makes a great case for the entire buy once cry once mindset, so if your budget commits, farther left on that chart probably means less buying twice.

Stickman
28 May 2010, 22:04
If RobS gets free time he doesn't know what to do with, a second chart of parts would be equally well received by most knowledgeable persons.